Goals for the car???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
Was reading another thread and asked what is the end game for the car. I thought this might be a good question to post to all the members.

What is your end game goal for your car? Show car, weekend driver, daily driver, investment, other?

I'll go first.

71 M-code 4speed. Currently a weekend and sometimes midweek daily driver. Restore it and weekend driver.

71 M-code C6. Currently the most rusty but restorable car I have. Restore it and who knows. I just can't bring myself to make it a parts car. My oldest daughter has expressed interest in this one so we may fix it up for her.

72 H-code grabber blue car. Currently being restored for my son. It is his first car and will be a daily driver.

72 Q-code. Next in line for restoration for my younger son. It is his first car and will be a daily driver.

73 H-code. My oldest's sons car. He wants to make it a fire breathing weekend cruiser.

Others are parts cars in various states of disassembly and one car in limbo that my nephew wants but for whatever reason is still here.

So what about you? What is the goal for your car?

Pure street burner. Have 1 race to win even if it means sacrificing 1 engine. but after that. Want to cruise to shows but have as much fun as I want when the mood hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want my car to still be drivable cross country with or without creature comforts yet run high 11's low 12's thats why I am going with a 408 stroker and a 6 speed manual ... now if it really does the time that I want I wont know for a while but one can dream lol

Mine will be a daily driver. If everything comes out as expected with the engine goodies (eventually topped with an Edelbrock E-Street EFI), the overdrive offered by the AOD, and the 3.00 rear gears, I'm thinking I could see over 22mpg, and still have enough power to do a burnout every now and then.

If all that comes about, it'll get 200% better gas mileage as my current daily driver - 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. I love my truck and will likely never get rid of it, but how much cooler would a '71 Mach 1 be for a daily driver?

Also plan on taking a few road trips after everything's settled in to see the family (and friends) in Salt Lake City, San Antonio, and back east between VA and SC - with some side-trips to visit forum friends along the way.

Fun car to drive around with the top down when the weather is nice. I like having it be a bit of a sleeper. Sure, I can't take a brand new Shelby or Corvette at a friendly (but safe) stop light run but I have surprised a few other folks...

A driver-show car powered by 408c RAM AIR with Boss 302/351 valve covers and AOD 3.50 or 3.73 9" t loc. Hooker comp ceramic coated headers 2 1/2 stainless exhaust with Dynomax super turbo mufflers. COLD a/c is a must. Fairly stock exterior painted back to original Bright red with Mach 1 hood stripe and no "C" stripe front and rear spoilers. Interior mostly stock with auto meter gauges and Grant steering wheel. Mustangs plus "Grab-A Trak" suspension 620 coils 5 leaf mid eye rears 1" front sway bar 5/8 rear bar KYB shocks SSBC rear dics and front rotters. 15/8 Magnums 500 with BFG T/As 245/60 front and 265/60 rear. Completion date who knows.:-/

Pics of the look I'm shooting for.:cool:

mix 7-2009 095.jpg

mix 7-2009 091.jpg

A driver-show car powered by 408c RAM AIR with Boss 302/351 valve covers and AOD 3.50 or 3.73 9" t loc. Hooker comp ceramic coated headers 2 1/2 stainless exhaust with Dynomax super turbo mufflers. COLD a/c is a must. Fairly stock exterior painted back to original Bright red with Mach 1 hood stripe and no "C" stripe front and rear spoilers. Interior mostly stock with auto meter gauges and Grant steering wheel. Mustangs plus "Grab-A Trak" suspension 620 coils 5 leaf mid eye rears 1" front sway bar 5/8 rear bar KYB shocks SSBC rear dics and front rotters. 15/8 Magnums 500 with BFG T/As 245/60 front and 265/60 rear. Completion date who knows.:-/

Pics of the look I'm shooting for.:cool:
That is exactly what my 71 M-code C6 car looks like & my favorite look of all. Red/red, blacked ram air hood, bright side trim above the lower black and no hockey stripe. That's how it came from the factory & is how I would have ordered it as well. It's hard to improve perfection. :cool:

This is turning into a really cool thread.

Don, I could not agree more. Besides everyone adds the "C" stripe. I think the car looks cleaner with out it. If I was to add the "C" stripe I would remove the lower moldings above the lower black. I believe If the car has the lower molding it did not come with the "C" stripe from the factory.

My car didn't come with the hood stripe but it will when it's painted. I'm also going to add the twist locks.

Mike

IMG023.JPG

I honestly haven't given too much thought to the ultimate end game for my car. I am going to freshen up the interior this month, I've already got most of the parts thanks to my bride. I still need to get the carpet and raamat. After that will come the rear suspension, then the tranny, then the engine. I'm sure I'll be thinking about a respray at some point. My son is 7 now so I've still got about 10 years to enjoy this car before I offer it to him... He is already asking how long I'm going to keep it. My goal is to drive, fix it up as I go and enjoy!

Mike, we have very similar cars. You are correct about the bright side trim. If the car has the bright trim itdidnt come from the factory with the side stripes. However the dealer could have added the stripes at the time of sale. In that manner the car would/could have had both bright trim & side stripes. Similarly if the car came from the factory with functional ram air it would have a two toneblackedout hood AND twist locks. Lots of people add the blacked out hood but forget the twist locks. Those two items go hand in hand from the factory. When was yours built? Mine was a very early Oct '70 car.

Don, I could not agree more. Besides everyone adds the "C" stripe. I think the car looks cleaner with out it. If I was to add the "C" stripe I would remove the lower moldings above the lower black. I believe If the car has the lower molding it did not come with the "C" stripe from the factory.

My car didn't come with the hood stripe but it will when it's painted. I'm also going to add the twist locks.

Mike
I added the twist locks and stripes to mine! Changes the look of the car.

Mine was built in March of 71. It's just a H code FMX a/c ps pdb black Mach 1 sports interior and center gauges clock speedo. Kinda boring but I'm glad it's a a/c car. I knew about the dealer install stripes but not the RAM AIR and twist locks. It's funny my 72 Mach 1 has 351 2V and RAM AIR but no twist locks.

I added the twist locks and stripes to mine! Changes the look of the car.
Yeah my red twin 4-speed car came with factory stripes & no bright lower trim. Both have factory ram air so blacked out hood & twist locks. But the stripe changes the look of the car dramatically. I like them both but I like the clean lines look slightly better.

Mine was built in March of 71. It's just a H code FMX a/c ps pdb black Mach 1 sports interior and center gauges clock speedo... It's funny my 72 Mach 1 has 351 2V and RAM AIR but no twist locks.
Just an H code? So what, these cars are great with any engine configuration. Yours sounds great with those options. Do you know if your 72 came from the factory without the twist locks? Any evidence on the front of the radiator support that shows where the brackets used to be attached? That's very odd for it to not have twist locks if a factory ram air car.

I want it to sound like pure rage when I open it up.

I want to bracket race it and take it on the road course a few times a year. I'd like to take it to EVOC at the WSP track and see if the Chargers could keep up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back