Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Manaman's Achievements


Apprentice (3/14)

  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later
  • Conversation Starter

Recent Badges



  1. Hi, You will find that the most of the measurements between the 71-73 are similar, but there appears to be one dimension that is way off, and that’s the rear leaf spring mount to baseline dimension. There is a difference of over 2.5 inch between the 71 and 72/73 diagrams, and it’s also making it tough for me to know what dimensions are correct and which aren’t. the rear dimension you have is, in my opinion wrong. It’s from the 1971, but no, way can there be such a big difference between 71 and 72/73.. this could be the reason why the back end is way lower and the front is now pointing upwards. Try using the 1972-1973 dimensions and see if the holes all line up. I also wish I could obtain the correct underbody dimensions as I have both inner rocker panels out on my convertible and trying to set her up just right before i weld them in. Regards,
  2. Greetings from France!

    I’m in the process of setting up my 71 Convertible on a jig and I’m using the 71 underbody dimensions diagram, however, the rear height dimension from base line to center rear leaf spring of 11.74 inches doesn’t match up. It does match the 72-73 dimension at the rear of 15.03 inches. 
    Is this just a typo in the 71 manual that was later rectified?

    Has anyone  else had a similar issue while trying to measure rear dimensions ? If so, can I use the later dimensions?

    Also, if the car is setup exactly as specified in the diagram, will my rocker panels be 100% parallel to the base line using a level gauge?

    thank you all, as usual  for your kind support, 

  3. Thanks. Braces are already in place and I have 10 jack stands used to support frame front, center and back.
  4. Hi, I need to replace my inner rocker panels. The corrosion is severe on the lower portion of the panel. The front section doesn’t seem to be too complicated and is almost out. However, could someone kindly explain how to remove it from the back section? it seems to be really sandwiched in there.. do i need to remove the rear torque box first? A simple step by step guide would be fantastic.. as i haven’t found anything online so far.. Thanks
  5. Many thanks for your recommendations. I just wanted to make sure that the same part was used for convertibles and coupé/fastbacks.
  6. Thanks. And yes, there is some rust on the cowI around the area where the heater box mounts to it but it’s not too bad. The cross member is solid though and so are the radius mounts so all in all I don’t think it’s too bad. The floors are corroded in some areas but the additional sections, both top and bottom where the seats mount are in excellent condition. Thanks for your advice!! Maybe I should have asked someone on is forum of a 71 convertible in good condition was for sale before I bought mine! I recall you mentioning that you owned several convertibles as they can be found real cheap.
  7. Ok, sounds good. The only rot is in those lower corners, although the steel seems very flimsy around that area.. I will make a few cuts and see If the rest is good. i could also use some advice on the floor pans. From the pictures attached, all four corners have a few holes in them and I ordered some replacement sections. Would you recommend I just cut out and patch the holes with new sections or replace the complete left and right side in one complete section? also, there is corrosion below both control arms . Would it best to remove those small sections and replace with a U section or stabilise the rust and then weld in a patch? I Don’t want to weaken the area unnecessarily . thank you !
  8. Hi, Could someone advise if the 1971-73 radiator core supports are all the same? I seem to find some sellers quoting that their parts are only for the FB and coupé, not the convertible. Others don’t mention anything specific. Can anyone recommend a good quality replacement Brand? Many thanks,
  9. Hello, So my 71 Convertible arrived a few weeks ago and I’ve began the teardown process for a full restoration. The underbody rust situation isn’t as bad as i thought, but does require s few patches made for some of the flooring. There is some rot below both upper control arms so In a a rectangular box section and i will need to cut out a section snd weld in a replacement patch there too. The frame rails, torque boxes and sills are solid with no corrosion or damage. The radiator core support has some lower corrosion And appears to have been badly replaced sometime in the cars life, , so I was thinking of replacing it. Could someone advise if the 1971-73 core supports are all the same? I seem to find some sellers quoting that their parts are only for the FB and coupé, not the convertible. Others don’t mention anything specific. Can anyone recommend a good quality replacement Brand? Many thanks,
  10. Ok well I’m taking the plunge and having it shipped over To Europe. I didn’t pay much for the car so it’s not a problem if it needs some floor pan replacement sections put in. Many thanks for your advice.
  11. Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. You included a link to the car i purchased off ebay.. i managed to obtain a few more pictured Attached. would the repair require a complete floor or just a partial replacement of the damaged section? thanks
  12. Hi and thanks for your reply. I actually put a down payment on the car as it was advertised on eBay. I was about to send the balance funds before putting on hold due to this photo. I don’t mind some surface corrosion but anything more will be an issue as I still need to get the car shipped over to Europe. Based on the previous response, those Holes seem to be accès panels as the are very regular. However I couldn’t locate any underbody photos of other cars to compare.. I didn’t pay a lot for the car and the owner seems genuine so I have to reason to doubt his words. I just wanted some expert advice on what the holes could be. thanks
  13. Hi, First of all, I’m new to this forum, so would like to say hello, and I look forward to reading and sharing advice and knowledge with you all. I’m looking at purchasing a 1971 Convertible 302 in original state. It has been a real challenge to obtain actual photos of the underbody because the owner isn’t very camera smart. However, there is one photo that shows wired black circles, one in the right corner and a second one further down. Would anyone happen to know what these circles could be? Is is corrosion or some sort of drain plug that’s gone a bit rusty around the edges? any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as i meed to make a decision quickly. Thanks Marwan from France
  • Create New...