Engine Bay, what color to do?...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsquier91

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach 1
351W bored .30 over, 408 stroker, probe forged flat top pistons, forged H-beam rods, main gurdle, AFR 205 heads, harland sharp rocker arms, edelbrock performer intake, 750 carb.
Hello everyone im new here to the site, i bought a mach1 back when i was 18, and now being 21 with the motor complete and the trans complete, and moving onto bodywork and etc. yes i know this project is taking me a while, but i paint cars full time for my dad so i dont get much time to work on it... anyways my motor is all black basically except the headers,heads,carb and intake. my question is do yall think i should paint my engine bay the color of my car so the motor stands out more? i know everyone says do what you want, but i would like some opinions and pictures would be great if anyone has the same setup i am doing.. thankyou!

Jake

Welcome Jake.

Yes, great question. I personally like the engine bay to be body color. Of course that is not how the 71-73 came from the factory. I have and have had Fords both ways. My son's Maverick came with the engine bay the body color and I think it looks cleaner and nicer. My Mach 1 is factory black but my hope is to paint it body color. My preference.

Start a poll. There is a way to do that here, but don't know how.

Painted mine black when we recently replaced the engine.

Then there are the wiring harnesses and hoses, etc.

I just liked black on black. The engine is Ford blue with some

cosmetic effects. The car is blue but would not look right in the

engine bay.

mike

HPIM3144.JPG

i was considering going with the body color myself thanks everyone, now its down to what body color i want to go with haha

ive always been a fan of the pepper grey on the 67 fastback, has anyone painted their 71-73 mustang that color with any black stripes on it so i could maybe get an idea of how it would look. i was thinking either that color or just a lighter silver with black stripes thanks again everyone!

I have mine all blacked out, but really like the looks of the body color match. Really looks good when you fill all the unnecessary holes in the firewall for a smoother look. Only downside is you have to be very careful when working on the motor or anything under the hood. Black is good because if you hit the motor on firewall installing, a rattle can of black can fix it all up pretty easily. When repaint mine I am definitely going body color under the hood!

Whats been said so far is true, but there's another way of looking at it.

The factory black being original and looking good is one thing, but always remember, that when you choose to color your bay, you have CUSTOMISED your Stang. That decision to customise takes on a whole new approach to the car and what the car means to you.

Also, when it comes to customising, there are a milloion variations to end up with, from mild to wild.I've seen some fantastic examples of custom work in my time, and some very average examples wher guys have tried to get that "LOOK" and have failed.

At the end of the day, it's your call.

Greg:)

yeah my car isnt going to be original what so ever, im young n just havin fun with it, so i feel like the body color in the bay would look alot nicer too.

Lighter colors, especially white, are difficult to keep clean and spotless, although they are great for showing where things are leaking.

Back