K & N Filters

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mchandford

Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 "M" Code. 351C and 4 speed toploader.
ok, new guy here, still trying to get to know everyone. Bear with me if this has been discussed already, I did a search but couldn't find it here, or anywhere for that matter. Ok, to the question:

I understand K & N Filters are popular. However, I was ready to purchase one for the new 'stang at a local parts store, and the guy said he was a long time mustang fan and had built and driven them all his life. He told me not to get a K & N if i cared at all about keeping my engine for any length of time. I am in the inland northwest now and soon to be in the Seattle area. Not going to be a whole lot of dirt roads in Sheila's (that would be my Mach 1's name) future. He said that because these filters allow much more air through they also let much more dirt/dust through. If this is the case it makes sense to stay with a paper filter. I think I am having some issue with my cleveland 'starving' for air. When I got it it already had a 4 inch filter but it didn't fit quite right. I would love to give K&N a chance, but worried about what he was saying. Please give me your thoughts but be gentle.

Tomorrow I will take a pic of the engine bay

IMG_0457.JPG

This is the first time I've heard that, from what I've always understood, they clean the air better. I've always ran them on my car. I don't see how a paper filter could clean air better than a fabric/oil based filter.

I've ran my car hard for 8 years now with K&N filters, no problems here.

First of all, nice car. Second, I've run K&N filters for years. On my Chevy Avalanche, my Hummer H2 my '96 Cobra Mystic and my '95 GT with a Vortech supercharged 393w stroker. Everything I've been told is that K&N filters not only allow more air but they also filter out smaller particles than the paper elements. I'm actually considering using a Vortech "hat"( that allows the use of dual conical filters) on my '73 Mach-1.

I've used K&N in every vehicle since 81 at the first filter change. It's my experience that just because you work at a parts store you may not be Gods gift to engines. JMHO

I have run K&N on many vehicles, including my motorcycles, I call BS on the the "letting more dirt through". Now I haven't lived off of a non-paved road in years, but with the design of the filter, I would think it is better in dusty conditions, you would just have to clean and re-oil more often.

The proof is in the carburator. Yes they allow more air but no way does dirt get through the oil and element. Maybe he is unaware of the cleaning kit.

I've run a K&N with my 351C ram air setup since 1997 (25K+)with no issues whatsoever. As noted above, it sounds like an un-informed opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand K & N Filters are popular. However, I was ready to purchase one for the new 'stang at a local parts store, and the guy said he was a long time mustang fan and had built and driven them all his life. He told me not to get a K & N if i cared at all about keeping my engine for any length of time...

...I would love to give K&N a chance, but worried about what he was saying. Please give me your thoughts but be gentle.
Possibly.

I'll be able to evaluate the parts counter dude's statment after my K&N million mile warranty expires.

Until then, I call Bullshizz.

(That's as gentile as I could be ;) )

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/how-well-do-k-n-air-filters-work/

I did find a blog that seems to support the idea that more dirt gets into the engine. But it sounds pretty unanimous that it doesn't affect performance or engine life.

Now what was this I read about a vortec filter?
Blogs like this are questionable when they don't provide a link to the data (not a copy they may have helped with).

My personal experience, new Navigator, put in a K&N within the first few miles, drove it 100,000 miles in northern Nevada (fair amount of dust), used 1/2 pint of oil every 7,500 miles when I traded it in. Bought a new F150, first thing was a K&N filter. No problems with sensors or anything else. And, yes I maintain my own vehicles and do a very good job of it.

Thanks guys, I didn't think there was a whole lot to the claim, but I think I am going to go out and get me a new filter. Someone mentioned a dual conical filter with a "hat" can someone send me a link or give me some more info. I have seen that at shows before but didn't think to write down any info.

IMG_0653 (800x598).jpg

First, here is K&N's test bed:

http://www.knfilters.com/testmethod.htm

Second, would I be the only one to wonder why they don't just put an air flow meter into the manifold of a car, or for that matter on the snorkel of an air cleaner and measure the air going through there? As far as I know, Mass Air Flow Meters are standard on every new car. How hard could it be?

Third, has ANYONE ever had an engine fail due to a faulty/crappy air filter? How many of you guys have rebuilt an engine and said, "Wow...this engine must have used really crappy air filters" or even "really crappy oil filters." Please take pictures.

Fourth, how many of you guys believe a smaller air filter is better than a larger air filter...all other things being equal? Well, if you believe you are better off with a small filter, you would be wrong.

Fifth, here is a guy that knows the basics regarding filters:

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

Basically, buy the filters by the square footage of filter material...or the number of pleats. Personally, I find FRAM has the fewest pleats.

I am not saying K&N is not the best air filter. I just don't the good it may be doing is NECESSARY. (For the record, I used to be a filter expert)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay.

Everyone WEIGH their air filter prior to installation. Then reweigh it every 1000 miles. I am curious how much extra it weighs.

I don't know what I can use to accurately weigh it. But I am up for the challenge.

Okay.

Everyone WEIGH their air filter prior to installation. Then reweigh it every 1000 miles. I am curious how much extra it weighs.

I don't know what I can use to accurately weigh it. But I am up for the challenge.
Better yet. REMOVE your filter and weigh the carburator yearly. You'll have plenty of time during the rebuild.

I see K&N offers (2) air filters for the 351. One for $52 and one for $60. Any idea what the difference is?

Back