dyno sheet, 408C pump gas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
Someone may be interested in the results of a mid-range budget build. Runs on pump 91 octane (R+M/2). Standard correction used. Sorry about the sideways but...........Chuck

408C dyno sheet.pdf

Attachments

• 408C dyno sheet.pdf
    811.8 KB · Views: 267
Sweet!

Nice flat torque "curve", holy cow. That should be one fine street piece.

It does have a lot of torque for what it is. At or above 450 TQ from 3200 to 6000. I wish I could get better pump gas here (only 91 readily available) so I could raise the CR a bit. Admittedly, the cam is a bit too aggressive for most people's taste but it suits me. Chuck

It does have a lot of torque for what it is. At or above 450 TQ from 3200 to 6000. I wish I could get better pump gas here (only 91 readily available) so I could raise the CR a bit. Admittedly, the cam is a bit too aggressive for most people's taste but it suits me. Chuck
First...giddy up.

Then, this is where guys like me look at your 408 CID, look at the 6500 RPM line, and see 666 CFM. At 100% intake efficiency you would be pulling in 767 CFM.

I know my 351 is never going to see over 5500 RPM unless my floor mat gets stuck on the gas pedal as I drive into the garage...again.

I would also imagine my car is definitely not going to be as efficient pulling in air either. Obviously, I am never going to need the CFM's you do.

How can I justify anything bigger than a 650 CFM carb? What feature/component of a carburetor should we look at besides the CFM?

And, I have attached a rotated sheet for those who are not rotationally inclined with PDF files(piece of crap Microsoft/Adobe aka MegaHardCrap/Straw) as it is very impressive and informative.

(Perhaps it shows why header manufacturers don't want their newly coated products put onto a freshly built engine, as one reviews the exhaust temperature numbers)

408C_DynoSheet.pdf

Attachments

• 408C_DynoSheet.pdf
    811.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice..What a beast:) with only 91 octang that is incredible...What heads? 4v irons? or some kinda aftermarkets?

Very nice..What a beast:) with only 91 octang that is incredible...What heads? 4v irons? or some kinda aftermarkets?
Iron 4V CC heads, mild porting by me with the use of a friend's flow bench. Chuck

Chuck, how does your build specs compare to mine? My specs are listed in my garage just click on "my money pit" . Mine has never been on a dyno.
Roy, The bore and stroke are the same although my crank is cast and rods are I beam, your CR is higher, 9.5 vs 10.8, you have a single plane intake vs my dual plane, your 850 carb vs my 750, my cam is flat tappet with a hair more duration and .100 less intake lift and .058 less exhaust lift, my LSA is 110 vs 108 (apples to oranges comparison, roller vs FT), my heads are Ford iron 4v CC, Ferrea valves, home ported (sort of) vs AFD SP4V aluminum, Ignition in mine is Dura-spark distributor (small cap) with MSD 6AL amplifier. But other than that pretty much the same:p. Yours should be making more power than mine. How much I don't know.

link to octane rating differences:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Chuck, can I get more stats on you cam such as advertised duration whether it's hydrolic or not, the LSA, Exhaust overlap? I'm super interested in cam dynamics and this would help me determine things down the road.

Chuck, can I get more stats on you cam such as advertised duration whether it's hydrolic or not, the LSA, Exhaust overlap? I'm super interested in cam dynamics and this would help me determine things down the road.
Solid flat tappet, 272/282 ADV. duration (compare to @ .050 duration you'll see the ramps are modestly aggressive), 110 LSA installed on 106. Chuck

Nice build Chuck!!! Gives me hope of 500+hp for my 408 stroker build. I don't think I will be able to get there with my 2v heads. But not sure. They are ported pretty well and I will be running a roller cam and lifters. May have to buy some 4v heads and start over. Great build and good luck with the motor.

Nice build Chuck!!! Gives me hope of 500+hp for my 408 stroker build. I don't think I will be able to get there with my 2v heads. But not sure. They are ported pretty well and I will be running a roller cam and lifters. May have to buy some 4v heads and start over. Great build and good luck with the motor.
I think with 2v heads it would be a stump puller but to make power the 4v would almost be necessary unless you go to CHI aluminum.

Back