Cowl Vents

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aero3113

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Coupe
Why would someone remove the stock plastic grates on the cowl and have these covers on them? They were installed on my car and I didn't like the looks of them. I removed them and put the plastic grates back in.

c530af6ab2279161eb401d9fbf2cb96e_zpsf39fbdc6.jpg

c6e071437af5cea49d52ceefd04e0f49_zps2e8fbda3.jpg

I just looked under the dash and it is rusted out on the passenger side by the box. Is there any way I can seal this area off to the box without doing any major sergory? I keep the car in the garage and don't drive it in the rain.

ef6af43387526e35ac56aaa4d66a2a1b_zps618a5815.jpg

So what you are really saying is that I should put the plats back in....

I don't have AC does that make a difference? Do I need fresh air?
Strictly speaking, the plates won't prevent a rusted cowl from making your passenger side floorboard a swamp, but it can reduce the amount of water that will get in.

The cowl job is no fun, trust me...

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked under the dash and it is rusted out on the passenger side by the box. Is there any way I can seal this area off to the box without doing any major sergory? I keep the car in the garage and don't drive it in the rain.

ef6af43387526e35ac56aaa4d66a2a1b_zps618a5815.jpg
It depepends on how bad it actually is. Some can be repaired but in place but it is a PITA

Keep in mind the cowl is a structural member in a unibody car and our cars specifically brace the shock towers to the intersection pf the firewall and cowl. So if your cowl has significant rust then torsional loads from the front suspension will not be supported properly and in the event of a collision, you have lost some protection for both you and your car.

It takes a relatively short time to remove the glove compartment, the interior fresh air vent on the passenger side and the heater box and would be helpful in assessing the degree of damage. A mechanics camera can also be used from the topside to get a pretty good view.

I wouldn't want to patch it from underneath, but there are good welders who can.

That is no task for the weary and is very involved.

I had made some block out plates just like that for mine to get me through the rainy season until I could tear into mine.

It slowed down the leaks but didn't eliminate them and it sucked not having the fresh air anymore. There are a ton of threads on the cowl repair, a few different opinions on how to do it. But what ever method you choose, you will need a cutting wheel, welder, some sheet metal, metal working capability and patience. And patience. Did I mention patience? Also, take lots of pics before you start and as you go for reference.

I have some photos on my garage page of how mine went, if you want to check it out and I know that Q has a pretty cool instructional vid that walks you through the repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get this for sheet metal

Item #3648KA

71-73 COWL PANEL, UPPER AND LOWER

NEW ITEM never before available. Cowl panel for 71-73.

Latest posts

Back