*Updated*1973 Mach 1 Value Help...would like to buy...rare car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q Code Convertible
Hi everyone,

First post here. Trying to assess value for a car that I am interested in and my expertise is more in the 65-70 stangs having restored a couple of them.

Here are the facts...CA car with zero rust, super straight body, complete with numbers matching engine/trans. Sitting for last 20 years, original mileage at 95k. Check out all the options...NO CHANGE HERE

NEW INFO...

See pics...owner apparently started a restoration 10 years ago. Removed interior carpet, door panels, console, front seats to get ready for paint. Back seat area/fold down untouched, two panels with speaker holes. Parts still there except original am/fm radio.

I could find no evidence of rust anywhere as well as any bondo. I looked inside trunk at quarters, inside front doors, inside fenders and dont see anywhere that they were pounded out. The car has been sitting outside for a while but dry climate and the paint is flaking off in areas so will need new paint during restoration.

The entire drive train and mechanical details all look original and unmolested in any way. Original engine/trans/rear end/exhaust etc.

VIN is missing on dash and current owner bought it that way...car has CLEAN title though. Original door data plate confirms VIN, buck plate still on radiator bracket with correct info, pulled back front driver fender and VIN stamped into frame matches.

Believe car to be a 1 of 1 based on very similar optioning as Hyena429's car info. This car with all options cost >$5k when new. Owner now wants $8k firm for car.

HELP! Is this car rare enough/good enough shape to pay $8k for a car that needs a complete restoration???

Details from Marti report...

3F05Q

DOOR DATA PLATE INFORMATION

06/73 Built: June, 1973

63R Mustang Mach I Sportsroof

2B Bright Red Paint,Ford #3560-A

GW White Sebring Knit/Levant/Corinthian Vinyl Bucket Seats

9 3.25 Conventional Rear Axle

U C-6 Cruise-O-Matic Transmission

71 Los Angeles Ordering District

Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:

NASA Hood (Non-functional)

TuTone Hood Paint

Black Vinyl Roof

California Emission Testing

C-6 Cruise-O-Matic Transmission

GR78X14 Radial Ply Tires

White Sidewall Tires

Convenience Group

Rear Deck Spoiler

Power Steering

Rim Blow-Deluxe Steering Wheel

Tilt Steering Wheel...RARE?

Sport Deck Rear Seat

Console

Power Front Disc Brakes

Bumper Rub Strips

Floor Mats

Air Conditioner - Selectaire

Rear Window Electric Defrost...RARE?

AM/FM Stereo Radio

Intermittent Windshield Wipers

Interior Décor Group

Deluxe Seat Belts

Tinted Glass Complete

Power Side Windows...RARE?

Forged Aluminum Wheels...RARE?

73 ext.jpg

73 back.jpg

73 eng.jpg

73 interior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - sounds like it has every option ever made in 1973. What about the condition of the car? Is it in running condition and if so what kind of work is required? Is the interior in good condition? Are all of the options in place and still working? Any speaker holes cut into the interior panels? Does it come with any original paperwork?

Hi Steve...car does not run but told only because has been sitting for 20 years....believe it is mechanically sound. Needs new interior, speaker holes in rear panel near trunk. No way to test interior working since no battery hooked up. Would need some restoration but all there. Any thoughts on value/what to pay? Thanks so much.

Jeff

Wow - sounds like it has every option ever made in 1973. What about the condition of the car? Is it in running condition and if so what kind of work is required? Is the interior in good condition? Are all of the options in place and still working? Any speaker holes cut into the interior panels? Does it come with any original paperwork?

First: Post up in the introduction section so we can give you a proper greeting. Second: What are they asking for it? Third: Are all the options still on the car?

marks73,

I posted in the intro section...thank you for letting me know.

I do not have pics, a friend referred me to car and I have first shot before it gets advertised. He is asking $7500 firm.

All options seem to be there, but can't confirm if working since interior somewhat apart.

Jeff

First: Post up in the introduction section so we can give you a proper greeting. Second: What are they asking for it? Third: Are all the options still on the car?

As long as it's all there, we have members that can help rebuild of repair every part of that car. If the floors and trunk are solid, I'd jump on it.

It sounds like a desirable car. It is worth looking at for that price, the final determination will be on what you find when you see it. I paid 5500 for mine 15 years ago.

I would advise anyone to start with the nicest car that fits your budget.

It sounds like a desirable car. It is worth looking at for that price, the final determination will be on what you find when you see it. I paid 5500 for mine 15 years ago.

I would advise anyone to start with the nicest car that fits your budget.
+1 to that. Especially if you enjoy repairing them and bringing them back to life as much as we do!

Hi Steve...car does not run but told only because has been sitting for 20 years....believe it is mechanically sound. Needs new interior, speaker holes in rear panel near trunk. No way to test interior working since no battery hooked up. Would need some restoration but all there. Any thoughts on value/what to pay? Thanks so much.

Jeff

Hey Jeff - sounds like a good deal at that price. Was it sitting outside or inside for 20 years? If outside, check that cowl area for rust problems as that is not a fun job to replace. If you verify it is straight and solid and it is a car that you really like then I think $7500 is a reasonable price. Would love to see some photos. How about you post some pics when you go see it and let us have a second opinion?

$7,500 max if the paint is good and only needs interior work. Chances are pretty good the motor should be rebuilt and anything with fluids in it will have to replaced or redone. Of course picture would be really helpful.

After seeing the pictures I'd drop down to say $6K. The bottom line is buy it if you like it AND have the time and/or money to finish the car and getting it running. Unless you are buying a really RARE car or one that people will pay over $50K for a restored one (Boss, 429CJ) you usually NEVER get back what you invest in a restoration when it comes to sell unless you paid almost nothing for a car and you do most of the work yourself. Just my two cents.

My other rule of thumb is the longer a cars sits not having been started the less it is worth over time. An exception would be a car that was prepped for storage correctly in sat in a garage w/o any critters getting into it

vamach1,

Thank you for the input...the car would need paint. I am considering this car as a complete restoration project (new interior, engine/trans rebuild,paint,engine bay and undercarriage paint/detail etc). Looking for a "good" candidate car if I am going to spend this much time and say $10k to do. I can do most everything except paint.

So if I pay $7500 and put another $10k in for a show car restoration, do I have a car valued at $15k, $20k, $30k??? With all the options, this car seems like a great candidate but not that familiar with values and demand for this car when finished??

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated guys!

Jeff

$7,500 max if the paint is good and only needs interior work. Chances are pretty good the motor should be rebuilt and anything with fluids in it will have to replaced or redone. Of course picture would be really helpful.

Here are the facts...CA car with zero rust' date=' super straight body, complete with numbers matching engine/trans. Sitting for last 20 years, original mileage at 98k. Check out all the options.[/quote']
I wouldn't be so certain about there being zero rust. Give the shock towers and trunk area a good look over.

$7,500 sounds a bit on the high side for a car that's been sitting for the last 20 years. Alarm bells are going off in my head over this one - it's very unusual that a 20-year sitter winds up being as good as you describe.

$17.5k max value if fully restored.

-Kurt

I've bought several of these cars and think $7500 is a steal if it has zero rust, super straight and it's all there. Some of the interior parts are hard to find. At auction theses cars can fetch 30k or more if they are done correctly. To an average buyer maybe $20k.

PM my buddy Ponypastor on here. He restores them to a top notch condition then sells them. He may be able to share his experience.

Here are the facts...CA car with zero rust' date=' super straight body, complete with numbers matching engine/trans. Sitting for last 20 years, original mileage at 98k. Check out all the options.[/quote']
I wouldn't be so certain about there being zero rust. Give the shock towers and trunk area a good look over.

$7,500 sounds a bit on the high side for a car that's been sitting for the last 20 years. Alarm bells are going off in my head over this one - it's very unusual that a 20-year sitter winds up being as good as you describe.

$17.5k max value if fully restored.

-Kurt
I dont think shock towers are much of an issue on our cars, cowls now that another story. Not sure where you get the 17,500 number from either:huh:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1973/Ford/Mustang-Mach-1/2-Door-Fastback/Values

Sounds within price.

It is hard for some not so blessed to have owned southern California or Arizona cars to believe but yes they can be absolutely rust free. What a jump on a project.

Q code, complete car, well optioned ..

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

That is an impressive set of options. Not to be a broken record, but if the motor turns and there isn't too much rust then I'd think its a great deal.

Rust Rust Rust Make sure it's not rusted. It sounds a little high but depends on over all condition. Was it stored inside? Under the battery will be rusted but other than that if it's rust free and un molested I say buy it.

Where can I get a show car restoration for $10K? I think that estimate is low for what you are describing. I'd budget at least 5K for paint if you want it to be a show car. You could spend the rest on the engine by itself;)

Greg

Back