Air Cleaner Assembly?!?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikhead

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
Haha my Dad and I have learned an extreme amount, but we are now confused once again, with what we need for an air cleaner assembly. At this point we want to do the things that are missing from the engine to have it in good running condition. The engine fires now, but needs tweaks here and there. So my question is, the engine has a 4 barrel edelbrock carb, with the 2v 4 barrel combo intake thing, by edelbrock, but were missing the air cleaner assembly. We are planning on adding the ram air system, and so what we need to know is, if we can find an orig. air cleaner assembly, does it need to be for a 2v or 4v? and has to work with ram air. I have found some different ones, but am not sure of what it exactly needs. Here's a link to what were looking for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390129389626?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks everyone!!

The carburetor flange is the same on 2V od 4V carbs. So the air cleaner assembly will fit on both.

The air cleaner shown will not work with the ram air system. The ram air has a unique air cleaner housing that makes contact to the underhood-mounted plenum chamber. This chamber is a huge part with two vacuum-operated flapper valves attached to the scoops in the NASA-hood.

The contact area between the air cleaner housing and the plenum chamber is sealed with a rubber lip.

The critical part in this configuration is the height of the manifold/carb arrangement. Is it too high, the air cleaner touches the plenum and the hood won't close. Is it too flat, there is no sufficient seal between the rubber lip and the plenum.

Measure before buying parts - and measure exactly...

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's the Dynacorn kit.

Yep, you should consider the height of the manifold and carburetor and maybe any spacer.

The filter unit must exactly match the hood plenum.

Yep, you should consider the height of the manifold and carburetor and maybe any spacer.

Ok sounds good!! Thank you very much!

I knew about the upper part for the ram air:

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2074

So I need to make sure that the assembly is made for the ram air system and also has clearance?
I would call Don at Ohio mustang and pick his brain. I'm almost sure the Ram Air setup Don sells will work on your car.
The hood has the proper components for attaching the system, but sense it doesn't have an air cleaner assembly, I guess I need to first find an air cleaner assembly and measure that with this carb everything will still fit.

I have read up quite a bit on ram air, the kits are expensive.

If you are adding it for show that's one thing.

If you're adding it for performance, your $1000 will be better spent elsewhere.

(you'll notice the hole in your wallet alot more than that 5 extra HP)

I knew about the upper part for the ram air:

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=2074

So I need to make sure that the assembly is made for the ram air system and also has clearance?
I would call Don at Ohio mustang and pick his brain. I'm almost sure the Ram Air setup Don sells will work on your car.
The hood has the proper components for attaching the system, but sense it doesn't have an air cleaner assembly, I guess I need to first find an air cleaner assembly and measure that with this carb everything will still fit.
I think you can buy just the air cleaner lid and base.

They are a tad on the pricy side. What is the benefits of the ram air performance wise? We realize it'd be more useful on the highway than in town driving, but know that it can add some value, etc.

Thank you, I'll have to do some more research into things.

What is the benefits of the ram air performance wise? We realize it'd be more useful on the highway than in town driving, but know that it can add some value, etc.

It adds about 5hp, maybe a little more at high speeds.

An open element air cleaner can add about that too vs the stock snorkle.

As for increasing value of the car, it might make it slightly more attractive to a buyer, even more so if it origionally came with ramair.

but,,,,if you're just fixing up this car to make a profit, I think your money would be better spent on paint.

They are a tad on the pricy side. What is the benefits of the ram air performance wise? We realize it'd be more useful on the highway than in town driving, but know that it can add some value, etc.

OMS has the complete system 529

Item #3641QXYKIT

71-3 RAM AIR SYSTEM KIT

Ram air system includes metal base complete with snorkel, vacuum assembly and lid, hood plenum with functional vacuum flapper assemblies, seal, vacuum lines, tee, screws, clips, filter, breather element and wing nut. Kit for 351C. Excellent reproduction. Price: $529.95

like others said, you'll get a better return spending the money on performance parts vs. the Ram Air kit.

Also it might not fit right out of the box, you have an aftermarket intake manifold, so your hight and alingment might be just right, or too low, or high.

I thought you wanted to make it as close to original ? acording to the Marti Report, it didnt have Ram Air.

Just my 2 cents :D

What is the benefits of the ram air performance wise? We realize it'd be more useful on the highway than in town driving, but know that it can add some value, etc.

It adds about 5hp, maybe a little more at high speeds.

An open element air cleaner can add about that too vs the stock snorkle.

As for increasing value of the car, it might make it slightly more attractive to a buyer, even more so if it origionally came with ramair.

but,,,,if you're just fixing up this car to make a profit, I think your money would be better spent on paint.
We're not planning on selling, but I'll have to talk to my Dad and see what he wants to do and I'll let him your posts

OMS has the complete system 529

Item #3641QXYKIT

71-3 RAM AIR SYSTEM KIT

Ram air system includes metal base complete with snorkel, vacuum assembly and lid, hood plenum with functional vacuum flapper assemblies, seal, vacuum lines, tee, screws, clips, filter, breather element and wing nut. Kit for 351C. Excellent reproduction. Price: $529.95
We'd most Likely get the kit from OMS, but we need to make sure it will all fit sense were missing the air filter assembly

like others said, you'll get a better return spending the money on performance parts vs. the Ram Air kit.

Also it might not fit right out of the box, you have an aftermarket intake manifold, so your hight and alingment might be just right, or too low, or high.

I thought you wanted to make it as close to original ? acording to the Marti Report, it didnt have Ram Air.

Just my 2 cents :D
Ya that's what I was talking to him about, so he was saying get an orig 2/2 intake carb but I guess liked the ram air. The only thing we were wondering is if you don't have ram air attached, would it be wise to block up the hood air holes? Otherwise you have random bugs dirt etc going all right over the engine

The only thing we were wondering is if you don't have ram air attached, would it be wise to block up the hood air holes? Otherwise you have random bugs dirt etc going all right over the engine
Where are you driving, off road 4x4?

I took the plugs out of mine and haven't seen a bug yet. The radiator is

not going to stop much dirt and probably most of it will get drawn in from the bottom anyway.

You'll stll have to clean your engine if you drive it. :)

I figure it's better to let in cool air, a poor man's ramair.

they have block off plates for the Non Ram Air cars. and they are under $30

here is the link http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=AB70+01
Thank you very much

The only thing we were wondering is if you don't have ram air attached, would it be wise to block up the hood air holes? Otherwise you have random bugs dirt etc going all right over the engine

not going to stop much dirt and probably most of it will get drawn in from the bottom anyway.

Yup, mud racing is my plan!!! (Jk) lol but I figured it wouldn't be good to have em open, but a poor mans ram air sounds pretty good lol

LOL I'm with you on the poor mans ram air

2012-01-05_20-41-53_715.jpg

Back