Build/Restore Thread: 1973 Ford Mustang Fastback

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73.Fastback

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ford Mustang Fastback.

It needs to be restored!
Hey guys, I've been on many forums so I know how the system works.

This is my first build/restore. 1973 Ford Mustang Fastback. Currently, the engine starts but it is not drivable due to a minor transmission problem. Right now it is in the shop getting checked out. I'm more of the cosmetic builder - so I let the pros handle the engine/transmission situation.

I will post pictures during the process except the engine/transmission part because it will be done by the pros.

A little history behind the fastback: There was a TV show called 'Repo Games' and the guy couldn't pay back the loan or couldn't make payments. He failed to answer 3 of the questions correct so they repo'ed his car.

The Fastback episode starts at 7:30. Feel free to watch the whole show.

Link - http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/um439i/repo-games-darwin-makes-a-break-for-it-season-1-ep-102

Pictures:

photo1_zpsc268b420.jpg

photo4-1_zpsc31bb7f5.jpg

photo2-1_zpsf1eae52f.jpg

photo3_zpse99019a0.jpg

Update: I talked to my mechanic and he says there are quite a bit of things that needs to be worked on as far as the mechanical side of the Fastback. So I went ahead and gave him the green light to start working on it. When it's done, I will do my best to take pictures of the work that was done to the car. It may take a while for him to do all the work so we gotta be patient! But if you guys have any questions, opinions, or suggestions about the Fastback, feel free to post it on here!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall watching that episode and if I remember I knew the answers to the questions. Overall the car looks pretty solid, how is it up close?

What motor/tranny combination does she have? What are your intentions for the future? Daily driver, weekend cruiser, street beast, strip? Nice pics of the "before" for this build/restore thread! :)
I believe it has a Edelbrock 351c engine with less than 5,000 miles (according to the previous owner) and it is connected to a C4 Automatic Transmission. I will update with more information about the engine/tranny combo when I learn more from my mechanic.

After it's all done, it will be more of a weekend cruiser but I am not going to keep it for a long time. I'm the kinda guy that buys the car that need to be restored/built back together. And then sell it. That's the kind of business I would like to get into so this is my first project and will see how it goes!

I recall watching that episode and if I remember I knew the answers to the questions. Overall the car looks pretty solid, how is it up close?
Then you would've won the car back! It is pretty solid, there are a few rust areas that needs to be taken care of before paint. Overall the body is real straight. The interior is not bad at all - I just need to freshen it up a bit.

Good luck with the car, it has a very memorable story!
Thanks! I agree - that's part of the reason why I am restoring and building it back together.

Again, howdy from Phoenix. Fixing up and selling is typically a money losing business especially if you are paying folks to do the work. You indicate you do the cosmetic side? You will do the body/paint yourself? That could mean the difference between losing money on the deal or not.

I am gonna bet once you get it fixed up and drive it a bit you will decide to keep it. ;)

The engine is almost certainly a 351C (looking at the pic). The transmission is probably an FMX or C6. Edelbrock didn't make an aftermarket 351C but they do make aftermarket heads for them. Looking at the picture I don't think your engine has the Edelbrock heads. THe valve covers and air cleaner do appear to be Edelbrock.

If you get the gumption to pull the engine so you can clean up the engine bay and paint it, let me know. I can help you pull it.

I only saw two questions and then they went to the Harley house. I could have answered those easy. Does he get the third question wrong later on? Too many commercials.

Again, howdy from Phoenix. Fixing up and selling is typically a money losing business especially if you are paying folks to do the work. You indicate you do the cosmetic side? You will do the body/paint yourself? That could mean the difference between losing money on the deal or not.

I am gonna bet once you get it fixed up and drive it a bit you will decide to keep it. ;)

The engine is almost certainly a 351C (looking at the pic). The transmission is probably an FMX or C6. Edelbrock didn't make an aftermarket 351C but they do make aftermarket heads for them. Looking at the picture I don't think your engine has the Edelbrock heads. THe valve covers and air cleaner do appear to be Edelbrock.

If you get the gumption to pull the engine so you can clean up the engine bay and paint it, let me know. I can help you pull it.

I only saw two questions and then they went to the Harley house. I could have answered those easy. Does he get the third question wrong later on? Too many commercials.
I'm only paying folks that fixes up the mechanical side of the car. I am more of a cosmetic type guy so I will be doing body/paint and little bit of electircal. Haha we shall find out if I want to keep it after I drive it.

Engine. The previous owner told me it is a Edelbrock 351C, and has a pretty decent dress up kit. I guess he just forgot to mention it's a 351C engine with Edelbrock heads and nice dress up kit. Or forgot to mention that it just has a Edelbrock dress up kit. I'll have to talk to my mechanic about that. Also I might have to take up your offer for pulling the engine out so that I can do my body work on the small rust issues in the engine bay. I've always wanted to know how to do it and see a person do it. Only small problem, I don't have the engine hoist or crane and an engine stand. Because I don't know how to pull an engine out and all that.

He got the third question right I believe. The question was - Which month is the black history month or something? He answered February, which is correct. Got the 4th one wrong - can't remember the question though.

Pulling the engine isn't too bad. I don't have a picker, I can usually borrow one. Engine stand is pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. I had one and loaned it out. I don't have one anymore. :)

If you are going to fix it up it's really the only way to clean up the engine bay right. I painted mine about 15 years ago and it still looks pretty darn good.

Also, cleaning up the engine itself is so much easier when it is out. We will want to do all of this before you paint the car itself. :)

BTW. The fenders look good but if you have to replace them, the 73 fenders are different than 71/72 fenders.

Are you in Mesa?

Pulling the engine isn't too bad. I don't have a picker, I can usually borrow one. Engine stand is pretty cheap at Harbor Freight. I had one and loaned it out. I don't have one anymore. :)

If you are going to fix it up it's really the only way to clean up the engine bay right. I painted mine about 15 years ago and it still looks pretty darn good.

Also, cleaning up the engine itself is so much easier when it is out. We will want to do all of this before you paint the car itself. :)

BTW. The fenders look good but if you have to replace them, the 73 fenders are different than 71/72 fenders.

Are you in Mesa?
My mechanic told me about the engine bay situation with the rust. He suggested getting a whole new engine bay frame or sheet metal because there was nothing under the engine so I gave him the green light to take care of the engine bay including painting it jet black (special paint) when it's all done. They are going to take the engine out of the car anyway so why not get it done while the engine is out. Actually gave me a pretty decent deal on it so I let them do it.

I don't think I need new fenders - but I could tell they were different from the '71/'72. Thanks for the advice though!

I'm not located in Mesa - I'm over by Scottsdale/Fountain Hills. Are you in Mesa?

Oh wow - hard to find one that has no rust. How much did you pick it up? Did you build/restore it yourself?

Update: I will be coming home from college to check on the car this weekend. My mechanic says it will take a few months (hopefully 2 months, but 3 the latest) to do all the work that needs to be done. I will be taking pictures of the Fastback so expect a few new ones from me this weekend!

On the side, this Fastback came with the original color of Medium Aqua - I think I'm going to stick with that color. What do you guys think?

Looks like this:

MediumAquaPaint2_zps70e03d59.jpg

It is your car so you should paint it the color that YOU want to paint it, but painting it the original should increase the value. I think that color would look good with the black out treatmant on the hood and side stripes on the car to break it up a bit.

It is your car so you should paint it the color that YOU want to paint it, but painting it the original should increase the value. I think that color would look good with the black out treatmant on the hood and side stripes on the car to break it up a bit.
That's part of the reason why I'm sticking with the original paint. The other part is that it would look good with the black out treatment - kind of makes the paint pop.

Hey guys. Sorry for the long delay - here's the new update:

The new parts are expected to come in today or sometime this week before the weekend. Once the shop gets the parts for my Fastback, they will start working on it. As far as the work on the Fastback, nothing has been done other than re-parked it into one of the parking spots.

Side Note: I found out that my Fastback actually has a 451 engine with Edelbrock dress up kit. I thought the engine was a 351 but that's good news.

Here's an updated picture of the car:

photo_zpsd0455b18.jpg

That's part of the reason why I'm sticking with the original paint. The other part is that it would look good with the black out treatment - kind of makes the paint pop.
I agree that it would look good with the black accents.

I agree that it would look good with the black accents.
I think so too - do you think even though it's a Mach 1 clone, does it really add more value to the Fastback? I've been debating on whether I should turn it into a Mach 1 clone or not...

Back