Leaky Trunk, 72 Q Code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well window moldings don't matter much,

Water could be coming from the truck lid, the rear window the rear quarter windows or the roof drip rails could also come from the rear wheel well. When driving in the rain the wheel can kick water up and if the wheel well has pinholes or a bad seam then it can throw water into the trunk drop offs, your tail light panel could also be a source of water getting inside, check the tail light surround seals.

If there is water stains or rust from the water running down the sides of the quarters then you follow it.

You could pour water in different areas and see where it's coming from also.

Does your car have a fold down rear seat? If so stick your head back there and have someone spray water over the trunk area while you look around with a flashlight. We have done non fold down ones before but you better be with someone you really trust.:p

The best solution is stop washing the car :p

Jokes apart... i have a similar problem but water dont go into the trunk, goes on the package tray... everything is new and propperly installed...

You can check the tail lamps seals... maybe it goes frome there...

LOL.. You are right but it works.
Thats what I said earlier lol
All of my (grown) three sons are way too big to fit into the trunk. But it might be taken as a compliment to tell my wife that she could fit quite nicely into the trunk.

But then again, maybe not. Do I dare ask her?

My car, a 71 hardtop does the same thing. The rear window seals and the window opening design is just not tight enough to keep all the water out. After you wash the car, preferably by hand, not the automated car-wash. Just open the trunk and let it air dry and wipe up the excess water. Ford installed run off troughs on both sides of the trunk for that reason. Also, well Ford hoped we would trade in all our 5 year old stangs, (at that time), and buy a new one. The factory didn't know at the time that people would own and operate these cars 40 years later.

Our cars are over 40 years old, getting them completelly water tight and keeping that way in all weather conditions is a real challenge. I've tried but no matter what I've done, at times I still get a small amount of water in the trunk,(both of my sons are over 6' tall so putting them in the trunk isn't an option) some things we just have to live with or work around it if we're going to enjoy them.

I keep my trunk free of anything that absorbs water (especially carpeting) then just wipe the trunk dry of any water that gets in after a drive in a heavy rain or washing it, easiest solution I've found.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I had water getting in from the door chrome trim. I do not currently have the weatherstrip/foam between the door trim and drip rail, or between the drip rail and the upper. So that's another place to check. If yours is missing/failing like mine, water runs all the way down the inside, down the headliner or behind the sail panels to the trunk. Sealing the rear window better made it a hundred times better for me as well.

I know everyone says this is just something we deal with, but I really think working on the leaks can help prolong the life of the car. I don't do much body work and would like to keep that to a minimum.

Back