Jacked up my shoulder last night

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible 351c 2V
Took a little spill down the stairs and really messed up my shoulder. I can't lift my upper arm in any direction. Doesn't hurt too bad if I keep it still, but move in any direction, and pain shoots through... sucks.

And I did it to my strong side... It's not easy brushing your teeth with your left hand. And putting deodorant on wasn't easy... I had to rest my right arm on the sink and then bend down (through the pain) and wiggle my torso to apply the deodorant.

I slept about 30 minutes every couple of hours... alternating heat and cold.

Going to an urgent care center as soon as they open. I didn't feel it necessary to go to the ER, though.

Putting on a shirt or even a coat is very difficult...:(

Nothing broken. Orthopedic visit in a little over 2 hours. Vicodin in the mean time... which sucks... Vicodin doesn't do squat for me except make me grumpy.... may as well take 3 ibuprophen

Might be dislocated (don't try a Mel Gibson slam your shoulder against the wall move, though).

If you think brushing your teeth with your left hand was fun, wait until you have to wipe...

Yeah... i already came across that issue. The ortho thinks i tore 3 of the four tendons on the rotator cuff. The only one not torn is the rear.... so i can wipe but it hurst

Sorry to hear about the rotator cuff. On a positive note, the repair surgery does suck but they are usually very successful! I had the surgery about 10 years ago (i was 40 at the time) and was able to continue in on active duty for a few more years doing pull ups. Make sure your doctor gets a good MRI and he discusses exactly what he is going to do during the surgery with you. I wish you the best of luck and you will be in our prayers.

See if you can find a surgeon that will perform the procedure through an arthroscope as opposed to an "open" procedure.

Minimally invasive with the same results. Then ask your surgeon how many of these has he performed. Shop around.

Where I work we use Arthrex and DePuy Mitek systems.

mike

Thanks, guys!

Most of the pain is gone now, as long as I don't try to move my upper arm much. It's a really strange injury, this rotator cuff... I can shrug my shoulder, and it doesn't hurt (actually feels good). And I can move my lower arm up and down, but not side to side. But if I try to move my upper arm in any direction other than to the back, it hurts like hell, and I just can't do it. But is someone grabs my arm and moves it for me, no problem.

Sleeping is a challenge... It's hard to find more than 2 positions that are comfortable... and I'm a restless sleeper to begin with.

Thanks, guys!

Most of the pain is gone now, as long as I don't try to move my upper arm much. It's a really strange injury, this rotator cuff... I can shrug my shoulder, and it doesn't hurt (actually feels good). And I can move my lower arm up and down, but not side to side. But if I try to move my upper arm in any direction other than to the back, it hurts like hell, and I just can't do it. But is someone grabs my arm and moves it for me, no problem.

Sleeping is a challenge... It's hard to find more than 2 positions that are comfortable... and I'm a restless sleeper to begin with.
I have my surgery tomorrow. Torn rotator cuff, torn tricep, detatched bicep, rebuild AC joint. All due Osteo Artritis in the AC joint cutting everything from the inside. Sureon says 4-6 months heal up time. I'll let you know how recovery goes.

I had that happen a few years ago when I fell on the ice in the driveway. It sounded like something broke and it hurt like crazy. I drove myself to the emergency room and my right shoulder hurt so bad that I had to shift gears with my left hand. The X-ray showed nothing and it healed by itself in a few months. Still once in a while when I pull a certain way I get a sharp pain that lasts a few minutes. I hope yours gets better.

Back