Rear defroster knob replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
351 Cleveland
PS, PB, A/C, rear defrost
I've posted several questions about the rear defroster switch here and received some great advice. Don suggested replacing the knob with one from a convertible top switch. It can be done. I posted a video on YouTube with the details.

Thanks to Don and 7173mustangs. Don gets a shout out at the end.

I would recommend you check the electrical continuity of the switch before you install it in the dash. Other than that, good job! I use a small jeweler's screwdriver every day in my harness refurbishment business: they are great for releasing pins from various connectors.

The continuity was fine. I checked before and after the knob replacement. I actually bought a replacement switch on e-bay and installed it (checked before installation). Then I fixed the old one. Now I have a spare - at well over 6 foot, the chances of my knee breaking the replacement switch knob are fairly high!

I was going to do this very same thing, but it looks like the 'lines' on my rear glass is probably too fargone to salvage... so I'll probably just put a nice low-profile toggle or rocker switch in there for some driving lights or something.

I remember putting a toggle switch in pretty much the same location on my '82 Mustang, and snapped off the handle as well brushing my leg against it getting out of the car one day. It's no wonder these things take so much abuse. Eventually swapped it out with a rocker switch, and never had a problem again.

All,

Another possible source for the knobs would be from the 1971-73 Cougar XR-7 cars. I have the three switch device that has the same toggle knobs. I will need to look at what I have since viewing this video.

mustang7173

I've posted several questions about the rear defroster switch here and received some great advice. Don suggested replacing the knob with one from a convertible top switch. It can be done. I posted a video on YouTube with the details.

Thanks to Don and 7173mustangs. Don gets a shout out at the end.

Gotta appreciate somone taking the time to do a video all the way from start to finish. Very cool. Thanks!

Thanks for the shout out

This is one of the few video's that actually shows how it do it - start to finish NICE JOB

Back