RPM counter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Ford Mustang Mach 1 351 CJ all matching numbers, under restoration.
73 Ford Mustang Sprint from Mexico.
Hello guys,

I would like to install a rpm counter in place of the oil alt and brake one.

First I need the counter itself, which will not be easy to find. But then, is anyone did this update before?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

DSCN9327.JPG

Also, where can I find some bulbs? Cause the one there are now are not enough, I mean I see almost nothing by night.

THX.

Hello Manu!

Im Damián from Uruguay, in south america.. i noticed that you´re from France so we both are far far away from USA, where all the good things happens for our car!! jee

Your plan is just replace the dumb lights "instrument" for a RPM counter??... I think that is just too complicated to accomplish being so far from anything else you need on that conversion...

If i were you i´d talk to Don (OMS) and see if he has a mach 1 complete instrument panel for you... You´ll find 100 times better quality using and original part other than a new repro part... Besides Don has a lot of knowledge tyo share.. he will tell you what else you might need to install the instrument panel so you have no surprices in that way...

Hope this helps!!

Thanks all of you. Looks like I found a complete cluster, from Belgium, from a Mach1. I want to do this way, cause I don't want to add an extra tachometr, fixed somewhere around the panel, I prefere add something original, that's my point of view.

Don is on this site?

Damian, you are right " where all the good things happens for our car!!". Cost a lot of money for the shipping and the custums, but we have no choice, when I buy an item, 100$, it's simple, at the end, when arrive at home, the final price is 200$, simply the double!!!

But we like our poney, so we spend with closed eyes, specially when driving in the middle of those fade french cars :)

Thanks all of you. Looks like I found a complete cluster, from Belgium, from a Mach1. I want to do this way, cause I don't want to add an extra tachometr, fixed somewhere around the panel, I prefere add something original, that's my point of view.

Don is on this site?

Damian, you are right " where all the good things happens for our car!!". Cost a lot of money for the shipping and the custums, but we have no choice, when I buy an item, 100$, it's simple, at the end, when arrive at home, the final price is 200$, simply the double!!!

But we like our poney, so we spend with closed eyes, specially when driving in the middle of those fade french cars :)
I think for the stock setup, you will need an original wiring harness with the setup for tach as well.

Don is on this site?

Jeje!! it is the exact same thing over here... every part cost double for me, besides... if it is a big or heavy part... forget it... i just cant get it!! jeje

I´m glad you found an original instrument panel... But just for future things take into account this guy Don.. (the user is OMS) from Ohio Mustang Supplies... I´ve never deal with him yet but everyone in here does because he has A LOT of good used, original parts and he happens to know this cars as the palm of his hand so he becomes extra useful, especially for us being so far!!

Well... good luck with the instruments!! Keep us informed! ;)

I think I will use my cluster, and just remove the "idiot" part and replce it by the original tachometer, then I will only have to connect this tachometer I watched the movie you sent me the link, looks very easy, at the end only 3 wires, so looks not to be complicated, +, common, then somewhere to the ignition...

I saw OMS somewhere, I check this up. But for sure here is the right place for us, couldn't be in Africa :)

At the moment my car is under restoration, hope I will start the car very soon, after a few month off:)

I think I will use my cluster, and just remove the "idiot" part and replce it by the original tachometer, then I will only have to connect this tachometer I watched the movie you sent me the link, looks very easy, at the end only 3 wires, so looks not to be complicated, +, common, then somewhere to the ignition...

I saw OMS somewhere, I check this up. But for sure here is the right place for us, couldn't be in Africa :)

At the moment my car is under restoration, hope I will start the car very soon, after a few month off:)
The instrument lights are in different spots for the tachometer and warning light pods, so the printed circuits do not interchange, nor do the backs. The tachometer cluster also uses a different sized plug...

Unless you have the under dash harness, a far easier option for you would be the rocketman conversion for your warning lights.

If you just stick a factory tach in your cluster, you will have poor lighting for the tach. This is what my car has now.

Last edited by a moderator:

The instrument lights are in different spots for the tachometer and warning light pods, so the printed circuits do not interchange, nor do the backs. The tachometer cluster also uses a different sized plug...

Unless you have the under dash harness, a far easier option for you would be the rocketman conversion for your warning lights.

If you just stick a factory tach in your cluster, you will have poor lighting for the tach. This is what my car has now.
And if I change the complete cluster, and change on my speedometer, it should be ok?

I found a cluster from a Mach1 in miles, and I want to keep mine which is in kilometer.

You can put your speedometer into it, but your existing plug will not plug into it.
Oh yes of course, so looks like the best and easier option should be a tachometer from Rocketman, plug ang and play...

But what means $175.00 with your core and $225.00 without a core?

What I understand is that I need to send them my "idiot" one then they make it a tachometer.

I can convert the underdash harness to tach configuration for $175. Please note, however, that to do this correctly requires the 3 gauge cluster in the center console, and my conversion includes the wiring for it. There's a small interconnection harness to the 3 gauge cluster, and I manufacture those as well for $40. Your biggest costs will be the dash cluster itself and the center gauge console. My work comes with a 2 year guaranty, which means if you manage to burn up the harness, I'll replace it for free.

You can put your speedometer into it, but your existing plug will not plug into it.
Oh yes of course, so looks like the best and easier option should be a tachometer from Rocketman, plug ang and play...

But what means $175.00 with your core and $225.00 without a core?

What I understand is that I need to send them my "idiot" one then they make it a tachometer.
When I bought mine from Rocketman I bought the complete unit at full price; when it arrived I swapped the old core with the new, then sent back my idiot-light core and received a refund for the core from Rocketman. Considering I live in Australia, with postage time being up to 2 weeks in each direction, this means I didn't have any time where my car was missing a gauge face. No doubt my returned core has been turned into a tacho by Rocketman and sold to another customer.

Too complicated to go for an original one. Thanks Midlife, but looks like the more easier (I don't know if it's the most economic ----> item + shipping + customs) but I think I go for one from Rocketman.

Flatback72, it's plug and play, but then I saw on their movie (model M7123S: 1971-1973 Ford Mustang 8000 RPM).

There are 3 wires, was easy to connect?

Hey Manu... if this is as easy as it seems it is the way to go!... The only thing I dont love about all this thing is that it is impossible that the new gauge looks exactly the same as the speedohmeter and even the slightest difference in shape or even in "how white ar the characters" will notice...

If you dont bother that, go for it!

Back