Qtr window pancake motors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GravY

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Vert - 351c
I've done some research in the past on these motors. I have found that they were fairly rare and there are no aftermarket motors. I've come across a few places that sell referb motors with exchange of your old ones.. Problem is when I bought my 73, I assumed they were not functioning but in fact were missing.

Has anyone come across any places that sell the motors without needing a pair in return? or a place that sells broken motors that I could then use for exchange?

I called on every "junk" 69 -73 Cougar listed for sale in the area and found several that had power windows. I told the owners that if the car did not sell I would give them a couple hundred bucks and haul it off for them. Finally had one call me back and tell me to come get the car. For $200.00 I got a rusty 71 XR7 351C 2V C6 AC PS PB and most importantly PW's. It ran just enough to get it on and off my trailer. Lots of good Mustang part on a Cougar.

Here is a great link showing how to rebuild a pancake motor:

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/12898-Rear-Pancake-Power-Window-Motor-Rebuild-Service-PRE-PAY-CORE-CHARGE-1969-1973-Mercury-Cougar-1971-1973-Ford-Mustang.html

(Click on the description tab at the bottom center of the page and once this opens scroll down)

I had to do this for one of the motors I bought with the cougar - it was surprisingly easy and it now works great. I got replacement brushes from a local farm service that rebuilds starters and the like. ($14.00)

One of my original pancakes had rusted so bad that the bottom of the case had fallen apart. I followed the rebuild steps and it even still kind of worked dispite the condition. The other motor had been removed, taken apart, and most of it internals lost by a previous owner.

Half of the fun is the hunt.

Hope this helps!

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I called on every "junk" 69 -73 Cougar listed for sale in the area and found several that had power windows. I told the owners that if the car did not sell I would give them a couple hundred bucks and haul it off for them. Finally had one call me back and tell me to come get the car. For $200.00 I got a rusty 71 XR7 351C 2V C6 AC PS PB and most importantly PW's. It ran enough to get it on and off my trailer.

Here is the link showing how to rebuild a pancake motor:

http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/12898-Rear-Pancake-Power-Window-Motor-Rebuild-Service-PRE-PAY-CORE-CHARGE-1969-1973-Mercury-Cougar-1971-1973-Ford-Mustang.html

(Click on the description tab at the bottom center of the page and once this opens and scroll down)

I had to do this for one of the motors I bought with the cougar - it was surprisingly easy and it now works great. I got replacement brushes from a local farm service that rebuilds starters and the like. ($14.00)

One of my original pancakes had rusted so bad that the bottom of the case had fallen apart. I followed the rebuild steps on it and it even kind of works dispite its condition. The other had been removed, taken apart, and most of it internals lost by a previous owner.

Half of the fun is the hunt.

Hope this helps!

Paul
good info..

I've seen the rebuild link before but I seem to have lost it.. so *thumbs up to the link :)

Awesome, link for the rebuild. I need the regulator for the pancake motor drivers side it has a cougar one in it now and the window does not go down the same, Also could use new drivers door tinted power window heck passenger window to.

I can tell this might be something that takes me years to find..

Someone please verify - I am 99% certain that Cougar and Mustang share the same internals for PW's. I used Cougar stuff in a 73 and it worked just fine. I bet you need to adjust it - it took me some time and some bloody knuckles to get mine working well. My current 73 came with PW's and all I had to do is rebuild one motor and buy the 3 single switches.

You can get the PW door glass new with the cut out at the bottom to clear the motor but it is over 250.00 per side.

When hunting down all the parts needed to add PW's to a non PW car I learned to look in the doors of all roll up cars. I found several with the PW glass in them. The parts car that I just bought had a one PW glass in it. (It also had one flat wound hood spring for some strange reason.)

Your best bet is a parts car. The stuff you are looking for are easier to find than all the clips, plug ends, harnesses, and odds and ends.

Have a happy hunt and I hope it does not take years!

- Paul

Awesome, link for the rebuild. I need the regulator for the pancake motor drivers side it has a cougar one in it now and the window does not go down the same, Also could use new drivers door tinted power window heck passenger window to.

My other side has a different bottom piece where the hole attaches to the window it is straighter than the Cougar one. I think it is off a 1969, the window does not go all the way down I never thought to check other parts cars (great advice) $250 a window for new doesn't sound to bad if it is tinted.

The window motors, regulators, tracks, wiring harness, relay, switches and bezels are the same for 71-73 Mustang and Cougar. I have verified it over the years. I am not sure about window glass. 73 switches are still being made by Dorman. 71/72 switches are being reproduced. Bezels are hard to come by now for all years.

Someone please verify - I am 99% certain that Cougar and Mustang share the same internals for PW's. I used Cougar stuff in a 73 and it worked just fine. I bet you need to adjust it - it took me some time and some bloody knuckles to get mine working well. My current 73 came with PW's and all I had to do is rebuild one motor and buy the 3 single switches.

You can get the PW door glass new with the cut out at the bottom to clear the motor but it is over 250.00 per side.

When hunting down all the parts needed to add PW's to a non PW car I learned to look in the doors of all roll up cars. I found several with the PW glass in them. The parts car that I just bought had a one PW glass in it. (It also had one flat wound hood spring for some strange reason.)

Your best bet is a parts car. The stuff you are looking for are easier to find than all the clips, plug ends, harnesses, and odds and ends.

Have a happy hunt and I hope it does not take years!

- Paul

Paul,

When you are parting out the window parts, make sure you get the section of PW wiring harness that runs from the left door kick panel, up behind the defroster ducts and down to the right door kick panel. Over the years I have seen a lot of the conversion kits leave that part of the harness out because it was so difficult to retrieve from the donor car. My hat is off to you collecting PW parts. I did it years ago myself.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
71-2 switches and bezels are not the same as 73

The plastic switch housings are not interchangable either

"Paul,

"My hat is off to you collecting PW parts. I did it years ago myself.

- Jeff"

Jeff -

Thanks but not all that hard once you find a parts car with all of the parts you need - LOL.

I live by the rule that all projects must have a complete parts car even if you do not think you will need parts cause you always need parts.

It is also like a full sized 3D shop manual.

We always make our money back on them and it gives the kids something to play in.

I love hunting parts cars - sometimes they turn out better than the project you are working on.

- Paul

71-2 switches and bezels are not the same as 73

The plastic switch housings are not interchangable either
You are correct Don. My statement was too inclusive. I was trying to point out that all of the PW window parts will directly transfer from the cougar to the mustang. Depending upon the year is what style of bezel and switch you get.

Agreed Cougar and Mustang are the same for the same years

I can tell this might be something that takes me years to find..

GravY...... pardon me while I sit over here sip a beer and smirk! I've had my car three years now. ......... I dont even bother any more. I'm switching to retro and will retro my interior due to the fact I'm missing "bezels and clips and 1 command center set up". The rebuild link is awesome so I'll keep it since my pancakes work well after rebuilding two of them.

1600 Mustangs came with power windows for example in 71. Cougars not sure but it wasnt many. 1600 sounds like a big number until you calculate that to 32 per state. Its a needle .... welcome to the haystack.

After 3 years dealing with idiots and wasting my time I got a psychologist and he says I should laugh and somehow I will build character from the event..... :D

Good luck!!!

Guys

I just rebuilt my two pancake window motor

One work OK and one didn't work more than a little bit

I used the Cougar u tube video that show how to rebuild these units, which was great

However it took me a while to figure out why I couldn't get the one working correctly

So if you are going to try this fix use the video it easy, be real careful to not stick your screw driver inside when separating the halves

Use only white grease

Use Butyl tape caulk to seal all around the halves, but don't use any between the armature cover plate and the one half as it will squish into the teeth of the armature

What is missing from this video, which took me five tries to figure out, was that my armature was warped, and wasn't tracking in the proper location to work correctly

It may have always been this way all along or I could have done it when i tore it apart

To correct this i used my Dial indicator

installed only the armature on the side of the case on its pivot

Marked the armature in 8 segments (1 to 8)

Then watched the run out

I had about 25 thou difference from the high to low

So i gently flex the armature in the areas it was out

One spot at a time checking and repeating

I was able to get the run out with in 5 thou

They both work great now

I hope this help some one out if your gonna try this rebuild

Too late now but a better grease to replace the dated white grease that turns into a rock is, Lucas Oil Products, Inc. Red "N" Tacky #2.

It is also a lithium base grease but seems to work much better on regular windows or power has a anti-seize in it also.

I have located someone to repo the hens teeth clips and will be sending two samples of both the single switch and the drivers switch bezel clips. I am send the clips, bezels, switch and a piece of the door panel to get it right.

They used the same switches in 70 - 72 Mustang, Cougar, some T-birds and also some big Ford cars.

I see the pancake motors on eBay all the time and a member bought a complete set that had been on eBay for at least 9 months. Seems everyone is afraid of them. It is an easy weekend switch. The rear windows are the same just need to ad the motors wiring and switches.

Of course the front windows are different.

I do know where there is a 71 72 set with front windows and part of a 73 set if anyone interested. I will be rebuilding the set I have when I get the clips and might put in one of my cars.

Don't go the route of buying a partial set must be complete or just need a window that shows up pretty often. The front motors and drives you can get anywhere and used on thousands of Ford cars.

A pancake motor needing rebuilt is usually 200 - 250.

David

Back