Convertable Top stops and sputters

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
The top on my 73 stops and sputters(on the way back up) when the car is running, but oddly enough it seams to work better when the motor is off. I replaces the power top motor, cylinders and lines about 10 years ago thinking this would correct the problem, but no luck. My instinct tells me that its an electrical problem, but others have said its a hydrolic fluid issue. BTW what is the best way to fill the fluid reservoir?

Only way to fill it is remove the backseat and fill from there,

I have an adapter I found at a marine store to fill outdrive oil, it makes it a very clean job, no oil mess.

What do you mean sputters?

Mine kind of stop/started. You could hear the motor stop/start. That means it was electrical. In my case I had become a little over zelous with paint. I had removed the interior and sanded/painted the floor board/seat back/etc. The ground wire for the pump didn't get a good ground on my newly painted surface.

Sputtering: air in the line. remove back seat, remove rubber stopper from pump reservoir, fill to within 1/2" from hole. cycle top up and down a few times, fill as required as the air is purged from the lines.

Stopping short: I'm thinking adjustment of the top alignment as you suggest. Mine will literally move the front pillars and windshield 1/4"+ forward once the pins contact the alignment holes if I hold the switch too the very end. ( I have the same situation with my 69 vert). You can adjust / extend the frame components (prior to top installation) so it is centered and positioned properly with the top of the windshield.

Where can I find one of these convertable top relays? West Coast Classic Cougars has them, but are kind of pricey:http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/14790-Relay-/-Breaker-Power-Window-/-Convertible-Top-Repro-1969-1973-Mercury-Cougar.html

If you are referring to the circuit breaker (located in engine compartment at the solenoid) they run about $10 at most vendors.

DSCN1674.JPG

Back