New 71 Fastback here from Memphis T.N

Jtrutland

Hey guys, what's up.

I just bought my first project car.

I'm a 21 year old military guy and I'm ready to get my hands dirty fixing my new dream car.

This thing is going to need some work.

As far as I can tell, it needs new everything. The night I bought it, I drove it home 100miles and as soon as I hit my driveway, a freeze plug popped out. Been having trouble with it ever since.

It's time for a rebuild and a restoration.

5krgg0.jpg

11lu3dl.jpg

Motivation:

[video=youtube]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome from North Carolina! We have several members in your area.

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

Welcome neighbor. I have spoken with the guy who had your car before you purchased it. I am out on the east side of Memphis. Let me know if you need any local help with things. With several of the mustang contacts I have around town I can get some information or possibly parts if needed. Our other local guy Cobra3073 is a wealth of knowledge and a super nice guy as well. Again, welcome to the forum. It is a great bunch of folks who keep it family friendly and have a wealth of knowledge and expereince.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Welcome from Phoenix!

What are your plans? Return to stock or make it 'your own'?

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Welcome to the club from northern Nevada. You are in the right place. Glad to have you here!

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

Thanks for the welcomes guy. My current plans with this car are to keep it in its' current look. I just want it to be cleaner.

I've got to weld a new trunk floor in and a passenger floor.

I want to strip the interior, build an alluminum dashboard, put a rollcage in her, and racing seats.

The car has air shocks in the rear and sits very staggered. I loved the look of the car. Pure testosterone.

Current plans are to take the 302 out, bore .30 over and rebuild. I'm also looking at putting a different transmission in her.

Looking for a manual.

Welcome from Ontario Canada....looks like your going to have some fun with that car!

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

::welcome:: 1st indoctrination I had when I acquired, you could say a sibling to yours was researching everything about your vehicle. Getting a couple illustration books on components of each year's mustang, either on disc or books, volume of that year, and all the catalogs of all the different mustang parts companies available, (should be free or with purchase of a part that you can not get through salvage) ie Ohio mustang, cj pony parts, Mt laurel mustang, Johns mustang, mustangs unlimited, of course all the mustang parts companies found on this website. You will find a lot of precious information from Hemmings magazines from their main one, to classic and muscle magazine as you will find a good source of companies that can either restore components from radio, conversions into quartz ie tachometer.....I cannot put my finger on the "Hemmings" cataloque that covers the most optimistic article about 71-73 mustangs. You will find out early in the game that as all the different model per each of the 71-73 years, "no one model fender will fit some other model in that year as my 72 mustang has different fenders than the Mach I,.....If you really want to see a project mustang from every aspect of body to paint job and electrical side of it will be enterred on my profile in the near future. Upon sanding down every inch of the body and chassis, I found as you will see a nightmare of @ 6 pages of body work alone you can center on quicker if you go straight to msc images. As somewhere sooner or later in a short period or further up the road, you may decide to take the step from original restoration to modification. In my case, I knew what I wanted right away and saved a lot of time bypassing stock and going straight to resto-mod.Although it @ 7 years and counting to finally enter into a car show under "Modified" Category @ our local but largest AACA sanctioned car show, got 2nd place. All of the facts on what it seems to me the restoration you are going to go through, see my profile, from performance, handling, rebuilding the body and the electrical story to come. ...... Happy New Years from cpy cat @ ground zero.

1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png

::welcome:: from central South Carolina.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome from Phoenix!

What are your plans? Return to stock or make it 'your own'?

::welcome::When you say it need a complete make over, per se, do you have the manuals, a good hook up with the closest salvage yard that still as a couple big body mustangs laying around, a good rapport and knowledge with e-bay, all those after market parts companies as Year one, Mustangs unlimited, Ohio Mustang, Mt Laurel Mustang,...CJ Pony, Virginia Mustang, Johns Mustang, Hemming Motor News support.....? I was not as lucky to have this website when I started restoring my 72 Q code convertible, back in 2003. Also AACA out of Hershey and MCA? (antique and mustang clubs can save you a lot of time and money)MCA as AACA natl HQ I believe is in Ft Walton Beach, FL.But, finally, it has been ressurected as a resto-mod (Antique) however throughout all this time w/a lot of car parks attended around here, "ground zero, per se" Only one big car show, AACA sanctioned here in Latrobe, PA 2012, came in second place in modified class. See my mustang between on 72 mustangs and msc images. Mike

1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png

As noted by bkdunha, I am also in Memphis (Raleigh area) and may be able to assist (or add encouragement) as you continue the journey with your Mustang.

Please feel free to "PM" me for contact information if you need to chat or discuss the plans for your Mustang.

WELCOME to the Site!

BT

Do the RIGHT thing.