front frame replacment

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73nancy

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 mustang
1968 ford f100
1971 honda cb750
hey guys Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

So my 73 mach has a pretty bad front frame looks like someone put it in a ditch and filled the channel under the a-arms rotting it out. So i debated buy new rails and new engine bay metal because mine are rotted under the fender lips. OR buy a parts car. Well i found a parts car for $1200 a 73 fastback with a perfect frame and engine bay. came with a 302 reman with 5k on it and a c4. all the parts are there with the car as well. So i figured i can use other stuff if i need it.

MY question i guess is how hard is swapping out the front end. I was thinking cutting the parts car at the firewall since i will not need it. remove it in a big chunk get it on the floor and remove spot welds at the torque boxes and the engine aprons at the firewall. But my car i have to be surgical with the process. Anyone done this and have pics or a write up i can review. will be starting this in the spring just need to get everything ready. any big issues with fitment between cars lining the complete front clip up? thanks ryan

hey guys Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

So my 73 mach has a pretty bad front frame looks like someone put it in a ditch and filled the channel under the a-arms rotting it out. So i debated buy new rails and new engine bay metal because mine are rotted under the fender lips. OR buy a parts car. Well i found a parts car for $1200 a 73 fastback with a perfect frame and engine bay. came with a 302 reman with 5k on it and a c4. all the parts are there with the car as well. So i figured i can use other stuff if i need it.

MY question i guess is how hard is swapping out the front end. I was thinking cutting the parts car at the firewall since i will not need it. remove it in a big chunk get it on the floor and remove spot welds at the torque boxes and the engine aprons at the firewall. But my car i have to be surgical with the process. Anyone done this and have pics or a write up i can review. will be starting this in the spring just need to get everything ready. any big issues with fitment between cars lining the complete front clip up? thanks ryan
Basically did that but removed each part at the factory welds instead of "clipping it...The most important thing is to set up a measuring system.. jig

See my videos here

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut/videos?view=0

And My pictures Here

http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FUZZENUT/MUSTANG-%20BACK%20FROM%20THE%20GRAVE/?albumview=slideshow

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott knows his stuff - his advice helped me get through 'clipping' my '71 with a 'new' clip from a '72. Make sure you have all the tools and measurements beforehand though because once you remove the nasty stuff, you're committed. Set up datum lines, make the measuring jigs Scott suggests, and securely jig the car into place - then don't move it (all the while checking and re-checking your measurements) until the new clip is back on the car for good. If the car gets moved for any reason any little bit, remeasure everything and check it again before proceeding.

Before

249352_222827737728152_1068462_n.jpg

'New' clip 'blasted and ready for repair

228038_221283847882541_2981260_n.jpg

Repaired and painted with Rust Bullet Black Shell

225678_221544051189854_5596631_n.jpg

When you remove the front clip, cut through the aprons and frame rails to make removing them from the car easier (in smaller pieces)

227010_222827747728151_3939666_n.jpg

Clean up and paint the firewall before installing the new clip (it's WAY easier, trust me)

255039_226071974070395_3508236_n.jpg

Line everything up - measure about a billion times and make small adjustments - it's gotta be right before welding anything

260028_228328680511391_6655547_n.jpg

Back on its wheels with all new suspension and everything's within tolerance, according to the measurements Scott provided.

267875_245794668764792_1318044_n.jpg

It CAN be done - just be patient... it took me a a couple months of weekends between all the prep and actually sliding the new clip in there. Then, another couple weekends getting it all back together.

Good luck - post pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
you Guys are GREAT!!!! I need to pull the rear end back out to get the belly prepped and painted. thinking of making a big wood cart like Scott did to hold the body still with straps. Should i cross brace the inside i have one floor pan i need to replace as well.

Cutting it at the aprons is a great idea never even thought about that on my car. I have the full body shop manual with the demensions as well as bookmarked Scott's write ups. I'm going to take my time with it for sure measure the parts car before i cut it, then measure mine. What tools do you suggest besides the the common ones needed. Spot weld drills exc.. MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone so glad this forum came to life so much help. I will try to get some pics up of my car shes a roller at this point. A little back history it was my very first car that i bought when i was 15. I have never driven it at all. I'm now 23 this car got me into this industry and now work full time at a restoration shop also went to school for it. thanks so much for the help Ryan. If anyone needs some parts off my 73 parts car let me know i wont be using most of it.

Back