sport wheel covers with stock rims

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I just have the standard rims with Sport wheel covers on my 1972. The rims look like they are painted black, was that the original color? I want to prime and repaint them and buy new center caps from Don for my Sport wheel covers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beleive I indicated in my previous post on these that the raised portion will be an argent gray for 72. That is the five lobe raised portion in the center. I was going to say flower shaped, but that just didn't feel right for a muscle car. The inset areas will be a dark gray almost black. I am trying to find a color to match that on mine. Each of the openings in the cover will have a chrome trim molding around the opening. The chrome center caps are not reproduced, but Don can get the medallion for you.

Not many folks are running these wheel covers anymore. Most are either Magnums (original or not) or the full Ford Motor Company wheel cover. Good luck cleaning them up and getting them on the car. If you need any extra parts lets me know, I have about 4 complete sets including some of the deep dish versions.

Thank you for the info. I have 6 of the wheel covers in various conditions. I will have to take them apart and mix and match and order new medallions from Don, most of mine have cracked plastic. The ribbed portions of some of mine have worn thru to a shiny chrome appearance, that is why I was wondering about the original color. How do you paint the inset areas? It looks like you may have to tediously paint those areas with a small brush or something.

This isn't the greatest detail shot, but my '71 Mach is wearing unrestored originals. The dark grey area may have lightened some over the years, but they are reasonably representative.

I'll get you a better photo in the morning.

71_mustang_29.jpg

-Kurt

Thank you for the info. I have 6 of the wheel covers in various conditions. I will have to take them apart and mix and match and order new medallions from Don, most of mine have cracked plastic. The ribbed portions of some of mine have worn thru to a shiny chrome appearance, that is why I was wondering about the original color. How do you paint the inset areas? It looks like you may have to tediously paint those areas with a small brush or something.
The hubcap comes apart with screws...

Flat head screw driver!

The hubcap comes apart with screws...

Flat head screw driver!
No, just a small not driver. I cannot think of the size right now, but it is not bigger than 3/8.

I also have a set that it appears someone removed the paint on the raised portion and polished it to look like chrome. Probably a 70's throw back. I took a lot of time and some fine line tape to mask mine off and paint the argent portion. I only did two of them and then rethought my plan to mask off the chrome around the openings and shoot the whole cover black/gray for the recessed areas and then come back and mask those to shoot the arget on the raised section. I am still trying to locate the right color of black/gray for the recessed areas. If I find it I will let you know. Right now my focus is on suspension detailing and installation.

Thank you! Also, I am going to buy some tires for my car. Do you know what are the widest tires that I can run on the stock rims??
Do a search of the forum by selecting the Search in the upper right. I would use Tire Size for searching and select the subject line. This will give you several results to browse through.

The color looks right in the above pictures. Here are some pics of the deep ones that I sold a while back. They did not fit my wheels on my 73 vert 6 cyl.

DSCF3347.jpg

DSCF3357.jpg

DSCF3358.jpg

Back