Build Sheet Decoding

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72Q-code

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Mach 1, 351C 4 speed.

72 F Mach 1, 302 Automatic W/air.
I have been gradually getting back to my Q-code project. A thread on here reminded me I never have purchased a Marti or Eminger invoice report.

Now, that being said I was lucky enough to find build sheets for both of my cars in good shape. I know the major decoding stuff, but have never seen a chart on the minor stuff, like wheel options etc. I was always impressed that my Q-code came with 15" wheels factory. Did they all?

So,

Question #1 who can help decode these, or point me to a decoder for 72's?

Question #2 what information would a Marti or Eminger bring beyond this, other than the exact number of cars like mine there are out there?

Thanks

Jim

q-code2.jpg

f_code.jpg

The F-60 x 15 means your car came with magnum wheels

I wonder though. When I got it (in 1993) it had a set of Ford 15" steel wheels and the Ford 15" trim rings/dog dishes. The cool part of that is those were in a barn and I only found out they came with the car after I purchased it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder though. When I got it (in 1993) it had a set of Ford 15" steel wheels and the Ford 15" trim rings/dog dishes. The cool part of that is those were in a barn and I only found out they came with the car after I purchased it!
The F60-15 could have come on steel wheels as well.

The "G" in the wheel area section does coincide with the paint code for the 15X7 steel wheels, which is green. The Magnum would have had an "O" for orange paint code.

Also, much of the codes you see are either paint colors, like suspension parts and the driveshaft (or/or/or - three orange stripes) or partial casting numbers, such as the fan and radiator. The color codes were for quick ID by assembly line workers, much faster to grab a color coded part than to read a part #.

Hemikiller is right My car came with the dog dish 15 inchers and my build sheet has the same codes as his car does, my invoice also corroborates that. The N in the hood area stands for non functional hood mine is a ram air car and has a F there for functional. In the radio area I T stands for AM 8-Track, the wiring loom has the same code as mine it has tach and guage package, The S in decor group interior stands for sports interior or mach 1 and the console is a no brainer w/clock.

The preceding contributions are with regard to build sheet coding are correct. The boxes below the identified componenent either identify a paint code or a tag id. I strongly recommend the Eminger invoice to everyone. It is the closest thing to the window sticker that was on your car. I purchased miner in the 90's and have stored it away safely ever since. It will tell you excatly what was on the car out of the factory. I have attached a picture of my build sheet and Eminger invoice below. They are both great research tools. I have done some sleuthing on the build sheets over the past year and can try and help if you come across any unknowns. They may still be unknowns to me as well. No one has produced a publication to date regarding build sheet decoding.

1972 Eminger & Build Sheet.pdf

Attachments

• 1972 Eminger & Build Sheet.pdf
    444.6 KB · Views: 78
Hemikiller is right My car came with the dog dish 15 inchers and my build sheet has the same codes as his car does, my invoice also corroborates that. The N in the hood area stands for non functional hood mine is a ram air car and has a F there for functional. In the radio area I T stands for AM 8-Track, the wiring loom has the same code as mine it has tach and guage package, The S in decor group interior stands for sports interior or mach 1 and the console is a no brainer w/clock.
Thanks for the reply, and you are right on the radio, it has/had the 8 track. I still have it on a shelf. I also got one of the free Ford reports, I will post later tonight. Appreciate everyone's responses, it all helps.

~Jim

p.s., do you still run the 15" rings and caps?

I have done some sleuthing on the build sheets over the past year and can try and help if you come across any unknowns. They may still be unknowns to me as well. No one has produced a publication to date regarding build sheet decoding.
Thanks. Do you know what the 981B axle code means? The door tag says it's a 3:50 traction loc. My tach says otherwise....

I am surprised to find a build sheet decoding publication does not exist. Then again, I am also getting the idea that I am rather lucky to have found build sheets this clean in both my cars. I guess these are not commonly found in this condition.

Here is what Ford found on the Red 302: (A rare 302 Windsor car:p)

red.jpg

And this on the Yellow 351:

yelow.jpg

The preceding contributions are with regard to build sheet coding are correct. The boxes below the identified componenent either identify a paint code or a tag id. I strongly recommend the Eminger invoice to everyone. It is the closest thing to the window sticker that was on your car. I purchased miner in the 90's and have stored it away safely ever since. It will tell you excatly what was on the car out of the factory. I have attached a picture of my build sheet and Eminger invoice below. They are both great research tools. I have done some sleuthing on the build sheets over the past year and can try and help if you come across any unknowns. They may still be unknowns to me as well. No one has produced a publication to date regarding build sheet decoding.
Great post! I still get a kick out of seeing gas at the outrageously dealer marked up rate of 13 gallons for $5.30!

Doc

Thanks for the reply, and you are right on the radio, it has/had the 8 track. I still have it on a shelf. I also got one of the free Ford reports, I will post later tonight. Appreciate everyone's responses, it all helps.

~Jim

p.s., do you still run the 15" rings and caps?

Yes I have the 15" caps and rings now I had to buy a whole car just to get a complete set off e-bay, You can see a pic in the registry of my car and eminger inv.

Tom

I have done some sleuthing on the build sheets over the past year and can try and help if you come across any unknowns. They may still be unknowns to me as well. No one has produced a publication to date regarding build sheet decoding.
Thanks. Do you know what the 981B axle code means? The door tag says it's a 3:50 traction loc. My tach says otherwise....

I am surprised to find a build sheet decoding publication does not exist. Then again, I am also getting the idea that I am rather lucky to have found build sheets this clean in both my cars. I guess these are not commonly found in this condition.

"Yes I have the 15" caps and rings now I had to buy a whole car just to get a complete set off e-bay, You can see a pic in the registry of my car and eminger inv. "

Wow, that is dedication to the rings! My car came with Cragers, and about a week after I bought it the owner called and said he found more stuff. That more stuff was the original 15" wheels and rings and caps. I put them on and kind of grew to like them. They are really a rare item.

Believe it or not I have found five more (one and two at a time) of the 15" rings over the years at swap meets. In every case the seller did not recognize them as 15" rings and I got them for $5-$10 each in nice shape!

Here's my Q-code with the rings before I started the engine and suspension restoration:

qcode3.jpg

qcode2.jpg

Here is some information regarding your question on the 981B designation on your rear axle. This was located on the 429 site that has a link on this site as well. It is a great repository of information. While you may not have a 429, you still have a mustang and if it was a 71 or early 72 than the other restoration information is very helpfull.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/decoding.htm

Rear Axle Decoding

Axle ID Tag

Axle Tags/Codes

axletagwnotes.jpg

The "assembly code" (e.g., 982D) found on the paper tag on the axle is the same as is found on the metal axle tag (attached to a "pig" bolt) and on the build sheet. See picture above for details.

This number is not the same as but is related to the "service code" (see chart below) for the axle (e.g., WFD-D). This is because the "service" code only identifies the contents of the pig and axle shaft size. The "assembly code" also IDs the vehicle application and brake size.

429 Mustang/Cougar Axle Service Code Chart

Service Code

Ratio

Locking? Service Code

Ratio

Locking? Service Code

Ratio

Locking?

WDO-M2 3.25 Y WES-AK 3.50 N WFU-E1 4.11 Y

WES-AB2 3.25 N WFB-C2 3.25 Y WFD-F 3.50 Y

WES-AD 3.25 N WFD-D 3.91 Y WFD-FZ 3.50 Y

WES-AD2 3.25 N WFD-D2 3.91 Y WES-AE 3.50 N

WES-AE2 3.50 N WFD-F2 3.50 Y WES-AK 3.50 N

WES-AE3 3.50 N WFD-F3 3.50 Y WFB-C 3.25 Y

WES-AJ2 3.25 N WFD-M2 3.25 Y WFD-A 3.91 Y

WES-AJ3 3.25 N WFD-M3 3.25 Y WFD-M 3.25 Y

I have only seen 3 digits and a letter making up the "assembly code." However, I could be wrong or ignorant because of a limited sample size.

(Thanks to Dan Davis for this research and photo)

Hi...,Nice thread.I am totally agree with FastE.The 73 Q code were the only ones that had the 14in wheels.Not sure if the 15s were standard or an option on the 71-72 Q codes.The display you present for us is inspiring, and very professional.Thank you for sharing your project.

VEry nice dude. really appreciate on you work. this is the way to expose your ideas. my pleasure to have such a nice post.thanks man.

awesome development of sheet

Back