Started car for 1st time today

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang sportsroof - 351c 2v - fmx trans.
Hello everyone, I have been restoring a 73 sportsroof for about 20 months now that we bought as a rolling chassis that pretty much needed everything:s. We found a 52 thousand mile 70 model 351C 2V with an autolite 2 barrel carb, put some headman longtube headers on it, accel coil and wires, cleaned it up real good, repainted it and dropped it in. Put an FMX trans with about 1k miles on a rebuild out of a 70 Mach 1 in it along with the driveshaft, new ford racing yoke, U joints etc.

I was a little nervous when it was time to start it but it roared to life the very second I turned the key. All in all a very good day:D

Next up radiator, new power steering pump, fuel tank and a few other odd and ends. The next door neighbor came by to check it out was and was liking the car big time. A little more time and money and it will be ready for the street.

Oh yeah, the transmission shifted into forward and reverse with no problems or apparent leaks. This site has helped be a bunch with this project, thanks folks.

That's awesome! There's not much like the simultaneous trepidation and rush of adrenaline when lighting the fire on a new motor. I got to do that over the Thanksgiving weekend for my 91GT.

Congrats!

Thanks, I always crank on the engine off and on for few minutes with the coil wire unplugged to help build up a little oil pressure before lighting them off. I don't if it is good or bad but it makes me feel better :-}

Thanks, I always crank on the engine off and on for few minutes with the coil wire unplugged to help build up a little oil pressure before lighting them off. I don't if it is good or bad but it makes me feel better :-}
I've always used a spare shaft I made and drill during the build. There again like you, just makes me feel better!

Latest posts

Back