Showing content with the highest reputation on 05/26/2017 in all areas
If your car currently has a tilt column that's just not working, it could be because of broken pieces inside. Mine was stuck in one position when I got it, and when I finally got to taking it out and working on it, the broken pieces just fell out. I found another on ebay, and it worked for about 10-15 tries on the tilt, but it locked into one position as well - it was broken and likely super glued back together for the sale (that's the sucky part about ebay - no test drives). Fortunately, the broken pieces were different between the two columns, and I was able to make a good one out of both broken columns. I'm still not fond of the mechanism (seems like a poor design to me), so I'll be swapping to a Flaming River or Ididit column (with push-button start. maybe) one of these days when I get some of my other projects taken care of. Here's some pics that might be helpful. An exploded view of the tilt column: Lower flanges from both columns - the original (had a broken locking lever) on the bottom, and the 'new' ebay column with the broken piece of the lower flange on top.1 point
Guys, Here's my Model A coupe with a 351 Cleveland and polished valve covers. These covers are aftermarket Ansen covers with the fins machined off the top, rounded corners and polished. Thanks, Jay1 point
Those are date codes and useless, other than telling you he most likely has a mismatched set of heads, as one is a 1970 casting, the other a 73. Casting #'s are on top of the runners in the rocker area of the heads. See pic below. Crummy casting # guide below as well. anonymous picture share sites1 point
Hi, I finaly found a solution for the problem when talking to a friend who is a mechanic dealing mostly with farm equipment (after all, we live in a small village in the worlds largest hop growing area ;-) These machines have a lot of strong springs and he knows how to deal with them. He recommended cutting one coil to beef the spring up a little. Obviously you need to build a new eye on the end that you cut. With the help of an anvil and by using a torch, this was done in a minute. However, you must make sure to heat the spring wire only at one spot and only to a very dark red. Otherwise, the spring might loose its tension. After re-installing the springs the hood now stays open as it should. I have no idea if this will work for another 40 years, but for now, it did the trick. Regards, Manfred1 point
This leaderboard is set to New York/GMT-05:00
Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.