My 408 build. ITS ALIVE!!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys, Just figured I would give you a heads up on how my 408 build is going and give a rundown on some of the parts I have ordered. Well everyone probably knows all about my other motor that dropped a valve at the end of summer and destroyed it. If not heres the thread for some nice reading :D http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-bad-day-catastrophic-engine-failure-updated-pics-of-the-carnage

Any how the plan is to build a 408 Cleveland stroker with aluminum AFD 4v heads. I found a good standard block on craigslist locally for a steal of $75. Its at the machine shop now and has been gone all through and is awaiting the rest of the parts. For the rotating assembly I went with a Scat 408 kit thats balanced and includes the damper and flexplate.

a17q8h.jpg

I got it ordered and now just waiting for SCAT to finish it up. Just a heads up alot of these companies are running 6-8 weeks behind on rotating assemblies. Just that time of year i guessl. Heres the link for the specs. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sca-1-94270be/media/images/make/ford

For the heads i went with AFD4VS aluminum heads. I have done a good bit of research and these seem to be very good heads for the money. Roy is running a set on his car and seems to like them too. I just ordered the heads today and should have them in about 10 days.

2wdsxt3.jpg

20h9fso.jpg

axshx.jpg

Heres some info on the heads. http://www.ebay.com/itm/boss-302-351c-351-cleveland-Air-Flow-Dynamics-heads-complete-AFD-Ford-smallblock-/170977461851?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27cf0d065b

For the intake I am going to run an Edelbrock Torker II. The guy Im buying the heads off of reconmended this intake and it seems like it will work nicely for me. I ordered it the other day and should be here anytime.

1zxbga1.jpg

Heres a link to the intake info. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2760/overview/make/ford

I am going to be running my Harland Sharp Roller rockers from my other motor since they are a quality part and were not damaged at all.

166dkyp.jpg

Heres a link to the info for the rockers. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/csp-s4005/overview/make/ford

For the headers I will be able to reuse my Hedman cermaic coated headers again. The AFD heads actually have a 2V exhaust design and will work well with my headers.

ehhg7n.jpg

Heres a link to the info for the headers. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-88226/overview/make/ford/model/mustang

As far as a cam choice goes I am still not sure what cam we will run yet. My engine builder is going to talk with the guy that sells the AFD heads and collaborate with him to come up with a good cam spec. It will probably be a Comp cam with hydraulic roller lifters. And as far as the carb goes I also have to order a new one because my holley 750dp will not be enough to feed this beast! :D So once the engine builder tells me what cfm I will need to run I will start shopping around for a new carb.

Thats all I have so far. But im sure I will have more to come. Cant wait till spring to get this monster on the road again!!!

Thanks for reading.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
CALL comp cams and talk to them. They will grind you whatever you need to meet what you want to do. But have all your info in hand before calling.

You need to decide on a gear,rpm. tranny, stall if auto. etc... and be honest about what you want to do with it. Turn it 8/10000 or 2000 rpm all day.

CALL comp cams and talk to them. They will grind you whatever you need to meet what you want to do. But have all your info in hand before calling.

You need to decide on a gear,rpm. tranny, stall if auto. etc... and be honest about what you want to do with it. Turn it 8/10000 or 2000 rpm all day.
Thanks Roy i will do that. I will see what these guys suggest then call comp and see what they think. The gears and tranny are already done and i wont be changeing them anytime soon. Gears are 3.73 posi, c4 trans with 3000 stall converter and custom bowler valvebody. I am not going to baby this motor but dont need to turn 8000rpm all day either probably in the 6-7000 range. my old motor cruised nice at 55-60 at about 3000 rpm and as soon as you touched the throttle you were in the power. Cant wait to see what this thing will do.

Thanks Roy i will do that. I will see what these guys suggest then call comp and see what they think. The gears and tranny are already done and i wont be changeing them anytime soon. Gears are 3.73 posi, c4 trans with 3000 stall converter and custom bowler valvebody. I am not going to baby this motor but dont need to turn 8000rpm all day either probably in the 6-7000 range. my old motor cruised nice at 55-60 at about 3000 rpm and as soon as you touched the throttle you were in the power. Cant wait to see what this thing will do.
Like I said they will grind you whatever you need for not much more than an off the shelf box cam. I still have my rev limiter at approx 6400rpm and at that point it shows no sign of running out of juice

Got some parts in today for the motor build!!! I came home today and a big box was sitting in front of the garage. Finally got my stroker kit from SCAT!! Took them almost 6 weeks to get it here! But I have it now and its heading to the machine shop tomorrow. The heads are suppose to be here in less than a week. Cant wait to get this thing done!!!!!

2s162b6.jpg

While occasional higher than is prudent piston speeds can be survived if good parts and accurate clearances are used, piston speeds in the 4000-4500 range are prudent for our types of engines. This link is to a calculator you can use to calculate piston speed. http://www.wallaceracing.com/piston-speed-velocity.php You are going to love the 408C! Chuck

While occasional higher than is prudent piston speeds can be survived if good parts and accurate clearances are used, piston speeds in the 4000-4500 range are prudent for our types of engines. This link is to a calculator you can use to calculate piston speed. http://www.wallaceracing.com/piston-speed-velocity.php You are going to love the 408C! Chuck
The kit came with Icon forged pistons and king bearings all good components. So i think it will be a stout motor. Cant wait. The AFD4V heads came into the vendor today. Im gonna get him my cam specs so he can assemble the heads and i will be one more step closer. GOODTIMES GOODTIMES!!!! And all the money I have spent for this motor has come from side work i've been doing in the garage welding and a little painting. Havent had to take a dime out of my savings yet. And i shouldnt have to. That makes it all the more better, not having to hear the wife complain!! :D

My wife called and said 2 Big packages came for me today!!! Sounds like my AFD heads have arrived!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D dancebanana

Cant wait to get home and check them out. I will post up some pics this weekend!!!!

My heads came in!!!! They are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! These things are very high quality. All the runners and bowls are blended perfect!! Damn I cant wait to get these to the machine shop. Wont be too long now and I will have that thing up and running again. Drop the rest of my parts off Monday at machine shop and let him go to town on this build! Heres a few pics of the new heads.

ngx56b.jpg

5mzw9d.jpg

5yapkw.jpg

Back