Mach 1 wheel covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I have Mach 1 wheel covers on my 1972 Convertible. They need painting and polishing. Any advice on how to take them apart, clean and paint them? Do you know the correct paint and where to purchase?

If these are the wheel covers you are referring to they are called the Sport Wheel cover. They were a $45 option back in the day.

sports wheel cover.jpg

If they are, flip them over and you will see several coarse threaded screws on the back side. Remove those and the center section comes out. The back piece/trim ring is stainless and can be polished up. The center section colors vary by year. 1970 was a dark gray and 71 -73 was an argent gray. I used Eastwood Argent Wheel paint on the center section. Don has the replacement tri-bar pony center medallion if you need them.

If these are the wheel covers you are referring to they are called the Sport Wheel cover. They were a $45 option back in the day.

If they are, flip them over and you will see several coarse threaded screws on the back side. Remove those and the center section comes out. The back piece/trim ring is stainless and can be polished up. The center section colors vary by year. 1970 was a dark gray and 71 -73 was an argent gray. I used Eastwood Argent Wheel paint on the center section. Don has the replacement tri-bar pony center medallion if you need them.

Great info. I have 6 of the wheel covers and would need some of the pony centers, thank you so much!!!!

Back