Cole's build thread.... am I missing something here

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1. Originally 2V but going 4V soon!
2wp5ezr.jpg

Bwahahahahah. So many places to start.

If yall don't mind I'll post my progress, and setbacks here looking for advice and ideas from the group.

I'm not going to make a perfect car here but I know one thing, what time I've had to tinker has been therapeutic!!

Going to concentrate on getting her running, then brakes. I have limited room in the garage so I need to be able to move her in and out especially when it comes to metal work and putting the halt on the rust monster.

I'm gonna need a bigger compressor. The 3 gallon pancake ain't gonna cut it. Looking at an 8 gallon with wheels on it from Harbor Freight. Probably a simple welder from them too. I know I have a passenger side floor pan, rear quarter (already purchased). The cowl I think I maybe just seal off and try and prevent any leakage. It's a no AC car and if and when I do I'll go aftermarket.

Yall have a great Friday night. Sip a cold one for me. Cheers!

My first welder was a Lincoln that went underwater with H. Katrina. Last year I bought the second one from Eastwood. So far it's every bit as good if not better than the mig Lincoln.

Have a great weekend yourself!

Hi Cole,

Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you there. It's always interesting to realize how much money we end up spending on tools and equipment to do resto work on our cars. All part of the fun i guess.

You mentioned the work being therapeutic; i think i'm going to need therapy of a different kind by the time i get through doing up my car!:p

Any way, keep up the good work!

Greg:)

Got my transmission lines hooked up and starting to relocate the battery to the trunk. Found some of these nifty cold shrink tubes at work that were gonna be thrown out.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ElectricalUtility/Home/Products/Catalog/~/Electrical-Utility-Products-Catalog/Splices/Low-Voltage-Splices-1-kV-or-less/3M-Cold-Shrink-Splice-Kits?N=5551778&rt=c3

246ja7b.jpg

Its really cool and and formed over the compression lug and around a bend as the cable turns back to the firewall. I'll post a pic when I get it and the ground done.

Also I pulled out the passenger seat. Sadly one of the mounts to the floor is rusted out and the other I had to cut for some reason the bolt wouldn't back out. Just kept spinning. Anyone need misc parts off a seat?

Ordered my brake stuff today.

Found these Centric stuff on Parts Geek.

25uk1s6.jpg

Got the Posi-Quiet Calipers, slotted rotors and semi metalic pads. Hardware kits front and rear, new drums and shoes, hose locks, wheel cylinders, adjusters... spent the extra few bucks and tried to get the better part. Oh master cylinder and booster too. Everything but the lines. Am I missing something? LOL No really I'm serious.

Parted with the bills to rebuild the front suspension too.

http://www.laurelmountainmustang.com/products/71-72-73-front-steering-and-suspension-kit-small-block.

Cheers dudes!

Slow but steady progress. Just piddle here and there and it sure the heck is fun.

Could not mount my battery tray cause of the rust so moved the battery leads to the trunk for now but thinking it may stay there. Used compression lugs, those nifty 3M cold shrink and loaded the lugs up with no-oxide. It may not run yet but I got me some beefy battery cables. I 3M'ed the hot lead where it passed by any part of the route where it may rub with metal.

116j7g1.jpg

She's up off all fours. :banana: I've got the tires in front for safety and some 2x8 stacked in the rear.

5bph74.jpg

Thanks to Don at Ohio Mustang for talking me into trying to restore these two rear quarter interior parts. One sanded with some touch up to go. Used QCode's tip on super glue with fiberglass mat to reinforce the screw holes. There's some rust on the metal bracket on the rear. Any ideas?

2e0jq87.jpg

Fuel coming soon!

34ysb2d.jpg

Gotta run. MA's up early and back to being Mr. Mom.:D:D

Yall have a great Sunday!

Great thread, Cole!

I bought the 8 gallon compressor on sale at Harbor Freight for $99 and it works fine for my needs. It hates extension cords, though, and won't run unless plugged directly into outlet.

Mustang therapy is good! Keep the posts coming! :)

Great thread, Cole!

I bought the 8 gallon compressor on sale at Harbor Freight for $99 and it works fine for my needs. It hates extension cords, though, and won't run unless plugged directly into outlet.

Mustang therapy is good! Keep the posts coming! :)
. Most extension cords are 16 or 14 ga. You need a 12ga wire extension cord. Anything smaller the voltage drop gets you.

Tinkering along. Have the drivers side rear torn apart and found I'm going to have to have the bearings pressed off and on. I was really hoping to do one side at a time for a star and compare when reassembling the brakes and axle. (which is a 28 spine), not sure what the difference would be with 28 or 31?? Couple quick questions.

eu3p0w.jpg

What is part number 1001 called. I'ts the thin metal gasket. Mine got a little deformed when I pulled the axle out. Seems the inner drum housing and all associated with it came out at once. From other pics on here it looks as if the axle comes out and the inner drum housing and all can stay in place. Oh well need to degrease all that stuff anyway.

9a6zj6.jpg

How do you get this inner bearing and seal out and back in. I'm thinking the old adage of don't force it use a bigger hammer may not be the best solution here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cole

I use the same tool that I put my cam bearings in with. When you remove the 4 bolts at the backing plate the entire deal comes out (after you diconnect the E brake cable.) Makes it real easy to work on, on the bench. The spline count needs to be the same as your carrier. The 31's are stronger. Sort of like fine threaded bolts are stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same tool that I put my cam bearings in with.
What's a cam bearing? LOL :s

I'm pretty sure the parts guy gave me the wrong inner bearings Mark. And the seals he gave me dont seem quite right. I need to get this one out and be able to take back to the Ken's Auto supply. I've got front and rear bearings and seals from him. I'm gonna bust the drivers front apart and see if those bearings and seals may be the wrong ones too and try and make the return for the right one's in a single trip.

I'm learning as I go. One thing I learned is when the parts guy starts laying that stuff out there.... inner bearing rear, seals, outer bearing.... I'm calling a time out and having post-it notes handy to label it all. And if all possible have the old parts when you go to get new parts. I hate returning stuff even though they are always really nice and usually wave any higher price. It's just time wasted I feel.

I use the same tool that I put my cam bearings in with.
What's a cam bearing? LOL :s

I'm pretty sure the parts guy gave me the wrong inner bearings Mark. And the seals he gave me dont seem quite right. I need to get this one out and be able to take back to the Ken's Auto supply. I've got front and rear bearings and seals from him. I'm gonna bust the drivers front apart and see if those bearings and seals may be the wrong ones too and try and make the return for the right one's in a single trip.

I'm learning as I go. One thing I learned is when the parts guy starts laying that stuff out there.... inner bearing rear, seals, outer bearing.... I'm calling a time out and having post-it notes handy to label it all. And if all possible have the old parts when you go to get new parts. I hate returning stuff even though they are always really nice and usually wave any higher price. It's just time wasted I feel.
When you pull the axle you will see the bearing and a solid ring that is the "STOP collar". It should come with the new bearing. If it didn't he may have sold you the set of carrier axle bearings. Post up a picture when you get the axle pulled.

I so appreciate the help!!!

dnkf3d.jpg

dftx7o.jpg

I know this bearing and the inner steal ring that holds it are the right size. Have someone who is going to press these off and the new ones on for me. PO scared up the ring.

Here is a pic of the spline. I guess it looks OK?

5bbvyc.jpg

I'm wondering about this inner seal/bearing. Looks like maybe some red seating compund on it. It feels like maybe just a seal. I dunno. Should it be replaced. May not even be worth the trouble. It feels just fine. The rubber is all in good shape.

2hqs80m.jpg

Thanks Bro!!!!

Back