2013 Fitness thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
In reading through the resolution thread there seemed to be a recurring theme about weight loss, fitness and generally improving our health. I thought a thread where we can share ideas and tips for improving overall health may be a good place to start.

We can all use some accountability IMO. What about posting beginning height and weight?

Who's in?

Does anyone have ideas for cardio workouts for someone with damaged/arthritic knees? I've been using vitamin D3 which has reduced knee pain but running is out of the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
In reading through the resolution thread there seemed to be a recurring theme about weight loss, fitness and generally improving our health. I thought a thread where we can share ideas and tips for improving overall health may be a good place to start.

We can all use some accountability IMO. What about posting beginning height and weight?

Who's in?

Does anyone have ideas for cardio workouts for someone with damaged/arthritic knees? I've been using vitamin D3 which has reduced knee pain but running is out of the question.
I have a Concept2 rowing machine. Great full body workout and has little impact in your knees.

I am in shape! I mean a pear is a shape too, isn't it? :)

Who wants a six pack when he can have a keg, anyway?

Who's in?

Have any of you tried Knox Gelatine?..My cousin got on a kick about it..Cause he used it for a tenis elbo thing...But i never had any issues with that or knees..But my freind did..And was buying some pain meds and vits d3 over at the market...I asked him if he ever heard of or tried knox? He said no..I told him about my cousin and how much he said it made his joints feel....So he said hell..wouldn't hurt....And got some...2 weeks later he calls me and says...His knees never felt so good in years...And just takes it in a glass instead of pain meds now...Not sure if it works for everyone..But they all sure believe in it...Worth a shot i guess.

Gelatin comes from collagen, which is part of the bones and connective tissue...but gots too be real gelatin not the fake jello stuff.

I've spent the better part of my life trying to stay in good shape, 25 years in the Marines will do that to you. After retirement more than 5 years ago now and I've gained about 25 pounds. I have some ortho problems as well. One of the best home fitness machines I've used is the total gym. It's easy on the body and you can get a great, fast workout, cardio and muscle toning in about 30 minutes. I bought one used a few years ago for $100 on craigslist. You can't go wrong!

Sounds like a great idea Jeff....and does the D3 actually work for the knee's?

I just started taking glucoscemene (sp) supposed to help with bad knees
I took glucosemine before I switched to D3. I have way more good days with the D3 than I did with glucosemine.

I am in shape! I mean a pear is a shape too, isn't it? :)

Who wants a six pack when he can have a keg, anyway?
That's what I have said over the years... I'll NEVER have a 6 pack but I'd like to reduce the full barrel to a pony keg! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Tnfastbk

I like the Motovation!!! :)

Jeff,

I think you can do Upper body Cardio Excersise to get the heart rate up. that will have no impact on the knees!!

I wont mind joining this weight loss post!!

I lost 50lbs last spring, by just changing my diet, but my body got used to it, and I put on about 40 lbs scince the summer back on.

I did sign up at the planet fitness down the street its open 24 hrs, now I just need to make an hour to get there.

my wife wants me to join WeightWatchers with her, her work has a Family incentive, its free as long as we can each loose 20+ LBS and keep it off, and in December we will get $10 per pound lost upto the 20 lbs, and an additional $50 for being non smokers.

Now thats my motovation!!! :D

Jeff, Count me in. I used to race triathlons but over the last 3 years I've transformed a 6 pack into Heniken mini kegs.

DSCN0031.jpg

Maybe I need to sign up/pay for some races and then would have to start training again for said races lest I die a few strokes into the swim after the start.

As fas as cardio with bad knees, swimming is great on the joints. But you have to swim with a purpose and with goggles for it to work.

Let's get this party started!

My name is Jeff

I am 47 years old, 6'1 and I currently weigh 222 pounds. My goal weight is 192 pounds. I want to make it to my goal weight by the end of 2013.

This month I am giving up soft drinks, bread and sweets and making sure to add 15 minutes a day of walking and the same of light weight lifting.

On February 1, I will weigh no more than 217 pounds.

Let's get this party started!

My name is Jeff

I am 47 years old, 6'1 and I currently weigh 222 pounds. My goal weight is 192 pounds. I want to make it to my goal weight by the end of 2013.

This month I am giving up soft drinks, bread and sweets and making sure to add 15 minutes a day of walking and the same of light weight lifting.

On February 1, I will weigh no more than 217 pounds.
There you go showing us all up with a plan. I suppose I need one of those too.

Unfortunately I always have to exercise due to the Army. However, I hate running so most of the time I get my cardio from a rowing machine or bicycle machine. I do hit the weights everyday though. From what I have read an hour of working out, 5 or 6 tiny meals a day, and no junk (soda, lots of carbs, candy, etc. :() gets me through just fine for the Army. I have a knee issue as well and anytime I run 2 or 3 miles my knee is killing me. I take multi-vitamins and fish oil each day. Hopefully I keep this up for the next however many years lol.

Unfortunately I always have to exercise due to the Army. However, I hate running so most of the time I get my cardio from a rowing machine or bicycle machine. I do hit the weights everyday though. From what I have read an hour of working out, 5 or 6 tiny meals a day, and no junk (soda, lots of carbs, candy, etc. :() gets me through just fine for the Army. I have a knee issue as well and anytime I run 2 or 3 miles my knee is killing me. I take multi-vitamins and fish oil each day. Hopefully I keep this up for the next however many years lol.
Man I understand you all too well.

I'm already in decent shape, although I would like to lose around 15 pounds, just to tone up. Also getting my PT test to around a 290 again is a goal for me this year.

Just eating better will probably do the trick for me, I tend to eat truck loads at chow time.

Well, I have the following suggestions:

1. Doc is the skinniest guy I know on this forum. I'm thinking he is 6' 180...and that would be holding a couple of cold ones.

I think we force him, everyday, to write down what he eats for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The following day, we just eat what he eats.

2. If we want to get serious, why don't we "share" a google doc where we weigh in every week. Everyone who wants in on this can PM me, I will add there name to a Google Doc Spreadsheet. Every Sunday or Monday, I will PM you guys to weigh in. Let's see if we can make some headway here.

3. I have the following eating suggestions. I tend to lose weight when I follow thes suggestions, but just didn't have the support to keep following them. Maybe now I do:

- When You Put Food In Your Mouth, Put Down Your Fork And Your Knife. DO NOT ever have food in your mouth and food on your fork at the same time. N E V E R. Don't even start cutting your food until your mouth is empty.

- Don't be afraid to throw 1/2 of your food away. When you are part of the "children are starving in Korea" generation, it is hard to throw away food. But, when you start throwing your food away you wife will start serving you less. And, when you eat S L O W L Y, you will feel full before all of your food is gone. I threw away some of the best fries, onion rings and a chili burger tonight because of this thread.

Oh...and someone make up a good file name.

I would use 7173fatbastards, but I am not a bastard as far as I know.

Back