Just another noob..

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

61cruser

Reaction score
My Car
None right now.
Hello,

Just another new member. I don't currently have a Mustang, but I want one. I am a retired USAF cat still serving as a contractor in Afghanistan. I have a little time at the end of the work day to surf what kind of toy I want when I come back to the real world. I have surfed all kinds of old car sites for months. I have narrowed it down to a 71-73 Mustang coupe. A lot of things are involved in that decision, to include prices and parts availability. Mostly, I think it's a nice looking car with plenty of muscle potential. I have had a few hot rods in my day. I bought a '57 Belair with lawn mowing money when I was 15 yrs old. Had a '73 'Cuda in high school, and a '68 Chevelle after that. I even owned a '76 Mustang II Cobra II back in the "80s. It was a 302 4-speed that I built up. It was fast and ugly. Enter military service, no play toys for the last 28 yrs. So now I am looking at available mustangs online. I will use it as a daily cruiser, maybe some traveling, and would like to be able to auto-cross a little bit just for fun. I would like to find a unit with a good body to start with, nothing collectible. There would be suspension and brake mods, interior upgrades, and a modern drive train. Sounds like a million other wish lists, I'm sure. Since I've been out of the mechanical stuff for a while, I will be spending even more long hours researching vendors, parts, and advice from people with experience. I'm glad I found this site and will explore every page of it in due time. Good luck to everyone with their current projects.

Dennis[/size][/font]

Welcome to the site from Virginia! First, thanks to your service to our country in the AF and as a contractor. Be safe over there.

Good luck with your search for a 71/73 Mustang. This is a great site for info and I'm sure you will get plenty of great info to help you out.

After 28 years, I think you deserve to play.

Welcome aboard from Wisconsin and thank you for service. I love the 73 Cuda's they are my favorite year, there's something about those round tail lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Just another new member. I don't currently have a Mustang, but I want one. I am a retired USAF cat still serving as a contractor in Afghanistan. I have a little time at the end of the work day to surf what kind of toy I want when I come back to the real world. I have surfed all kinds of old car sites for months. I have narrowed it down to a 71-73 Mustang coupe. A lot of things are involved in that decision, to include prices and parts availability. Mostly, I think it's a nice looking car with plenty of muscle potential. I have had a few hot rods in my day. I bought a '57 Belair with lawn mowing money when I was 15 yrs old. Had a '73 'Cuda in high school, and a '68 Chevelle after that. I even owned a '76 Mustang II Cobra II back in the "80s. It was a 302 4-speed that I built up. It was fast and ugly. Enter military service, no play toys for the last 28 yrs. So now I am looking at available mustangs online. I will use it as a daily cruiser, maybe some traveling, and would like to be able to auto-cross a little bit just for fun. I would like to find a unit with a good body to start with, nothing collectible. There would be suspension and brake mods, interior upgrades, and a modern drive train. Sounds like a million other wish lists, I'm sure. Since I've been out of the mechanical stuff for a while, I will be spending even more long hours researching vendors, parts, and advice from people with experience. I'm glad I found this site and will explore every page of it in due time. Good luck to everyone with their current projects.

Dennis[/size][/font]
Welcome you Noob!! JK;)

I like them cobra ii's...I would take one in a heart beat for the right price of course..lol..I got a little 74 mustang 2 mach 1 im kinda working on too.....Too many projects thou :( lol..I like those years of cuda's "drools" Good lookin rides...Its too bad the price has shot out of range on them for the most part.....71-73 mustang coupes are still cheap "for the most part" And great for modding and making into your own....Feel free to ask any questions...And we will try not to confuse you too much :)

Welcome and Good luck!

::welcome:: Dennis from Luxembourg / Europe. I hope you find the car you're looking for. I am glad that you focussed on the 71-73 Mustangs. Most people would not do that because they are too prejudiced.

Rest assured that they can be turned into beasts with minor modification and they handle better than most cars of the era.

Welcome - southern Arizona here too.

When do you hope to get back? There have been a couple of super clean coupes sell really reasonably in the last year here in the area. You should be able to find a great car.

::welcome:: from Lynnwood, WA. Thank you for your service and you be safe out there!

Awesome that you want to autocross a 71-73. I'm looking into doing the same for my own Mach 1. Wishing you the best of luck on your future find.

Rich

Hello,

Dennis[/size][/font]
Mike, Thought I posted reply but did not go to bottom of page tp post so in the case, check my under cpy cat if I would do it over, I would either get 71 grande, drop v6 in it w/5 speed, power front discs, heavy suspension w/rear roll bar too, a must A/Cw/mod stereo...navigation system, better a convertible add roll bar, get mbrshp w/AACA and MCA, if you arn't a good mechani , get one, go to the auctions and get one in decent shape/moderate price for your resto-mod purpose. On my profile or msc images, find map of N & S America, Panamericana Race, a 49 day race, ticket not cheap but aq once in a life time event "$6,000 last year", also throw in a bi-turbo of course a Holley EFI and 18" wheels if possible a Goodrich G-..tire or as the late Carroll Shelby recommends best ius the current Firestone 500's, Magnum 500 wheelw now available through Year One Mustang parts64-73 models). Hope you have za lot of back pay coming, will work good along for operating capitol as I hear when ets service, can go to school ie auto mechanics to fix your ride up for free, w/possibly 2 years unemployment w/out even periodically going out look for work, let GI Bill take catre of the college bill. Where you go back to your VA Rep can coordinate it all. Good Luck. Also on my line note headache if you acquire too cheaply as I did. Mike

Welcome to the site from west Michigan. Did anyone say we REALLY appreciate our veterans around here?!

As for the autocrossing... I ran a couple last year and uncovered what I think are the major deficiencies, at least with my car. The sway bars are too small, the shocks are too soft and the steering is too slow. I am going with 1-1/8" front and 3/4" rear sway bars with stock springs since it is primarily a road car, KYB gas adjust shocks (may not be the best choice but they fit my budget) subframe connectors and a mid 90's grand cherokee steering box.

Note the "slight" amount of body roll.

DSCN2956.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back