Ex Corvette owner looking for new Ride

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

72 LT1

Reaction score
My Car
Sold 1972 Vette Looking for 1971-73 Mach1
Hello. New guy from MA. Here. I have sold both my fun cars and am looking into getting another. I recently traded my 2012 Mustang GT 5.0/6spd/Brembo car and had sold my resto/moded 72 Vette a couple years ago. I love the look of the 71-73 body styles and am trying to learn more about them. So far this site seems great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

So far this site is the reference in the world :)

I found a 73 Grandé in France, should not be a problem to find a 71-73 model in US, I guess.

A bientôt

I'm looking to find a Mach1 and do a mild resto/mod to it. I love the stock look, magnum 500s, and stock paint scheme. My last project was a 72 Vette. 350 ZZ4 crate engine, muncie 4spd (m20), 3:55 gears. I updated the suspension w/poly bushings bigger sway bars, lowered springs and gas shocks. I ran the stock 15x8 ralleys w/BFG tires. 255/60s rear, 235/60s front. I ran headers into a chambered exhaust. The car had a wicked exhaust note. She handled good, (for an old car on BFG's) looked great, but was not that comfortable. The 350 was rated at 355 hp. Chassis dyno read 265 rwhp. The car wieghed 3280 lbs w/half tank of fuel. The IRS bit hard, but kinda took the fun out of driving it. Burn outs were a 4,000 rpm clutch drop, otherwise it just went. I would like to duplicate the handling, increase the comfort and bump up the performance/hp. Tall order, but I think its achievable. Plus I would have a trunk.

Welcome to the site from west Michigan.

No doubt about it you've found the best place for 71-73 advice. It will take a little effort to make the Mustang handle like the "Vette but it can be done. The Mustang will ride and drive a ton better and be an overall enjoyable car. Start with the best car you can find, most likely a southern/western body as these cars can have rust issues. Look at the inside of the cowl, trunk floors, floors and front aprons. As for power, don't worry about it, there's plenty to be made with any of the FoMoCo options.

There have been a couple of decent options posted on the site lately.

Good luck with the search.

Welcome from Mustang, Oklahoma. Your goals are very achievable. Enjoy the site. Chuck

I'm looking to find a Mach1 and do a mild resto/mod to it. I love the stock look, magnum 500s, and stock paint scheme. My last project was a 72 Vette. 350 ZZ4 crate engine, muncie 4spd (m20), 3:55 gears. I updated the suspension w/poly bushings bigger sway bars, lowered springs and gas shocks. I ran the stock 15x8 ralleys w/BFG tires. 255/60s rear, 235/60s front. I ran headers into a chambered exhaust. The car had a wicked exhaust note. She handled good, (for an old car on BFG's) looked great, but was not that comfortable. The 350 was rated at 355 hp. Chassis dyno read 265 rwhp. The car wieghed 3280 lbs w/half tank of fuel. The IRS bit hard, but kinda took the fun out of driving it. Burn outs were a 4,000 rpm clutch drop, otherwise it just went. I would like to duplicate the handling, increase the comfort and bump up the performance/hp. Tall order, but I think its achievable. Plus I would have a trunk.
Welcome from washington state..my buddy had the last year of the shark..The 76 i think?..We drove around alot together...My mach 1 pretty much stock original at the time.....My car defenatly way more comfy...Im a big tall guy...So i dont fit well in the vett...I could fit fine..Just not comfy...lack of head room...And when it come down too racing around...I defenatly had more power than his at the time and could hang right with him and my cousin rx7 on the twisty roads no issue at all.....These cars mite look big..But they realy are not that heavy for all the performance you get...They got better handling than any other stangs before it...Better bigger engine bay... no cutting needed for big blocks...I like the vett and think they are great..But as a driver..Not my cup of tea...lol...Btw im not too brand bias...Ford dodge chev...I think they all make some classy rides.

I let alot of my chevy freinds...drive my old mach 1 and they are amazed at how well it handles and feels on the road...If your looking for a good handling classic mustang...Doesnt get much better than 71-73's in my book...Plus you can dump more power into them than you could legaly have on the road if your wished..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from coastal Alabama! Your vette sounded cool. Got any pics? I think you can reach your goal with a 71/73 Mach 1. But I think the handling & comfort are a tradeoff relationship. The performance/hp goal shouldn't be a problem to duplicate with a 351C. These engines are made to breathe and are rev happy.

Here's an article I copied/posted that's a pretty good read about the 351C.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-the-amazing-351c-4v

Welcome from Washington State! Got to agree with others, our 71-73's are among the most comfortable and best handling early muscle cars...but they do have a lot of blind spots, causing a challenge to drive in heavy traffic.

Welcome from Washington State! Got to agree with others, our 71-73's are among the most comfortable and best handling early muscle cars...but they do have a lot of blind spots, causing a challenge to drive in heavy traffic.
Really I just use those little warning arrows on the dash and go. They put brakes on the other cars for a reason:p

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I don't have any digital pics of the Vette. I could scan the paper ones I have at some point. I wasn't sure if posting Vette pics on a Mustang site was going to be cool or not. You asked, I'll send. I will look for the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back