• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Front Rubber Bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a note, you can fit a 71-72 with a chrome bumper if you wanted to...

71-72 cars all received the chrome front bumpers; Unless you had a mach 1 trim, sportscoupe trim, sprint car trim.

the boss 351 received a chrome front bumper. dealers could also install the rubber bumper independant of the factory.

no mustang but the 351 boss was suppose to receive the front chin spoiler, this was a DYI install or a dealer install and could be put on any 71-72 car.

71-72 the bumper support brackets and the bumper re-enforcement plate is the same for either the rubber or the chrome bumper so anyone could install one as a bolt on upgrade.

1973 Government regulation required 5mph bumpers on all cars.

all 1973 mustangs recieved a larger rubber body color keyed front bumper, the grill was change to allow the turn signals to be relocated from under the bumper in 71-72 to the grill, prior to 73 these lights were called grill running lights, in 73 they became running lights and turn signals. the engine bay wiring harness was modified, and the 73 grill light sockets were modified from 2 conductor to 3 conductor for this purpose. the sockets are VERY RARE for 71-72 the 73s can be used but they need to be modified and they will not sit 100% correctly in the older grill light houses.

the 73 front fenders are also slightly different with the bumper cutouts raised up from 72 to allow room for the larger 73 bumper system.

its possible with a lot of cutting to install 71-72 rubber or chrome bumpers on a 73, but to do it 100% right you need to swap out the 73 front fenders for 71-72 ones. the lower valance will also need to be modified.

the 73 grill can interchange to the 72 or 71 without any modification, the 71-72 grill will fit on the 73 but there will be a gap between the grill and the 73 bumper. since the sockets are basically interchangeable on the sport grill and 73 grill you can have the look of horizontal turn signals if you wish, but installing the lower 71-72 turn signals would be a pain and you would have to splice into your engine harness if you wanted them to light up

now 71-72 mustangs had the worst sales of any mustangs, 72 being the worst making 72 rarest. couple that with low production numbers for the mach 1, sportcoupe, sprint car trim levels and the rubber front bumper is actually kind of rare , currently its not reproduced.

there were also a few different chrome bumpers offered in 71-72 for front and rear.

there was optional cross bars for front and rear, and these bars had the option of rubber or no rubber.

there was also a option to have rubber guard bumpers attached to the chrome bumpers without the cross bars.

the cross bar parts are the rarest of the rare and not produced at all, you have to modify the aftermarket chrome bumpers to be able to install them.

currently the 71-72 bumper support brackets are available as reproduction however the bumper re-enforcement plate is not reproduced. i contacted scott drake about that 5 years ago and currently there is zero interest in having that HEAVY expensive and easily damaged part remade.

well you can fill pages and pages of information just on the bumper of these cars. the rear bumpers structures and the quarter panel caps in 73 were changed as well due to the 5mph requirements.

need a front rubber bumper in good condition for 71-72 stang,Thanks Whisnane
Motor City's offer is a fair one in my opinion. Restoration of this piece is not for the faint of heart, I just did one. If you want to know what it takes let me know and I'll describe the somewhat lengthy and unforgiving process.

Chuck

Since there were 9383 sprints made in 72 and they all had the rubber bumper you would think they might be plentiful. But ask yourself when was the last time you saw a 72 sprint Mustang in any body style?:(

http://www.1972mustangsprint.com
Two years ago. Fastback Q code 4 speed. They had driven it to the mall to go shopping evidently. I left a note asking if it was for sale. I never got a call.

Chuck

i thought that the 71-72 had a metal bumper :)shrug)

we need a shrug smiley :idea:
Not sure on the 72's but the 71's had an optional cover not like the 73 impact bumber.
Not to hijack but Roy, do you have any more information on the car you posted the photo of?

i thought that the 71-72 had a metal bumper :)shrug)

we need a shrug smiley :idea:
Not sure on the 72's but the 71's had an optional cover not like the 73 impact bumber.
Not to hijack but Roy, do you have any more information on the car you posted the photo of?
NO, If I remember correctly it was for sale on the internet at one time or another and I save several pics of it

The Sprints are still around. I just sold a 72 Sprint Coupe in 2010 and another Coupe and Fastback in 2009. I have one of the 50 Convertible waiting to be restored, so they are out there! Here is a picture of the coupe I sold. Mike

Since there were 9383 sprints made in 72 and they all had the rubber bumper you would think they might be plentiful. But ask yourself when was the last time you saw a 72 sprint Mustang in any body style?:(

http://www.1972mustangsprint.com

View attachment 1209

View attachment 1210

Motor City's offer is a fair one in my opinion. Restoration of this piece is not for the faint of heart, I just did one. If you want to know what it takes let me know and I'll describe the somewhat lengthy and unforgiving process.

Chuck
Hi Chuck, How bout doing a right up on the restoration process. I didn't find any online, so it would be cool to see how you can eliminate the swirl marks.

Thanks,

DJ

Back