EFI?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I was just wondering if anyone has (or has considered) going to EFI. If so, we're you looking at a factory style setup lije that of the '90-93 mustang or something more like the Mass-Flo EFI?

With the Power Pro if one has an AOD will it still work with that setup?

Before I got the Edelbrock carb (great carb, very reliable and no leake for 5 years now),

I was thinking about a throttle body setup like:affordable-fuel-injection.com

It's reasonably priced, much easier to install than port injection and retains that stock carb look. It's design based on the GM TBI, but it will fit any 4 barrel carb intake. I had that setup on my 1989 Blazer and it ran great. If your looking for ultimate racing performance, you might look at port inj. But for a street 351C, and at reasonable price, it's hard to beat.

I am in the process of installing EFI in my setup. I looked at the FAST EZ EFI and the MSD Atomic EFI. I finally decided and purchased the MSD one because it can also control the ignition timing via the built in computer. I am using all MSD components, EFI system, their billit distributor and 6AL ignition box. Good reviews on both and a fairly easy setup as far as I can tell. Only when I light it off will I be able to tell if this was the right choice.

No info for the 351C guys......but For a 302 or 351W based motor the best way to go is 89-93 mustang EEC-IV harness and processor. I collected a few harnesses over the years so I can do the conversion when I build my new motor. Painless and even Ford RACING sell complete harnesses. The preferable processor is the A9L if you can find one. Here are some sites full of info: http://midnightdsigns.com/Mustang/EFI%20Swap%20-%20Wiring.htm and http://oldfuelinjection.com/.

Last edited by a moderator:
No info for the 351C guys......but For a 302 or 351W based motor the best way to go is 89-93 mustang EEC-IV harness and processor. I collected a few harnesses over the years so I can do the conversion when I build my new motor. Painless and even Ford RACING sell complete harnesses. The preferable processor is the A9L if you can find one. Here are some sites full of info: http://midnightdsigns.com/Mustang/EFI%20Swap%20-%20Wiring.htm and http://oldfuelinjection.com/.
I actually have a brand new Ford Racing harness with a A9L computer, 90mm Accufab T-body and a Pro-M MAF. I'm planning a supercharged 408w for my '68 coupe. If the Clevrlsnd guys are interested in that type of setup, Trick Flow sells an EFI intake. I just don't know if there are any hood fitment issues. I was considering the Mass Flo setup. There aren't a ton of reviews but the ones I have seen are good. And they offer kits for big blocks as well.

I'm eventually going to go with the MSD Atomic system too. Easy, cost effective, and retains classic (if not stock) looks. Also, there is no requirement for a return gas line.
Is this kit mass air or speed density?

Mike

I am planning on EFI in the future. I would like to inject the 351c but a 5.0 conversion even including a rebuild will be less expensive than one of the add on throttle body units. I am planning on using an Explorer 5.0 It has the GT40P heads and GT40 intake. I can get a high mileage running core engine for less than $300.00.

I am planning on EFI in the future. I would like to inject the 351c but a 5.0 conversion even including a rebuild will be less expensive than one of the add on throttle body units. I am planning on using an Explorer 5.0 It has the GT40P heads and GT40 intake. I can get a high mileage running core engine for less than $300.00.
True...but I keep thinking about throttle body EFI on my 429 and I start drooling...and at this point, what's another $2500? I already blew my budget by 30%+. ETA: the MSD is about $2500, I think the FAST system is $1500.

Mike
Mass air. http://www.atomicefi.com/Features.aspx

True...but I keep thinking about throttle body EFI on my 429 and I start drooling...and at this point, what's another $2500? I already blew my budget by 30%+. ETA: the MSD is about $2500, I think the FAST system is $1500.

Mike
Mass air. http://www.atomicefi.com/Features.aspx
Edelbrock makes an efi manifold for the 429/460 if you don't want to go the throttle body route.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/ford/victor_bb.shtml

It will fit under a stock hood.

Edelbrock makes an efi manifold for the 429/460 if you don't want to go the throttle body route.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks Tommy.
I actually have that intake on my 415w I just built for my '68 coupe (big bore with the 393 stroke with a Dart Block). I have everything I need for the EFI setup. I just need the supercharger to finish it. I'm looking at the Paxton Novi 2000 with about 10-12 lbs of boost. I had a smog legal 393w with smaller heads, smaller cam and only 6lbs of boost with a Vortech S-trim that made over 500RWHP at less than 5500RPM. With 10lbs of boost, it made 560hp. This new engine should get me in the 600RWHP range.

photo.JPG

I actually have that intake on my 415w I just built for my '68 coupe (big bore with the 393 stroke with a Dart Block). I have everything I need for the EFI setup. I just need the supercharger to finish it. if I ever figure out how to post pictures, I'll put a pic up.
From our FAQ section

How to add photos to your posts?

Posting photos in your posts can be done in several ways. The easiest way is to use the NEW ATTACHMENT field at the bottom of the post editor screen. Just click BROWSE and navigate to a photo you have saved on your PC. The downside of this method is that you will eventually run out of upload space and not be able to use this method without removing some of your old uploads.

The alternative method is to host your photos online with a service like Photobucket, Imageshack or TinyPic. Our forum even offers a quick screen for TinPic that allows you to upload a photo and get the url to post in the forum without leaving this site! It is located in the forum footer bar ( ) and at the bottom of the post editor screen. No matter what service you use, what you want to do is get the url address to post here. This will look like a regular web address but will end in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif or .png. Once you copy this address from the hosting site, you can click the button in our post editor that has a mountain and sun. This opens a box where you can add the entire address. Some services like Photobucket and TinyPic allow you to copy the message board url ready to paste! It will look like something like this:

Code:

(The
spacer.png
tags are what you are looking for!)

You can just copy the address and paste it right in our post editor! That's all there is to it!

I actually have that intake on my 415w I just built for my '68 coupe (big bore with the 393 stroke with a Dart Block). I have everything I need for the EFI setup. I just need the supercharger to finish it. I'm looking at the Paxton Novi 2000 with about 10-12 lbs of boost. I had a smog legal 393w with smaller heads, smaller cam and only 6lbs of boost with a Vortech S-trim that made over 500RWHP at less than 5500RPM. With 10lbs of boost, it made 560hp. This new engine should get me in the 600RWHP range.
This is the Edelbrock EFI intake manifold for the Windsor.

This is the Edelbrock EFI intake manifold for the Windsor.
Scroll down the page.

Sorry everyone, I don't what it posted that pic like that. It's the pic a few posts back.

I'm a big fan of the GUFB Ford EEC-IV injection, having worked with it quite a bit on '89-93 5.0 Mustangs. Like Cazsper, I have a Dart block based Kenne Bell supercharged combination on my 5.0 that makes 700 hp at the crank and gets 30 mpg on the highway cruising. I would definitely set the engine up like he did if planning to inject any 335 series or SBF.

I injected the 400M (tall deck 351C) in my '79 Bronco with the Ford EEC-IV and it runs incredibly well. EDIS8 eliminates the distributor for better spark and improved water resistance (it's in a 4x4, of course). If injecting the Cleveland engine is the plan, get the adapters from Price Motorsports or the newer Trickflow pieces.

Either way, set it up for sequential (as opposed to bank) injection, EDIS8, and GUFB strategy and it'll run pretty sweet.

Back