Jump to content


Site Supporters
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by secluff

  1. Geoff, I appreciate you being a good sport with what originally started with your shroud find. The ID # number on the shroud was what piqued my interest. I'm sure the version Master Parts Catalog (USB, CD, Paper Fiche) most members are using is the Final version of May 1975. That number was not in any of them. I even checked my Lincoln/Mercury books. I finally found it in an old June 1971 fiche. At least we now know there is another shroud that is comparable with the cataloged shroud in the 65-72 MPC. I know the flex fan discussion appears occasionally, but for the sake of any new members th
  2. Hello Geoff, I know most of the regulars here have already seen our numerous posts on these flex fans, but this will benefit any new members. Hope you don't mind the slight hijack of you original shroud post! The 71's used a five-blade flex fan if equipped with AC or extra cooling option. Those fans (DOAE-A and D1AE-CA) were not the problem fans. In 1972 Ford went to a 7 blade flex fan to increase airflow due to increasing underhood temps from cramped engine compartments, AC, emissions controls, etc. The problem was they were fracturing in alarming numbers There was a massive re
  3. HelloPNWMach1, As previously posted, there were no production installed remote trunk lid release option on the first generation Mustangs. There was a cable actuated release that was originally released for the 1964 full size Ford that was on the dealer installed accessories list. It was available starting with the early 1964 built '65 Mustangs. In 1967 Ford released an electric version that once again had a full size Ford part number but was available as dealer installed or over the counter choice for all vehicle lines. None eliminated the key actuated latch, so that was some surgery per
  4. Fabrice, I checked the early and final edition 73 MPC (Master Parts Catalog) I have and they both give the same part number on the screws. Probably a catalog error that they didn't care to correct since the Mustang II launch was all they had on their minds then. The only '73 window parts I have are the switches which wouldn't help with the screw sizes. I would use Don C's size suggestion if they match your originals. The illustration shows the MPC number which is evidently wrong. Well...I tried.
  5. The power window switch bezels are sourced from the '73 Gran Torino so the screws are the same on the '73 Mustang. The screws are 8-15 X 1 1/2". The Ford part# is 52388-S13, and the S13 finish code is chrome. The description above the illustration identifies the type of screw used. Did not check the AMK site to see if the discontinued Ford # would cross, but would probably be cheaper at a hardware store.
  6. Hello Geoff, The 4sp Q code 351's were equipped with dual point distributors. Unless an original owner, most people weren't aware of that since it would be safe to say that a lot of 'em were "tossed" over the years or upgraded to electronic. I had noticed them on a couple of my friends 4sp Gran Torinos. I ordered one, so I could also bask in the glory and cool factor of having one on my C6 Q Gran Torino. All was fine until I went to help a friend install a set of dual points in his SCJ Cyclone. Got it done but said #@:!?*& with this. I finally stuck my newly acquired dual point distri
  7. Hello Geoff, I know the decal has been the subject of a lot of discussions. My friend with the Boss 302 swears his came with one from the factory. None of my Mustangs have one. The Ford part number goes back to 1960 (C0AZ) so I'm sure it was used on the production line on plenty of different vehicles over time. The fan shrouds on my early built (9/21/70) and late (7/28/71) both have D1ZE-AA (D1ZZ-8146-A) shrouds. It's also possible that the DOOE-C shroud was sent from Ford as a D1ZZ service part. I have seen that done before when the original and replacing part were functionally
  8. Hello Geoff, Haven't been on here in a while so almost missed your post. That's a great find on that shroud. The DOOE-C shroud was production installed on early 1969 built '70 Torinos through the end of '69. It was replaced by the D1ZZ-8146-A which is the production installed shroud on '71 Mustang from day one. All were service replaced by the D3ZZ-8146-A for 71-73 Mustang and 70-71 Torinos. If after you receive jpazs decal you decide you need another, just let me know. I may have one of the Caution-Fan warning decals left. I needed one for a friends Boss 302 but didn't notice that
  9. Another subject that has caused grief for 71-73 owners for years. As David (Carolina_Mountain_Mustang) posted, the assembly line is a fast-paced world where line workers only had mere seconds to perform their assigned task. The paint room was lucky if they even had two minutes to place a multi-piece stencil and paint before the next hood came through. In that type of environment, it was inevitable that variances were going to happen. As I have posted before, Ford, along with the other manufacturers was in the business of mass-producing vehicles, not show cars. So there were no laser-guided ro
  10. Just as with the '71 Boss, the '72 HO was only available with a 4 speed and 3.91 axle ratio. The available engine/trans/axle ratio chart is from the 1972 Dealer order guide.
  11. As 7173Vert posted, you should perform due diligence before buying one of these premium-priced collector cars. No matter if a Ford, GM, or Mopar fan, everyone knows someone who has been smoked over a bad deal. Scam deals where the car never existed or a car advertised as a one of a kind Boss 429 that started life as a 6cyl car. The snake-oil selling, white shoe wearing con artists are out in full force. They know that the generation that grew up with these cars in the '70s now have the income to purchase these dream cars and will make emotional purchases. Wise people such as yourself will join
  12. The deluxe seat belt option (standard on the verts) included the seat belt warning lamp on the left lower side of the dash board. To avoid redundancy, the left side lamp was eliminated when the federally mandated light/buzzer went into production on the Mustang line 12/1/71. The other lamp you referenced is a park brake warning lamp which was part of the convenience group option. It included trunk, glove compartment, map, under hood lamps, head light on warning buzzer, automatic seat back release, under instrument panel courtesy lamps (standard on vert), park brake warning lamp, and glove box
  13. Just some clarity needed in their description. The 5th button is for locking out all window switches to be non-functional until the driver turns them back on. There was not a production installed power door lock option for the 71-73 Mustang or Cougar. The first year such an option became available on the Mustang was 1979. Depending on the vendor you choose, the door certification labels can be made to indicate whatever you want them to show. The label shown in the Hemmings add is incorrect for an early 71 Mustang. The word "Manufactured" should be spelled out at the top of the label, not
  14. You have made a discovery a lot of folks have found when pulling the tank on these 40+-year-old cars. The black material is what's left of open-cell foam. That foam material was used to permit fuel vapors to pass through the vapor separator valve to the charcoal canister. It also keeps liquid fuel from entering the orifice and possibly stopping the line up which would allow the fuel system to not vent properly. As you can see the orifice is very small and could easily get stopped up with the smallest amount of debris. I have used stainless steel pot scrubbers such as Scotch-Brite, Chore Boy,
  15. Just like in the movie "Used Cars" with Kurt Russell, the white shoe wearing, fast talkin' salesmen have always been around. Now with the internet at the world's disposal, cars with "Borrowed Pictures" and only original once cars with a yard-long list of changes, vetting of these gems are more important than ever! With the rocker panel moldings, lower accent body-color molding, plus the Hockey stick stripes and additional 429 emblems, things were starting to get a little busy on this one. The 429 designation only appears five times!! The fender emblems appear to be from Shelbys accessory "D
  16. The no black paint on the taillight frames, and those particular Mach 1 deck lid and side stripes were unique '73 pieces. The 3/4 vinyl roof was a 71-73 sports roof option and was available on the Mach 1 also. The always present Magnums and rear valence with exhaust cut-outs were not available as production installed items in '73 but still look good on this one. 1973 was also the only year rear bumper guards were available on the Mach 1. Glad to see this one was out for a little cruising.
  17. Hello jscott, Another area where you get various answers for the same question dependent on the store you are in. At one time Ford did have a premium P/S fluid that was sold alongside the transmission fluid. Before it was eventually discontinued it was packaged in a 12oz long neck bottle which made it easy to pour into a P/S pump and vert top reservoirs. To find the Ford fluid use Motorcraft Part# XT-1-QF. I know of several local parts stores that sell Motorcraft and usually have a few bottles of it. As Geoff po
  18. jscott, I've heard a couple of reasons for the long hose. The prevailing version is the extra length was used to allow additional fluid in the system for cooling, the second being that the length was used for pulse dampening. My '71 M code Mach1 has AC with a radiator style PS cooler mounted to the compressor and was equipped with the long pressure hose. The pressure hose also had a foam wrap on it which I'm sure helped little with any cooling. The pulse dampening story.....I never felt any difference with any 72-73 vs my '71! I have also seen cars equipped identically to mine without the AC c
  19. Hello David, There was not a body-color wheel offered through the parts system. The wheels were available in black only and had to be painted at the body shop or by the customer. The corporate hub cap/dog dish only configuration was available across the entire product line except for the T-Bird. An attempt to stock color-keyed wheels considering the hundreds of colors available would have been a logistical nightmare. The steel wheels were shipped with a parts tag wired to them and not boxed like the aluminum or chrome styled steel wheels so undamaged painted wheels would have been rare.
  20. Djustham, the oil pressure sender for ALL 335 series engines (351C, '75/351M, and 400) were in the block behind the intake manifold. The only difference was the sender used for a gauge or idiot lights.
  21. Hello Djustham, First I'll say what a great looking Mach1 you have. It would be a check in the plus column if you did have a Boss engine. Depending on how long ago the original engine was replaced , it could certainly be possible. Before these engines elevated to cult status, it was much easier to find Boss engines and parts in a salvage yard. I remember in early '81 I was approached by a person looking for some Boss 351 rods, pistons, and damper. He had been looking for an engine for a project and this one fell into his lap from a salvage yard.There had been zero interest in this e
  22. Hello mjlan, The knobs on the rear defrost and power top switches are identical in appearance. The rear defrost switch is not being reproduced and the majority of the OE switches seem to have a broken/missing knob. As expected, undamaged OE switches normally bring premium prices. If anyone has a deal to fall through on one you can always refer to the link in my above post. The video was posted by jb73mach and is the 6th post down. The picture is an original DIZZ-18578-B rear defrost switch.
  23. Ford snuck that change in on a bunch of us. The D1ZZ-9725-A pedal was used through 6/18/72. From 6/19/72 the D3ZZ-9725-A pedal was used. The difference was how the cable attached to the gas pedal. The 71 and 72 (before 6/19/72) used an eyelet with a pin and a clip. 72's from 6/19/72 and 73's used a plastic snap in bushing that was part of the accelerator cable.
  24. 1sostatic, This goes to show what a dedicated and true friend you are. Not everyone would be so helpful as to help a friend find a missing knob! I do not have this problem on my '71s since there is no defrost or vert switch in that location. As Eric just testified that is is also a bad location for the 79-86 Fox Mustangs. I have long legs so more than once my knee hit the headlight switch in my '85 GT and broke the plastic retaining nut. I finally ordered extra retaining nuts since it seemed I could not be retrained and it continued to be a recurring problem. To my knowledge th
  25. Hello John J, The suppressor listed in the NPD catalog will work. As long as some of these Vendors have been around, their catalogs are still riddled with incorrect applications and model year ranges. The C6OA-A (C6OZ-18832-A) was used through 1975 when it was replaced with D5AZ-18832-A (D5AA-A). Either one you find will function the same
  • Create New...