Quarter panel patch installation - seeking tips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'71 Mustang Mach 1 M-code "Soylent Green"
'69 Plymouth Valiant 100
'68 Plymouth Satellite
Hello all,

Title pretty much says all. I'm getting ready to put one of the Goodmark quarter patches in on the '71, and wished to solicit a few tips from those who have done so.

Additionally, I am told that - in order to compensate for the valley created by the heat of the butt welds (done as tacks) - to lightly hammer each spot weld (from the back) outwards just slightly, in order to regain the proper curvature of the panel at that spot, allowing for a smoother transition when ground down. From those who have done this before - is this advisable?

Needless to say, I'll be on the lowest setting possible to achieve good penetration w/o overheating the area with my Hobart 140.

Many thanks in advance.

-Kurt

I think fangstang was refering to the putting of an offset step in the sheet method. Then butt weld.
Like this, right?

attachment.php

I'm not keen on that method, quite frankly.

-Kurt

Yes like that I've always done mine like this with next to no warping , are you worried about possible rust concern? , I've never had rust problems with this as long as you seal behind or rust proof behind

Hello all,

Title pretty much says all. I'm getting ready to put one of the Goodmark quarter patches in on the '71, and wished to solicit a few tips from those who have done so.

Additionally, I am told that - in order to compensate for the valley created by the heat of the butt welds (done as tacks) - to lightly hammer each spot weld (from the back) outwards just slightly, in order to regain the proper curvature of the panel at that spot, allowing for a smoother transition when ground down. From those who have done this before - is this advisable?

Needless to say, I'll be on the lowest setting possible to achieve good penetration w/o overheating the area with my Hobart 140.

Many thanks in advance.

-Kurt
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53534&highlight=patch

Read everything posted by MP&C. He is an artist.

Back