RESTO TIPS WITH --Q--HINGE REBUILD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Scott,

Thankyou very much for going to all that effort on your hinge rebuild video.

I believe you're productions are getting more professional as you go along.

A special thanks for including the segment on the hinge rollers as well.I feel like a real putz now because when i reconditioned my driver's side i did not take the trouble to check for the wear you pointed out in the vid.

Man, iv'e even refinished them in 2pak as well. Oh well, back to the drawing board.:-/

You mentioned that the Steve hinge kits give a lifetime of service. In your opinion, what sort of life would you get out of a stock replacement pin hinge kit. You could, for example express that in how many times you'll be opening your doors i guess, or how many door opens.

Anyway, thanks again for a great vid.

You are the Man!

Greg:)

You guys ROCK! What do you use for the structural adhesive?
Thanks !!!

SEM Multi purpose panel adhesive

http://www.amazon.com/SEM-Paints-SEM39747-Multi-Purpose-Adhesive/dp/B000X1E5MA

Hi Scott,

A special thanks for including the segment on the hinge rollers as well.I feel like a real putz now because when i reconditioned my driver's side i did not take the trouble to check for the wear you pointed out in the vid.

Man, iv'e even refinished them in 2pak as well. Oh well, back to the drawing board.:-/

You mentioned that the Steve hinge kits give a lifetime of service. In your opinion, what sort of life would you get out of a stock replacement pin hinge kit. You could, for example express that in how many times you'll be opening your doors i guess, or how many door opens.

You are the Man!

Thanks G...I think the place your going to see the most wear is on the drivers side..It's hard to say what type of life span a stock setup will give.depends on use..The biggest thing besides wear is play (which makes the door sag)..I've seen brand new stock bushings & pins installed & the door will still have play..NO PLAY WHAT SO EVER in the M.S. setup..

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys ROCK! What do you use for the structural adhesive?
Thanks !!!

SEM Multi purpose panel adhesive

http://www.amazon.com/SEM-Paints-SEM39747-Multi-Purpose-Adhesive/dp/B000X1E5MA

Hi Scott,

You are the Man!

Thanks G...I think the place your going to see the most wear is on the drivers side..It's hard to say what type of life span a stock setup will give.depends on use..The biggest thing besides wear is play (which makes the door sag)..I've seen brand stock bushings & pins installed & the door will still have play..NO PLAY WHAT SO EVER in the M.S. setup..
Copy That.

LMAO!! You're awesome, Scott! Nice video, and nicely done hinges. I think I'll be ordering up a kit and gettin' my hinges back in order ASAP. I went ahead and tossed in some new bushings and pins and it helped a ton, but like you said the rollers are still a little wobbly and need some attention of their own.

I figure now is the best time, since I'm not anywhere close to being ready for the body shop just yet.

LMAO!! You're awesome, Scott! Nice video, and nicely done hinges. I think I'll be ordering up a kit and gettin' my hinges back in order ASAP. I went ahead and tossed in some new bushings and pins and it helped a ton, but like you said the rollers are still a little wobbly and need some attention of their own.

I figure now is the best time, since I'm not anywhere close to being ready for the body shop just yet.
Do it you won't be sorry..I just got back from the garage I have the door mounted with the new hinges..BETTER than NEW..Gonna shoot a quick vid tomorrow showing how well they work..Plus all the progress I made this weekend..Biggest plus was fixing the rollers & spring..

Nice work Scott! I like watching your videos, well done and no self promotion BS.

Like Joe Friday would say... Just the facts. :D Now our younger members are asking Joe WHO???

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video, Q (and yes, amusing as hell...all in good humor folks). :D I'll be adding this hinge rebuild to my list of things to do. Very informative! :goodpost:

Rich

I really need to get at least one new hinge for my DS door, as the small rod meant to hold the roller in place has broken off..... one of the many things I need to do...

Nice how to videos Q. I'm thinking of getting these for my project and if/when I get them these videos will definitely help.

Back