HI FI Repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
I have a circa 1990's Phillips FR980 Reciever that blowed up on me:

i725hs.jpg

14mwec3.jpg

It appears to me these capacitors have leaked, due to the brown goo at the bottom of them:

2ce1zir.jpg

o8a23d.jpg

263irv4.jpg

Anyone have expertise in this area? Or perhaps you know someone who has?

That should just be adhesive, although it is a little discolored from heat. They use that to keep large devices in place so they don't breaking the solder joint. Chokes and toroids usually have silicone instead. Usually the caps will bulge or split open at the top and leak an oily substance, that's if they don't pop all together. They can also dry out and fail.

It sounds like there is emotional attachment to the unit. However, it may be time to pull the plug on it due to the cost of repair. I finally had to get rid of an old 1975 Pioneer 1010 several years ago because the pots were no longer available (and I'd rebuilt the power section and recapped it twice). If you want to have it repaired there are several vintage repair services offered on ebay. They due tend to cater to 70s brands like Pioneer. Good luck with the search. Chuck

I have 3 of these. Bought the first new, the 2nd and 3rd used. This is one of the used ones.

In regards to how it broke, I was using it for sound for the TV. 5-10 watts per channel tops. But, it was running hot...not warm but hot. Then, one day I just turned it on, the display was goofy, and no sound.

I did go through all the inputs and outputs externally without any luck. It is no longer hot, but it is warm. Speaker relays work, so that isn't an issue.

As far as emotional attachments, I can assure you I would spend $1k in a heartbeat on an amp/receiver if I could find one I liked. As a teen I couldn't wait to grow old so I would have the resources to walk into the HIFI store, pick out the prettiest, meanest receiver and lay down the cash in exchange for sweet sounding AC/DC.

But, frankly, I have been to many a HIFI store, and everything I see sucks. Maybe I am spoiled about being able to press a button and go right to my source or right to my output, and having all my settings show on the display at once.

To conclude, I am not emotionally attached. I just don't see anything worth buying. I am open to suggestions. FWIW, Pioneer-No, Marantz-No, HK-No, Kenwood-No, Onkyo-No.

It sounds like its seen better days!!

Yamaha makes an very nice Reciver/Amp, Sony and also Dennon.

examples:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1qQxVHjlYvf/g_10420/Home-Theater-Receivers.html

Back in the 90's when I worked at Radio Shack I bought all of the Rack Components "Optimus Pro series" that was made by Pioneer 540W X4 and surround sound, I would hate to loose it, I love the sound quality and the features it has.

I have 3 of these. Bought the first new, the 2nd and 3rd used. This is one of the used ones.

In regards to how it broke, I was using it for sound for the TV. 5-10 watts per channel tops. But, it was running hot...not warm but hot. Then, one day I just turned it on, the display was goofy, and no sound.

I did go through all the inputs and outputs externally without any luck. It is no longer hot, but it is warm. Speaker relays work, so that isn't an issue.

As far as emotional attachments, I can assure you I would spend $1k in a heartbeat on an amp/receiver if I could find one I liked. As a teen I couldn't wait to grow old so I would have the resources to walk into the HIFI store, pick out the prettiest, meanest receiver and lay down the cash in exchange for sweet sounding AC/DC.

But, frankly, I have been to many a HIFI store, and everything I see sucks. Maybe I am spoiled about being able to press a button and go right to my source or right to my output, and having all my settings show on the display at once.

To conclude, I am not emotionally attached. I just don't see anything worth buying. I am open to suggestions. FWIW, Pioneer-No, Marantz-No, HK-No, Kenwood-No, Onkyo-No.
At least you're not picky. Wire a Blaupunkt car stereo into your home system.

Actually, for the garage I have a nice compact Pioneer hooked up to my spare batteries, hooked up to my trickle charger.

If it wasn't for all the space the batteries take up, or all the space and heat a 12VDC power supply and external amp would need to put out some watts, I would absolutely pick out a nice double din auto HIFI. Maybe I can mount that power supply on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a Denon a couple years ago.

One feature I like is the receiver upscales

all video input to 1080p. I run the satellite

link through the Denon amp so no matter

what resolution the signal comes in all

images on the plasma TV fill the screen

in HD.

mike

Actually, for the garage I have a nice compact Pioneer hooked up to my spare batteries, hooked up to my trickle charger.

If it wasn't for all the space the batteries take up, or all the space and heat a 12VDC power supply and external amp would need to put out some watts, I would absolutely pick out a nice double din auto HIFI. Maybe I can mount that power supply on the wall.
Want to borrow my spare particle accelerator until you get it fixed?

LOL nice. I can't put one over on you, can I?

I hear ya, Wolf. I used to be into top-end HiFi components in the 80's, but fell out somewhere along the way. Now I want a good quality set for the garage, but there are no more HiFi stores anymore. Everyone is selling home theater systems. Where's all the good quality speakers? Bose? Sheee-it...give me a break. Where's JBL at all? Where's the hi-end receiver/amplifiers? I can order things online, but HiFi is very personal and I won't buy stuff I can't hear first.

You might want to go to an online site like this to see if you can get a service manual and schematics:

http://www.electronicsrepair.net/service_manual.html

Then there's the SAMS manuals, been around for a long time and are the best known:

https://www.samswebsite.com/

Most of the troubleshooting for these can be done with a digital VOM, just trace the circuits and take voltage readings at the test/meter points to narrow in on the problem area.

You might want to go to an online site like this to see if you can get a service manual and schematics:

http://www.electronicsrepair.net/service_manual.html

Then there's the SAMS manuals, been around for a long time and are the best known:

https://www.samswebsite.com/

Most of the troubleshooting for these can be done with a digital VOM, just trace the circuits and take voltage readings at the test/meter points to narrow in on the problem area.
Struck out on both of those sites. There is another site that comes up but the manual for the FR980 is a 21st century model, not the 20th century antique I have.

I can use a VOM, and as far as I can tell, their circuit boards are only single layer, so they should be pretty easy to chase if I knew where to start. I just don't see/smell any fire.

And regarding HIFI stores, I guess there was not enough people willing to pay the premium prices. That and Best Buy, Silo(gone), Circuit City(gone). Maybe the stores should have gotten together and asked for a government bail out.

Back