shorty header question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 mach 1 4bb swapped Q code
89 cummins swapped 4x4 f350
96 f350 dually stock
I am going to lower my mustang in the future by about 1 or 2 inches and my old long tubes had gotten beat on by the ground at stock ride hight so I was wondering if anyone has a solution to my problem

It might help to know what "351" engine you want shortys for. 351c with 4v heads, 351-2v heads, or 351w?

There are different headers for all 3.

I have the exact same problem.

I just Googled "351 Cleveland 4v shortie headers". I found another forum where someone posted the same question (for the same reason). A lot of people replied that they use Sanderson shortie headers "they are the best". Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Here is their description:

The FC4 is a Ford Cleveland/Midland blockhugger header set for 1969-73 Ford Mustang and many other cars and trucks. The FC4 is a very compact design that enables Cleveland engine swaps into a variety of street rods, classic trucks, and customs ... while still working in many 351C factory-equipped Ford cars and trucks.

INSTALL NOTES:

The FC4 header features flanges for four barrel cylinder heads. If you are using two barrel cylinder heads you must also purchase our copper adapter plates, part #2BBLFC. (link below)

Comes with all hardware necessary for installation.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Engine : Ford Cleveland/Midland (351C/M-400M)

Primary Tube Diameter : 1-7/8"

Collector Diameter : 3"

Weight : 16 LBS / 7.26 KGS

FEATURES:

16-Gauge Primary and Collector Tube Thickness

3/8" Thick Flange

Patented Flange Design Requires NO Gaskets

Tightest Fitting Header Available Anywhere!

Made in the USA

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 351C-4v and have also been looking at shortys, but open to long tubes if they don't hang low (driveway issues). Mine also has pwr steering and a clutch cable, which may have fitment problems with some headers.

I hear mixed reviews on shortys, as to whether you actually see much power gain from shortys over the stock 4v manifolds. As for long tube, everybody seems to say there is good power gain (and power is what I'm after, not just noise). I've been looking around alot and think Sanderson is the ONLY company that makes shorty headers for a 351c-4v. Anybody have a review on Sanderson FC4??

As for long tube, I have heard that fordpowertrain (FPA) and dougsheaders have good ground clearance and fit 351C-4v with auto trans (not sure about clutch or PS fitment issues). Not sure how much ground clearance either one has though.

But i'm looking for reviews on those also.

Nobody seems to make a mid-length or tri-y headers for 351C-4v. The only header choices are the Sandersons FC4 (which almost seen too short to have any power benefit) or longtubes. Did I miss any?

Quality is a big issue with headers (you don't want cheepo headers), all 3 seem to be high quality.

mid-lengths will be fine from FPA!
Olie,

Not sure where you are looking, but FPAs website only shows 4-tube long tube headers for a 351C-4v. They have some nice looking midlength shortys for the big block but not the "C".

I have always slammed my Mustangs and this one is no different. 3" in the front and 4" in the back. As a result, I have had a few different brands of headers and have seen many others over the years building Mustangs and doing custom exhaust.

In my experience, Hedman makes the best header for tucking up underneath close to the frame. Performance wise, all headers are the same, although manufacturing varies and quality of the product varies too. But as far as ground clearance goes, Hedman has it by far. Made in Mexico now, so the material is ok, as is the workmanship, but not as nice as say Sanderson.

However, they tuck way underneath, so much so that you will need to add some extra supports to your speedo cable so it doesn't get burned.

Good luck on your quest for clearance.

Back