Which Engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71stang

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
I am looking at an engine for the 71, read that more after market preformance parts are available for the 351 Windsor than the 351 Cleveland, just for the heck of it I would like yall's opinion, which engine should I stick in the 71?

Very good question...

I believe it requires a lot more information as to what you want to do. If you are looking at readily availability of parts at a lower price, I would think the Windsor would win out.

I am not so sure that a "full bore" Windsor could match a "full bore" Cleveland for ALL applications but the Cleveland would probably cost much more on the CURRENT market.

BT

This depends what you want to do. If you want to build a screaming motor, either one will work depending on your budget. Deep pockets--go Cleveland. Tighter budget--go Windsor. Looking to just have a solid motor with more of an original flavor for the car--Cleveland.

This depends what you want to do. If you want to build a screaming motor, either one will work depending on your budget. Deep pockets--go Cleveland. Tighter budget--go Windsor. Looking to just have a solid motor with more of an original flavor for the car--Cleveland.
Very well put Dave. Mike

Hello.. I had a 1970 Hardtop with a 351 winsor and i can tell you, as strandard mine was, it was a beautiful engine... it had a lot of... nerv.... you felt the power was right!! i know it is cheaper that the Cleaveland to work... and it´s a small block also...

Here inmy country we dont know much about options of engines, because there are not much to choose, but a friend of mine had a 1970 mach 1 with a 351 C and mis winsor was, or sounded like a more modern engine...

Don´t know about true power but we were very close when we play with our cars... Both standard...

Maybe the Cleaveland has more to offer when you start to modify it, cause it´s bigger... dont really know.

What i can tell you is there is not much difference between both 351 when you drive them...

For a small block engine i vote for 351 W... if you want a big block and 351 C is the cheapest, great... I always dream with a 429 :p

I recently made this choice for our 72, and chose the original Windsor. I also had a Cleveland (2V) from our donor, but chose the Windsor simply because of the number of them produced and related availability of parts. As cobra3073 said, and many others here have as well...it all depends on your goals for the car. Once you make those decisions, the other ones become easier.

But it's nice to know that picking between the Windsor and Cleveland is a decision you really can't get wrong.

Mark

I agree with THAT, Roy!

I have nearly $10,000 in my 545 and have not even had the block machined (boring, oiling modifications, screw-in freeze plugs). I could have gotten the complete crate (with a little less HP and Torque) for a couple of grands less.

I have come to believe its REALLY hard to beat the "crates" unless you are doing EVERYTHING yourself and have a very good core.

BT

They have came along way. Even with doing everything yourself these days its still hard to beat them. I mean build sheets, dyno results, blueprints etc...

And no BUSTED knuckles or cleaning of parts.

I vote for the Legendary 351 Cleveland. 71-73 Mustangs never had 351 windsors. There are no shortage of speed parts for the Cleveland. My garage is full of them. And they are not any more expensive.

There are many advantages to the cleveland, like you dont have to buy aluminum heads to make them scream, especially the 4V heads. You will have something more unique, unlike the oceans of windsors everywhere you look. You will have an engine that was designed by Ford to race and beat the Big Blocks in Drag Racing and in Nascar, instead of a truck engine. You will have a distinct sound that you get with the splayed valve arrangement, and the much larger ports.

cleavelandparts004-1.jpg

Can you tell I am a Cleveland fan

I am for the Cleavland also because it is original to the car and as stated by jorgem2 it is unique and also because they were only made for 4 years mainly in the 71/73 mustangs but also the 1970.{And it will look 10 times better under that huge hood:D}

Thanks for the response, Im wanting a motor for casual cruising nites butt still want the power to show off if you know what I mean and definitely on some what of budget that don't cost me divorce, humm, might could afford more for the car if I didn't have so much woman stuff to buy!

Another question, the 351 Cleveland was produced from 69-74 right, how come I see so many different year model trucks and cars for sale that claim they have the 351 Cleveland?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok screw it, get the best of both worlds of the two motors. build a CLEVOR!!! 351w block and have the great oiling system it has, and top it off with the 351c heads for the huge ports it has.

there we have it, 351CLEVOR!!!! (there is still a company that manufactures the intake manifold for this)

For 71-3 Mustangs...

All 351's 2 or 4 V's were Clevelands.

Back