• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

What ten grand will buy you

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1, 2003 Cobra coupe
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1971-Ford-Mustang-387813.xhtml?actionMethod=find%2Fvehicle%2FvehicleSearchResults.xhtml%3AuShipController.init&conversationId=686938

Not a bad looking car for $10K. I keep telling people stay far far away from those $1k to $5K cars that need tons of work. Spend more up front and you'll save so much more in the long run. You could upgrade to a 351 or drop in 347 stroker and have a very nice cruiser.Mustang_mach1.jpg

And an example of one of those $3k cars.

ragged out.JPG

A way over priced Mach1 for $25K - if it really is a Mach1.

http://www.europeanmotors-sd.com/inventory.html

Standard interior door panels.

Red (not black) engine compartment.

No honeycomb rear panel and $10 parts store gas cap.

Super glossy red and black paint job.

funky rear spoiler - obviously not original.

non factory hood hold down releases.

Let me think - drop the price in half and perhaps it will sell.

redmach.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
just be careful, i was burned on a higher priced car. I tried that advice of staying away from the 3K cars, got screwed anyway.

Here's one on the e*ay for $16 and climbing... Wait... I think I saw some dust on this one...

I'm going to wait until I have more money than time on my hands...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-MUSTANGMACH1-1973-FORD-MUSTANG-351-V4-4-SPEED-MACH1-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb41bb2bdQQitemZ260719751869QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

[/u]

oof lot of things wrong on that car if your looking for a stocker.

It´s amazing how prices change from country to country... The Ebay 16K car, here in uruguay can easily cost 40K.. to sell it fast...

I had 30K offers for mine, as is... half done...

If i was in America i´ll try to look for a solid car, uncrashed and unrestored... If i could choose between a variety of offers i´ll try to get a "virgin" car... they usually are the best projects...

The europeanmotor.. bla bla is a typical example of what you can find in South America too... A shinny paint job and lots of "look like" parts that people here pays as it were original and made of gold :p

Recently, one of the uruguayan soccer team bought a 1966 hardtop "restored" from a "friend" of mine... Payed 35K for an invention... it was not a mustang anymore... almost nothing was original cause the car sat 20 years under a tree and it was a typical junk yard car, with plants growing inside and everything... It was repait using Argentinian Ford Falcon parts... Used parts of course.. and finally, some shinny red paint all over the car... Engine compartment, floor, trunk...

Bottom line... If you have the chance to pick a car between a variety of offers, dont buy the 500 dollar shell but either the 30K shinny car if you are not happy with the restoration itself...

If i had to vote here.. the best car to buy posted here is the yellow one for 10K... Looks good, not that expensive... perhaps no missing parts etc...

Here's one on the e*ay for $16 and climbing... Wait... I think I saw some dust on this one...

I'm going to wait until I have more money than time on my hands...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-MUSTANGMACH1-1973-FORD-MUSTANG-351-V4-4-SPEED-MACH1-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb41bb2bdQQitemZ260719751869QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

[/u]
Don't beleve half of the prices on ebay.....I check the machs every week, MOST of the deals never go through ! I see many of the same cars being relisted for non payment. When you hear "Oh you should see what that car went for on ebay" It means NOTHING unless you can confirm in fact the deal went through. The prices paid on ebay really mean nothing in the real world. jfyi

Another thing to consider is the quality of the $10,000 car...if it was well kept or well restored than it is worth it. But a $10K car that needs alot of hidden work is not worth $10K...

No offense to vamach1's point, but it's the "tons of work" that I actually enjoy about the hobby. I guess I'm a bit of a sick pup, but I get much more satisfaction from bringing something back to life than I actually do once it's done. Weird, I know.

To the point, however, if you don't enjoy the work, you're certainly better off paying someone else a fair price for their previous restoration; gassing it up and hitting the road.

No offense to vamach1's point, but it's the "tons of work" that I actually enjoy about the hobby. I guess I'm a bit of a sick pup, but I get much more satisfaction from bringing something back to life than I actually do once it's done. Weird, I know.

To the point, however, if you don't enjoy the work, you're certainly better off paying someone else a fair price for their previous restoration; gassing it up and hitting the road.
I agree with you Mike.. i enjoy the process knowing i´m restoring a piece of history somehow...

My reality is different... Uruguay has no mustang almoust at all, so here, every car is a great deal...

I agree with you Mike.. i enjoy the process knowing i´m restoring a piece of history somehow...

My reality is different... Uruguay has no mustang almost at all, so here, every car is a great deal...
We're both right. :huh: Doing your own labor can save you thousands and you get the color you want and can add on whatever you want and you know the work was done right. In the end you'll probably still spend almost as much as buying a car already done because you almost never get back what you invest. One takes a lot of time and tools and know how and friends and a little money here and a little money there. ;) The other just takes a computer and a fat wallet. :D

Mine was 4k on ebay and had 10k worth of recipts for engine, trans and body work. Got the car and engine was wasted, trans leaking, but did get 2 rear quarter panels drivers door and LF front fender. Engine now being rebuilt. Has both interior and exterior color changed but solid. Strong starting point for was I want and will do it all myself.

It´s amazing how prices change from country to country... The Ebay 16K car, here in uruguay can easily cost 40K.. to sell it fast...

I had 30K offers for mine, as is... half done...

If i was in America i´ll try to look for a solid car, uncrashed and unrestored... If i could choose between a variety of offers i´ll try to get a "virgin" car... they usually are the best projects...

The europeanmotor.. bla bla is a typical example of what you can find in South America too... A shinny paint job and lots of "look like" parts that people here pays as it were original and made of gold :p

Recently, one of the uruguayan soccer team bought a 1966 hardtop "restored" from a "friend" of mine... Payed 35K for an invention... it was not a mustang anymore... almost nothing was original cause the car sat 20 years under a tree and it was a typical junk yard car, with plants growing inside and everything... It was repait using Argentinian Ford Falcon parts... Used parts of course.. and finally, some shinny red paint all over the car... Engine compartment, floor, trunk...

Bottom line... If you have the chance to pick a car between a variety of offers, dont buy the 500 dollar shell but either the 30K shinny car if you are not happy with the restoration itself...

If i had to vote here.. the best car to buy posted here is the yellow one for 10K... Looks good, not that expensive... perhaps no missing parts etc...
i agree with you there even here in Canada the difference in price compared to the U.S. is crazy a car that would go for 5 k over there would be 10 12 k over here.

Agreed. There are 2 types of people. those that love to take a heap and make it awesome than those that like to buy awesome.

I like to build awesome.

the Uruguayan guy.. (me) doesn´t know what a HEAP means... i told you guys i´m english stupid... :p

heap (hp)

n.

1. A group of things placed or thrown, one on top of the other: a heap of dirty rags lying in the corner.

2. Informal A great deal; a lot. Often used in the plural: We have heaps of homework tonight.

3. Slang An old or run-down car. Informal a place or thing that is very old, untidy, unreliable, etc. the car was a heap

Back