Odor in my garage...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lifizgud

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertable
I recently noticed that my 73 is emitting an exhaust-like smell long after the engine is shut down. I tried airing out the garage with a fan, but it's just as bad the next day after I close the garage for the night. No noticeable leaks under the car. Anyone have issues like this with your engine or exhaust systems? :huh:

Imusa76: In your brothers case, it must be the Bug's smell of fear of the Mustang. LOL.

My Jeep kinda does the same thing. I think it's just inherent of the old cars. I would minimize the time the car spends in the garage while it's running (like I do with my Jeep). I usually just get it started and back out as quickly as possible while the Jeep warms up. Then sometimes, I'll actually shut off the Jeep and just coast in (no power brakes and standard transmission with a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling to touch the windshield when it's in all the way- no biggee). There have been times when the Jeep won't start, that I'll just put it in reverse and use the starter to 'back it out' so I won't load up the garage with exhaust fumes while trying to wake up the Jeep (again, standard transmission... no worries).

I think this may be something else...the smell will be strong the next day after I've let it air out for hours and with a fan blowing across it...

I think this may be something else...the smell will be strong the next day after I've let it air out for hours and with a fan blowing across it...
Might try leaving the car out of the garage for a few days and make sure it's not something else (just in case).

I recently noticed that my 73 is emitting an exhaust-like smell long after the engine is shut down. I tried airing out the garage with a fan, but it's just as bad the next day after I close the garage for the night. No noticeable leaks under the car. Anyone have issues like this with your engine or exhaust systems? :huh:
Had a similar issue with an 1988 Toyota truck, turns out the exhaust was restricted (almost completely) replaced the dented exhaust pipe and the smell went away. Apparently the back up of exhaust/pressure into the engine was causing the smell???

Had a similar issue with an 1988 Toyota truck, turns out the exhaust was restricted (almost completely) replaced the dented exhaust pipe and the smell went away. Apparently the back up of exhaust/pressure into the engine was causing the smell???
Did your truck run OK? The Mustang runs fine with no rough running or anything...

:idea:

look into all directions, possibly a combination of smaller problems, from carburetion......I recently noticed that my 73 is emitting an exhaust-like smell long after the engine is shut down. I tried airing out the garage with a fan, but it's just as bad the next day after I close the garage for the night. No noticeable leaks under the car. Anyone have issues like this with your engine or exhaust systems? :huh:
I had odor however found leaks minute but still from transmission, gas tank, and oil pan(leak). It had been with my car since I purchased it, oil pan leak might have been from pushing the car on a 1/4 mile run 57mph in 1st gear @ 7,200 rpm's. Engine is set up with hot peened solid lifters @ 9.5 compression although oilers were opened up in rebuild, ports bored out but the MSD rev limiter should have shut the engine down @ 6,500 rpm's. (for problem out of engine), pin hole in gas tank is enough to create fumes however not really noticeable by the layman. Looking at the drippings was more apparent from the transmission, harder to determine by looking at the puddle on the floor if it is only run as mine a total of 2,200 miles within period of 2003, then engine rebuild and w/in 500 miles the break in oil was changed(in 2010). It's all a combination of things to look at. Although might cost a pretty penny w/assessments from different mechanics that can look into it and pin point problems a lot quicker, even if you had your own lift.

Did your truck run OK? The Mustang runs fine with no rough running or anything...
It seemed to run fine to me, only a slight difference after replacing the restricted pipe, but of course it was only a 2.2 liter Toyota truck engine so it didn't need a lot of exhaust flow.

Thanks! I'll start there and let you know. Any other ideas welcomed as well!

what I recomended to my brother, install a bathroom exhaust fan with a timer dial, after he puts the car in to turn the dial, he hasnt done it yet.

but I think it would help

what I recomended to my brother, install a bathroom exhaust fan with a timer dial, after he puts the car in to turn the dial, he hasnt done it yet.

Ya know, a 'fart fan' for a V-Dub's garage sounds completely appropriate for some reason. rofl

Any chance the vent hose (from the top of the tank to the charcoal canister) is pinched between the gas tank and the forward tank strap support?

-Kurt

Any chance the vent hose (from the top of the tank to the charcoal canister) is pinched between the gas tank and the forward tank strap support?

-Kurt
I'll check that too!

A garage fan is a good idea, the smell should clear in a couple hours though.

There may be other issues:

Is your PCV system working and the breather not clogged?

Also check the carb for gas leaking before and after shutdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar issue when I first bought my 73 Mach 1. Mine was more of a gas smell and it was a leaky carb and a very small leak. Only found it when we were removing the carb to rebuild it.

Ya know, a 'fart fan' for a V-Dub's garage sounds completely appropriate for some reason. rofl
:goodone: I'll make sure to have my Brother read these post on the issue and about the Bug!! rofl

Last edited by a moderator:
Back