1973 Mustang 8 Track Player Users Manual

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow C6 auto
1973 Q code Mach 1 blue glow, 4 speed
1973 H code Convertible ivy glow, FMX
I found this stuffed in the console of my 73 Mach 1. I have not seen one of these before - it seems to be specific to 1973 as it has a 1973 Ford Part number on the back page. This booklet also has info for the AM/FM Stereo Radio as well. I can scan those pages if anyone wants to see them.

28kh4ie.jpg

98hj4l.jpg

kc1g68.jpg

35mkz9x.jpg

2e4yk4w.jpg

I found this stuffed in the console of my 73 Mach 1. I have not seen one of these before - it seems to be specific to 1973 as it has a 1973 Ford Part number on the back page. This booklet also has info for the AM/FM Stereo Radio as well. I can scan those pages if anyone wants to see them.

28kh4ie.jpg

98hj4l.jpg

kc1g68.jpg

35mkz9x.jpg

2e4yk4w.jpg
Hi Steve,

Lovely to see the old literature still around on the 8 tracks.I remember when they were king. I can't remember how many songs you could play on an 8 track, but today with Ipods and Usb sticks thousands are the go. Hasn't technology come a long way since the seventies.

PS. Don't forget about record players mounted on dashboards back in the

sixties and seventies as well!

Greg:)

Hi Greg,

I recently replaced the drive belt in my 8 track player in my Mach 1 but I don't have a tape to check it out! I remember my Dad installing an 8 Track stereo in our old Corvair back in the early seventies. After having only AM radio for years, that stereo sounded pretty good. If I remember right, the songs on the 8 tracks were grouped into 4 "Programs" - we called them channels. There were 3 or 4 songs per program so the tape had the same amount of songs as the LP albums. And it was an endless loop - no rewinding or flipping the tape over. Maybe I will scan ebay for some 8 tracks. That would be cool if my 8 track player still worked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,

From what i remember, your descriptions ring true. Would you believe, that 8 track format, never really had a chance to catch on here in Australia around the late sixties, because audio cassettes came in around about the same time, and that format took off big, big, big.

If you Google... 8 track cartridges to buy, you will find numerous web sites still selling used 8 track cartridges. Prices vary, and don't forget, you will probably be a victIm of the old analog technology, in that the sound quality of many of the old tapes will have gone because of a condition called dropout. As the years go on the tapes slowly loose the sound quality, and cannot be fixed. So be aware of that if you want to get some old tapes and enjoy the music, you will encounter that problem.

Hope it all works out for you,

Greg:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back