Rear spoiler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leomust68

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach 1 in the process of restoring
Just wondering how did or how does someone find out the correct color the rear spoiler was painted ? I believe there were onlt two colors available black or argent is that correct

Black is all I've ever seen.
Thats what I have seen as well but my car has me wondering

Heres a pic of my spoiler

IMAG1585.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My C6 Blue Glow Mach 1 came from the factory with the rear spoiler and it was argent (to match the tutone hood paint and side stripes).

Black spoiler with black stripes or argent spoiler and air dam with argent stripes.

images

images

So, I've been wondering about this myself. My car is not anything you'd call concourse and the rear spoiler is painted in the (incorrect only in that it was never painted on any '71 Ford at the factory, but correct in that it happens to be my all-time favorite Mustang color) body color. I take it from the above that a body color spoiler was not an option?

No front spoiler was ever offered as a factory option on any 71-73 Mustang, or any other Mustang.

It was standard equipment and only available on the 71 BOSS 351. However, it was a pretty popular item from the parts counter at about $35 throughout the 70s.

And I know this will get some disagreement, but I am fairly certain that it came only in black from Ford. The "argent" colored front spoilers originated years later with the aftermarket.

Back in the 70s, I remember seeing several BOSS 351s with lower-body "argent" tutone with black front spoilers...never saw an argent spoiler until the 80s.

Back