351w- like/dislike?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I am just curious. When it comes to the 351w or Windsor based strokers, what do you think of them? I'm not trying to start a Cleveland vs Windsor debate, but what do you think of these motors? It seems like most people don't want them in their '71-73's because they didn't come in those cars. Is it just a purist thing?

2v W engines and 2v C engines both came in 71 mustangs. It was the luck of the draw and there was nothing that distinguished which engine the car received. It was an H code car either way.

I like and have owned them both. The C engine is higher revving and the W makes more torque if I recall correctly.

The bore/stroke is the same. Some differences in bearing sizes. The heads/valves are the big difference. Clevelands had canted valves, bigger valves and bigger ports. They breath better.

There is tons of aftermarket support for the windsor. Some really nice heads available and lots of go fast parts.

A Windsor is a potential candidate for my '71.

I have a late, roller-ready 68K-ish shortblock that a lot of my squirreled away 5.0 stuff will fit (GT40X alloy heads, several roller cams, lifters, timing sets, roller rockers, stud girdle, etc.).

It would be a low budget grenade build for sure.

Headers alone for the "other" potential 460 install will be about double the cost of what will be in the Windsor, installed and running... with either an AOD or T5 behind it (that I can't do with the 460)...

Yeah, the cool factor wouldn't be nearly as high, but driveability and gas mileage would be...

Decisions, decisions.

I currently have a 351w powered car that is warmed up nicely with usual go fast goodies {comp 280 cam/ported D00E heads/stealth intake/ 4 barrel carb/ headers/ yada yada} and a stock 351c 2v in my 73 with headman longtubes and dual exhaust. The cleveland sounds way better, looks cooler and just feels stronger, the windsor revs out faster though but I'm sure it because of the cam. If I had to give up one of my engines it would be the Windsor without a second thought.

A Windsor is a potential candidate for my '71.

I have a late, roller-ready 68K-ish shortblock that a lot of my squirreled away 5.0 stuff will fit (GT40X alloy heads, several roller cams, lifters, timing sets, roller rockers, stud girdle, etc.).

It would be a low budget grenade build for sure.

Headers alone for the "other" potential 460 install will be about double the cost of what will be in the Windsor, installed and running... with either an AOD or T5 behind it (that I can't do with the 460)...

Yeah, the cool factor wouldn't be nearly as high, but driveability and gas mileage would be...

Decisions, decisions.
Well, with a few extra dollars here and there you can have an awesome Windsor. Stroker internals cost almost as much as "non-stroker" internals. After that, you have the option of carb, fuel injection and bulletproof transmissions. I have a built 393w and I love it. One thing I have learned about the Windsor is that heads are key.

Last edited by a moderator:
2v W engines and 2v C engines both came in 71 mustangs. It was the luck of the draw and there was nothing that distinguished which engine the car received. It was an H code car either way.

Are you sure? I've never heard of or seen a 351W in any 71. In 1970 model year they changed to 351Cs so 351Ws can be found in them.

I"ve had both versions over the years,each was a good engine.I just like the way the C sounds & seemed to pull better.

Are you sure? I've never heard of or seen a 351W in any 71. In 1970 model year they changed to 351Cs so 351Ws can be found in them.
I agree

In 1971 the Mach 1 started with a base engine of the 302ci based Windsor motor, with a 2 barrel carburetor, followed by four optional 351 Cleveland engines - the 2-V, 4-V, the C.J.(Cobra Jet) and H.O.(BOSS 351). The H.O was canceled after mid-year 1971, and shortly thereafter the low-compression 351 'Cobra Jet' became available. At the top were two 429ci options, the CJ (Cobra Jet) & SCJ (Super Cobra Jet). Mach 1s, as well as all other Mustang models (except the BOSS 351) were available with the optional CJ and SCJ motors. The SCJ came with a drag pack V or W code rear gears, oil cooler and a different rotating assembly. 429 Super Cobra Jet engines used 780cfm Holley 4-barrel carburetors, while the Cobra Jet engines utilized GM-sourced Rochester Quadra-Jets

I'm convinced..

I love my Windsor. It's not stroked, but the next one will be. To me it's a choice of classic brute vs. tons of options.

I have seen factory 351W's in a few 71's. I almost bought a 71 coupe that had one way back in 1988. As for parts availability the Windsor wins hands down. I stuffed a 351W in my 73 is because I wanted a factory roller cam and 351c.i, plus 351W's are a dime a dozen. I bought a used 5.8 out of a 97 f250 and stuffed it in my 73. I did have to buy new headers, intake, distributor and power steering mount, but that was it. I used the rest of the stuff off my old 302, timing cover, alternator mount, motor mounts, etc...If i did a 351C I would of had to first find a descent engine that either ran or a builder. Then I would of had to find all the accesories, exhaust, intake, distributor, etc.... This is why I went with a 351W, they are easy to find parts are cheap and they can be made to run. If I blow this one up I can pick another one up for $500 that runs good. Now try doing that with a Cleveland,lol.

BTW: I like both engines, I am not trying to down the 351C. I have both, I have a Q Code Cougar Convertible and my 351W 73 Mustang. It is just more economical for me to run a 351W's than 351C 's these days.

I am certain. The 351C 2v was predominant but a few 351w engines made it into the 71 mustangs.

I am certain. The 351C 2v was predominant but a few 351w engines made it into the 71 mustangs.
Heard the same..But never seen it for my own eyes.

351 w is a good motor..Apples and Oranges i think....But if your going for a raceish motor...I would build a cleveland my self. "bit bias" 4v cleveland with stock bore and stock heads is not hard to get past 400 hp...Not many motors can make that claim...the cleveland has a stronger block..better webbing...Is good all the way up too the 650hp too 700 range...I my self enjoy that bigger buffer on a performance engine...And quite amazing for a small block...Considering a chevy big block 4th gen and before it..is only good up too 650 or 700ishhp too...before you have to worry about the block breaking.

That being said..Any motor can be built too kick ass...lol..and 351 w does have alot of go fast goodies you can buy...Alot more aftermarket.

Back