Odor in my garage...

I recently noticed that my 73 is emitting an exhaust-like smell long after the engine is shut down. I tried airing out the garage with a fan, but it's just as bad the next day after I close the garage for the night. No noticeable leaks under the car. Anyone have issues like this with your engine or exhaust systems? :huh:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my brother has a 73' bug, and he is always complaning about that. he hates putting the car in the garage.

580595319_jenscam628.thumb.jpg.784c1f48a14c192acf6c86e15681639b.jpg

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

Imusa76: In your brothers case, it must be the Bug's smell of fear of the Mustang. LOL.

My Jeep kinda does the same thing. I think it's just inherent of the old cars. I would minimize the time the car spends in the garage while it's running (like I do with my Jeep). I usually just get it started and back out as quickly as possible while the Jeep warms up. Then sometimes, I'll actually shut off the Jeep and just coast in (no power brakes and standard transmission with a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling to touch the windshield when it's in all the way- no biggee). There have been times when the Jeep won't start, that I'll just put it in reverse and use the starter to 'back it out' so I won't load up the garage with exhaust fumes while trying to wake up the Jeep (again, standard transmission... no worries).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I think this may be something else...the smell will be strong the next day after I've let it air out for hours and with a fan blowing across it...

Might try leaving the car out of the garage for a few days and make sure it's not something else (just in case).

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I recently noticed that my 73 is emitting an exhaust-like smell long after the engine is shut down. I tried airing out the garage with a fan, but it's just as bad the next day after I close the garage for the night. No noticeable leaks under the car. Anyone have issues like this with your engine or exhaust systems? :huh:

Had a similar issue with an 1988 Toyota truck, turns out the exhaust was restricted (almost completely) replaced the dented exhaust pipe and the smell went away. Apparently the back up of exhaust/pressure into the engine was causing the smell???

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear

Had a similar issue with an 1988 Toyota truck, turns out the exhaust was restricted (almost completely) replaced the dented exhaust pipe and the smell went away. Apparently the back up of exhaust/pressure into the engine was causing the smell???

Did your truck run OK? The Mustang runs fine with no rough running or anything...

:idea:

look into all directions, possibly a combination of smaller problems, from carburetion......

I had odor however found leaks minute but still from transmission, gas tank, and oil pan(leak). It had been with my car since I purchased it, oil pan leak might have been from pushing the car on a 1/4 mile run 57mph in 1st gear @ 7,200 rpm's. Engine is set up with hot peened solid lifters @ 9.5 compression although oilers were opened up in rebuild, ports bored out but the MSD rev limiter should have shut the engine down @ 6,500 rpm's. (for problem out of engine), pin hole in gas tank is enough to create fumes however not really noticeable by the layman. Looking at the drippings was more apparent from the transmission, harder to determine by looking at the puddle on the floor if it is only run as mine a total of 2,200 miles within period of 2003, then engine rebuild and w/in 500 miles the break in oil was changed(in 2010). It's all a combination of things to look at. Although might cost a pretty penny w/assessments from different mechanics that can look into it and pin point problems a lot quicker, even if you had your own lift.

1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png

Did your truck run OK? The Mustang runs fine with no rough running or anything...

It seemed to run fine to me, only a slight difference after replacing the restricted pipe, but of course it was only a 2.2 liter Toyota truck engine so it didn't need a lot of exhaust flow.

Jim

M code 71 Mach 1, 351 4V Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Trans, 3.5 rear

Do you have a peak fan in your garage by chance. If not and you have a vent. Tie a box fan in the eaves.

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

what I recomended to my brother, install a bathroom exhaust fan with a timer dial, after he puts the car in to turn the dial, he hasnt done it yet.

but I think it would help

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

what I recomended to my brother, install a bathroom exhaust fan with a timer dial, after he puts the car in to turn the dial, he hasnt done it yet.

Ya know, a 'fart fan' for a V-Dub's garage sounds completely appropriate for some reason. rofl

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Any chance the vent hose (from the top of the tank to the charcoal canister) is pinched between the gas tank and the forward tank strap support?

-Kurt

satellite-valiant-mustang-license-tags-signature.png

How to buy a '71-73 Mustang:

Rule #1: Assume all classic car sellers are guilty until proven innocent.

Rule #2: No classic car dealer is ever innocent; thus, they are all guilty.

Rule #3: Buy from trustworthy people: Fellow forum members. Visit 7173Mustang's For Sale forum.

A garage fan is a good idea, the smell should clear in a couple hours though.

There may be other issues:

Is your PCV system working and the breather not clogged?

Also check the carb for gas leaking before and after shutdown.

1971 Mach1

351C-4v

C6 is history-->>now TKO-500

I had a similar issue when I first bought my 73 Mach 1. Mine was more of a gas smell and it was a leaky carb and a very small leak. Only found it when we were removing the carb to rebuild it.

It is inexcusable for scientists to torture animals; let them make their experiments on journalists and politicians.

Henrik Ibsen

Ya know, a 'fart fan' for a V-Dub's garage sounds completely appropriate for some reason. rofl

:goodone: I'll make sure to have my Brother read these post on the issue and about the Bug!! rofl

Iyman

I think it may be "normal"... we have just become used to the cleaner burning modern cars we drive daily.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

• 2 weeks later...

Checked out all those things and guess what! There was a small leak at the bottom of the carb that was the culprit! Went ahead and replaced the fuel pump and had the carb rebuilt and presto! No more smell! I'll have some more pics of the interior to post soon! Thanks for all the suggestions!

:idea:

look into all directions, possibly a combination of smaller problems, from carburetion......

I had odor however found leaks minute but still from transmission, gas tank, and oil pan(leak). It had been with my car since I purchased it, oil pan leak might have been from pushing the car on a 1/4 mile run 57mph in 1st gear @ 7,200 rpm's. Engine is set up with hot peened solid lifters @ 9.5 compression although oilers were opened up in rebuild, ports bored out but the MSD rev limiter should have shut the engine down @ 6,500 rpm's. (for problem out of engine), pin hole in gas tank is enough to create fumes however not really noticeable by the layman. Looking at the drippings was more apparent from the transmission, harder to determine by looking at the puddle on the floor if it is only run as mine a total of 2,200 miles within period of 2003, then engine rebuild and w/in 500 miles the break in oil was changed(in 2010). It's all a combination of things to look at. Although might cost a pretty penny w/assessments from different mechanics that can look into it and pin point problems a lot quicker, even if you had your own lift.

:huh:

I think it may be "normal"... we have just become used to the cleaner burning modern cars we drive daily.

This is what I was gonna say. My Mustang stinks up the house when I park it in the garage, especially after I drove it hard.

It´s like a mix of burnt grease, fumes, hot brake pads and hot metal parts.

I like to call it the smell of machinery or old mechanics.

It is a smell that resembles that of old steam locomotives, if you ever have the chance to get near one.

Anyway, even with the garage door to the house shut, the smell still lingers in the house for a few hours.

Our new cars don't do that. (Unless you leave the parking brake on, but they have a warning light and buzzer for that too nowadays.)

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Put in a garage exhaust fan and it won't stink up the house. The fan creates negative

pressure and pulls air from any air leak in the garage (including the big leak you have between the house and the garage).

Also if the smell is that bad, I would look into fixing your PCV system (or adding one).

If your breather is clogged, the PCV won't function.

1971 Mach1

351C-4v

C6 is history-->>now TKO-500

It's called carburation. :P

Very true. I can pull a classic into my shop on Saturday and come back on Monday and it still smells. When I come home after working on one my wife always wrinkles her nose and says "EEW! old car" and throws my shirt out on the porch.