'71 - '73 heavy duty trunk torsion bars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 1
Cobra Automotive ground up restoration
Boss 494 Kasse engine built by Carlquist Competition Engines
Modern driveline TKO600
There have been a bunch of questions in different parts of the forum about the availability of heavy duty trunk torsion bars over the years used specifically for cars with the heavy OEM spoiler. I've posted that the heavy duty bars are made from 0.225" diameter spring material as opposed to the regular duty ones being 0.200" diameter spring material. The aftermarket ones that were available several years ago (but are no longer sold) are the regular duty bars and are not capable of holding a spoiler equipped trunk lid open even on the highest tension setting.

Blue Oval Car Barn's (BOCB) owner, Finley Ledbetter, Spring Dynamics Inc., and I collaborated to produce several sets of heavy duty concours torsion bars for BOCB's restoration projects and for sale. Currently there are 25 pairs at BOCB, contact information is below. If there is additional demand another run of parts can be produced as all the engineering drawings and tooling are current.

https://1971mustangs.com/contact-blue-oval-car-barn/

I ordered a set from Eric at Spring Dynamics based on the info you provided in the other posts. Eric said that my torsion rods will ship out on Tuesday. I appreciate your help in locating these, thank you.

There have been a bunch of questions in different parts of the forum about the availability of heavy duty trunk torsion bars over the years used specifically for cars with the heavy OEM spoiler. I've posted that the heavy duty bars are made from 0.225" diameter spring material as opposed to the regular duty ones being 0.200" diameter spring material. The aftermarket ones that were available several years ago (but are no longer sold) are the regular duty bars and are not capable of holding a spoiler equipped trunk lid open even on the highest tension setting.

Blue Oval Car Barn's (BOCB) owner, Finley Ledbetter, Spring Dynamics Inc., and I collaborated to produce several sets of heavy duty concours torsion bars for BOCB's restoration projects and for sale. Currently there are 25 pairs at BOCB, contact information is below. If there is additional demand another run of parts can be produced as all the engineering drawings and tooling are current.

https://1971mustangs.com/contact-blue-oval-car-barn/
Hi,

Are those engineering drawings available somewhere to download?
Sorry for asking that directly, you most probably spent a lot of time to prepare such documentation and would prefer to keep it for yourself, if so I totally understand.

The case is that trying to custom order such thing in USA and its costs of shipment to Central Europe will most probably be overkill for me.

Last edited:
I ordered a set from Eric at Spring Dynamics based on the info you provided in the other posts. Eric said that my torsion rods will ship out on Tuesday. I appreciate your help in locating these, thank you.
Once you receive those, could you let me know if those works for you properly? :)

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Once you receive those, could you let me know if those works for you properly? :)

Your feedback will be much appreciated.
Hi.

I have two sets from Spring Dynamics. They work very nicely.
Hi,

Are those engineering drawings available somewhere to download?
Sorry for asking that directly, you most probably spent a lot of time to prepare such documentation and would prefer to keep it for yourself, if so I totally understand.

The case is that trying to custom order such thing in USA and its costs of shipment to Central Europe will most probably be overkill for me.
Hi,

I have two sets, both work just fine.

Easiest way to get a set is to contact Finley Ledbetter at Blue Oval Car Barn;

[email protected]

He has 25 sets from this run of parts and is selling to other 71 - 73 enthusiasts.

https://1971mustangs.com/

I received my new torsion rods from Spring Dynamics today. I’ve attached pics of the original rods and the new ones the new torsion rods are meatier.

Attachments

• IMG_4269.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4270.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4271.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4273.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Hi.

I have two sets from Spring Dynamics. They work very nicely.

Hi,

I have two sets, both work just fine.

Easiest way to get a set is to contact Finley Ledbetter at Blue Oval Car Barn;

[email protected]

He has 25 sets from this run of parts and is selling to other 71 - 73 enthusiasts.

https://1971mustangs.com/

I received my new torsion rods from Spring Dynamics today. I’ve attached pics of the original rods and the new ones the new torsion rods are meatier.
If it wouldn't be a bother, can you video the installation of these? I have some on order from Findley and have never installed these.

Eric the guy I dealt with at Spring Dynamics charges 90 bucks for a set plus shipping. That was worth it to me since the original Ford made ones that are correct for the fastback trunk lid with the rear wing are made of unobtainium. Finley, at Blue Oval, at $350.00 a set, is very proud of the ones he had made by Spring Dynamics.

Eric the guy I dealt with at Spring Dynamics charges 90 bucks for a set plus shipping. That was worth it to me since the original Ford made ones that are correct for the fastback trunk lid with the rear wing are made of unobtainium. Finley, at Blue Oval, at $350.00 a set, is very proud of the ones he had made by Spring Dynamics.
Sounds like I'll be calling Eric on Monday. Thanks for the info on pricing.

Latest posts

Back