Whiskey vs Bourbon

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the difference between whiskey and bourbon?

mike
the difference escapes me -what they have in COMMON is the ability to ruin the next day if you forget when to call it a night!!::beer::

the difference escapes me -what they have in COMMON is the ability to ruin the next day if you forget when to call it a night!!::beer::

Ditto, brown liquor tends to make me heave, just the smell of Jack Daniels makes me sick....comes from some previous tendencies to over indulge. :D

Bourbon is a type of whiskey.

For a whiskey to qualify as bourbon, the law -- by international agreement -- stipulates that it must be made in the USA. It must be made from at least 51% and no more than 79% corn, and aged for at least two years. (Most bourbon is aged for four years or more.) The barrels for aging can be made of any kind of new oak, charred on the inside. Nowadays all distillers use American White Oak, because it is porous enough to help the bourbon age well, but not so porous that it will allow barrels to leak. It must be distilled at no more than 160 proof (80% alcohol by volume). Nothing can be added at bottling to enhance flavor or sweetness or alter color. The other grains used to make bourbon, though not stipulated by law, are malted barley and either rye or wheat.

Bourbon is amber colored, and a little sweeter and heavier in texture than other whiskeys. Bourbon gets it’s name from Bourbon County in Kentucky where it originated.

For a whiskey to qualify as bourbon, the law -- by international agreement -- stipulates that it must be made in the USA. It must be made from at least 51% and no more than 79% corn, and aged for at least two years. (Most bourbon is aged for four years or more.) The barrels for aging can be made of any kind of new oak, charred on the inside. Nowadays all distillers use American White Oak, because it is porous enough to help the bourbon age well, but not so porous that it will allow barrels to leak. It must be distilled at no more than 160 proof (80% alcohol by volume). Nothing can be added at bottling to enhance flavor or sweetness or alter color. The other grains used to make bourbon, though not stipulated by law, are malted barley and either rye or wheat.

Bourbon is amber colored, and a little sweeter and heavier in texture than other whiskeys. Bourbon gets it’s name from Bourbon County in Kentucky where it originated.
Is this knowledge why Don crashed on your couch,Mark must've taken a cab home ?:D

Nice job Roy, you must've been paying attention on the tour!!

I drove right by Jack Daniel's distillery earlier today. Didn't have time to stop this time. Maybe next week. Jack on the rocks is one of my favorites.

To answer the question... If I'm open carrying my 1911 I call it whiskey. If I'm conceal carrying then it's Burbon.

I had rye whiskey for the first time about a month ago, and found it to have a subtler taste than bourbon. I liked it!

Actually I never call it Bourbon. I prefer the Tennessee varieties due to my heritage.
Well now, I suppose 1 out of 2 ain't bad dancebanana::devil::

At least your choice of college teams has some orange in it :D

I used to drink Crown, but moving to this area I now patronize the locals... Midlife, glad to hear a report on the Rye... I'll have to try that sometime.

Glad to hear you made it home Don, I understand wanting to get home.

Actually I never call it Bourbon. I prefer the Tennessee varieties due to my heritage.
Well now, I suppose 1 out of 2 ain't bad dancebanana::devil::

At least your choice of college teams has some orange in it :D

Glad to hear you made it home Don, I understand wanting to get home.
Ok you got me on that one.

I'll be up there again on Monday and am thinking I should do the JD tour Monday morning. Thursday evening we can meet up.

Back