73 mustang gas cap not fitting over honeycomb trim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricksixtyfive

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
351c fmx trans, 2013 kona blue pearl
73 mustang gas cap not fitting over honeycomb trim, i got a standard gas cap the original one stock fit fine over the honeycomb panel, i got a new replace one from scott drake and it does not fit. it does not clear the honeycomb panel thus not screwing on right on all the way, is there something i should know ????

Well, I know the Mach 1-style flip-down caps came with the honeycomb treatment, and they have the space built-in to clear the plastic pieces. However, I do not believe any other cap treatments were offered with the honeycomb panels.

I could very well be wrong... but there's your problem if that's the case.

I have a std gas cap with honeycomb. I do know that the catalogs list lots of similar caps but for different years? I assume that they are therefore different? For example, MACS list two different part numbers for 69-70 and 71-73 that look exactly the same in the catalog. Any chance the wrong one got shipped?

the package says 71-73 vented w/o cable and it doesnt fit, i tried realigning my honeycomb panel, no luck. my older one which is the original fit just fine..im stumped. it seems the actual tabs to lock in are shorter on this new one. its scott drake so i kinda trusted it.

its the bolts that connect to the gasoline neck,that need to be changed smaller head bolt or modify the cap,the gas cap you have now is smaller than the scot drake one and its hitting the bolts on the gasoline neck .hope this helps

I got a Scott Drake pop-open style cap for 71-73 and it fits perfect on my 71 Mach1 (origional) honeycomb panel. Screws, bolts, screw cap under the pop-open, everything fit perfectly.

I assume you are trying to fit the screw-on cap for a coupe, over a Mach1 honeycomb?

As refered to above, the coupes, and non-Mach1 fastbacks did not have the honeycomb (from the factory). It would have been easy to add the honeycomb later though. Maybe they added a cap from another year, like a 1970?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the circle cutout in the 1972/73 honeycomb smaller than the '71 version?

1971 / D1ZB-63423A42-AB:

$(KGrHqNHJDEE8fKqcVw+BPMHTieu(Q~~60_12.JPG

(Yes, that's an "A" in the middle of the P/N, found it on the back of my '71s honeycomb panel)

1972+ / D2ZZ-6342342-A:

!CEwBvNQ!2k~$(KGrHqR,!i!E1KoI3y-mBNS1vB5m9Q~~_12.JPG

-Kurt

yeah the cap is hitting the plastic on the panel, but the original cap i have is a 71-73 cap and it fits fine..

New cap short old cap tall, both are 71-73 caps?

1985_21_02_13_6_27_33.jpeg

1985_21_02_13_6_29_54.jpeg

somebody explain this to me

Return it it looks like a 69-70 was misboxed.

did the 69-70 caps look just like the 71-73's

my 70 had a pop open cap so im not familiar with the standard caps

1985_13_01_13_9_59_34.png

Well... My sportsroof is now fitting a 1969-70 standard gas cap PERFECTLY... I just had the 69-70 Scott Drake standard gas cap sitting in my garage and it worked perfecty...

The problem is the combination of the standard gas cap and the honeycomb grille... I´m not 100% possitive but did the 73 mach 1 use this combination from factory, standard gas cap and honeycomb grille??

If it did then there must be 2 styles of standard gas caps.. One for cars like mine without the honeycomb grille and a different one for Mach 1´s, with longer close system to clear the plastic... Maybe this last one is not reproduced because there are just not enough mach 1´s still fitting the standard cap??

Maybe it's just early and my eyes are just playing tricks on me but of the two gas caps pictured the one on the right look bigger in every way.
It's your eyes. The difference is in the depth of the fitting that screws into the filler neck.

-Kurt

Wouldn't surprize me if it was made differently. I got a Scott Drake shifter bezel, and it won't fit with a console... the lugs under the screw holes are taller than the original. The holes for the screws are also set deeper, so it couldn't just be trimmed to fit...

As the picture indicates, the mounting lugs are of different heights. I would call Scott Drake and send them this picture to their Customer Service with the part number you received. I do not know the differences in caps for Mach 1 or non Mach 1 as they had a non-honeycomb panel available. Talk with Drake and they will work with you to get this right.

The pop-open caps were later found to be unsafe in a rear collision.

So Ford retrofitted gas caps for the Mach1. Yours maybe one of the retrofit caps

that a dealer installed.

Do you have 6 screws around the filler opening that don't do anything but hold screws?

(they would have held on the pop-open assembly)

Not sure if Ford actually recalled the cars with the pop-open caps, I think not

since there's still many Mach1s out there with them (including mine).

The Scott Drake pop-open caps have a small screw on gas cap hidden under the pop-open, so they alot safer. I installed it on my 71 and it works perfect. My stock gas filler tube even had the slots so you can put a screw-on cap. A pop-open cap from Drake maybe an option for yours.

The pop-open caps were later found to be unsafe in a rear collision.

So Ford retrofitted gas caps for the Mach1. Yours maybe one of the retrofit caps

that a dealer installed.

Do you have 6 screws around the filler opening that don't do anything but hold screws?

(they would have held on the pop-open assembly)

Not sure if Ford actually recalled the cars with the pop-open caps, I think not

since there's still many Mach1s out there with them (including mine).

The Scott Drake pop-open caps have a small screw on gas cap hidden under the pop-open, so they alot safer. I installed it on my 71 and it works perfect. My stock gas filler tube even had the slots so you can put a screw-on cap. A pop-open cap from Drake maybe an option for yours.
I'm thinking they should all be 5-holes, not 6. Mine had a pop-open as well, but the cover was snapped off - notice my sig-pic below. 4 of the screws mount from the outside of the car, and the bottom right is a stud that has a nut threaded on from the inside (for anti-theft purposes, I'm guessing). I grabbed a pop-open reproduction from Don [OMS] and it came with a standard plain-Jane screw-on cap (not sure if it was Scott Drake or not, but it's pretty dang nice either way). The pop-open portion is now just a really neat flip-down cover for the screw-on cap.

The reason I'm so familiar with it is because I just had to reconfigure mine this past weekend: some bonehead (OK - it was me rofl ) stuffed the filler neck in from the inside of the trunk, and not the outside - the plain-Jane cap had issues fitting properly (Gee... wonder why). Had to drop the tank to get the filler neck un-wedged out of there, re-hang the tank, and put it all back together properly. Now the plain-Jane cap actually fits like it's supposed to, without having the extra thickness of the tail light panel to contend with.

Back