restoration help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgillispie

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach 1
i have started to restoring my 1971 mach 1 f/b and ive run into a little problem. the quarter panel extension mounting bracket, i guess you would call it, is rusted real bad on the passenger side and i cant find anything to replace it because it needed quarters anyways.

anyone know what to do?

i have started to restoring my 1971 mach 1 f/b and ive run into a little problem. the quarter panel extension mounting bracket, i guess you would call it, is rusted real bad on the passenger side and i cant find anything to replace it because it needed quarters anyways.

anyone know what to do?
Do you need just the section behind the extension or do you need the trunk lip / w-strip area too

I think I have a good one

Don

the trunk corner is still good its just whats under the extension i cant find the piece on any website or catalog

ill get some pics in a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it this part? If so, they don't make 'em as aftermarket.

404729_335871923090399_1185929464_n.jpg

407694_335871946423730_1106498047_n.jpg

430056_375279212483003_1993297274_n.jpg

396568_375279239149667_50697524_n.jpg

422164_379616188715972_1116027888_n.jpg

I had a local junk yard hack off the corners from a donor car. If yours is the driver side, I might be able to help you out, as I still have the 'new' piece from the 'yard car. If it's the passenger side, I already used it. ;)

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I'm a zero in mechanic

Please help me in this restoration

Anyone knows the answer?

IMG-20160705-WA0010.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

The canister is a vacuum reserve tank for the cars with A/C. The doors and motors of the system are operated by engine vacuum. The tank held vacuum in reserve so that the settings would stay under low vacuum situations, ie; heavy acceleration. Without it, the doors and motors return to their resting position, which IIRC is full defrost. I don't remember which nipple is which, but one will go to the vacuum tree on the back of the manifold. There are two vacuum lines coming out of a grommet on the firewall by the heater hoses, one goes to this canister, the other to the hot water shut off valve on the hoses.

The plug in your air cleaner housing is blocking off where the crankcase breather and filter are supposed to be. Looks like you have an aftermarket set of valve covers.

Looks like a custom ignition setup and that is the weirdest looking starter solenoid I've ever seen. Seems that you are missing your voltage regulator, unless it's been moved?

As I see the fuel line corresponding to EVAP system (vapor) should be connected in the smaller canister tube/plug/role. Is that correct?

I will post more pictures during the day.

thanks a lot for the help so far.

The canister is a vacuum reserve tank for the cars with A/C. The doors and motors of the system are operated by engine vacuum. The tank held vacuum in reserve so that the settings would stay under low vacuum situations, ie; heavy acceleration. Without it, the doors and motors return to their resting position, which IIRC is full defrost. I don't remember which nipple is which, but one will go to the vacuum tree on the back of the manifold. There are two vacuum lines coming out of a grommet on the firewall by the heater hoses, one goes to this canister, the other to the hot water shut off valve on the hoses.

The plug in your air cleaner housing is blocking off where the crankcase breather and filter are supposed to be. Looks like you have an aftermarket set of valve covers.

Looks like a custom ignition setup and that is the weirdest looking starter solenoid I've ever seen. Seems that you are missing your voltage regulator, unless it's been moved?

Any Ideas?

Help please

9.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

I see you are in S.A. so there are probably some differences in how the cars are put together for down there. Was is built in U.S. or Mexico?

I don't see an oil fill cap on the left side valve cover how do you put oil into the engine? There should be lots of pictures of how the hoses go on the forum. The PCV positive crankcase ventilator is needed to keep moisture and dirt out of your engine.

Looks to me like you have maybe two Right Hand valve covers? Something odd?

Do a search for Vacuum lines and PVC in the search box sure you will find pictures. The solenoid is probably something that got substituted or used in S.A..

But the car was made in the USA.

Was imported.

Now I just have f...ed up everything!

I towed my car about 15 meters backwards with another car yesterday......

Surprise!!

Today I installed the fuel tank again, start the car ok, but the transmission does not work anymore!!

really sad sad think....

"you can't tow an automatic car with the wheels on the ground...."

Guys..... do you think i totally broke the transmission? End of history?

Is there any hope?

I thought so.... I got in neutral, My wife and I tried to push... it was too heavy... gone about 1 meter.... so i had the brilliant idea to tow with her car....

Since my transmission is dead now ..... maybe it was on P or D...

::shrug:::(:(:(

Did you put the car in neutral prior to towing it?

Did the wheels turn freely while pulling the car? If it was in Park or Drive they would have skidded across the surface. If it was in Park or Drive and the wheels turned freely while towing the Trans was likely damaged prior to you towing it.

The other car towed it easily.... about 12 meters...

In Neutral I think.

But the transmission was working before that..

Another think I notice is that the carburetor butterfly valve does not move anymore when I push the accelerator pedal... And the carburetor is spitting gas.....

Did the wheels turn freely while pulling the car? If it was in Park or Drive they would have skidded across the surface. If it was in Park or Drive and the wheels turned freely while towing the Trans was likely damaged prior to you towing it.

My carburetor is flooding gas...

I found out it has parts missing.

Can you help me identify what is it?

Can this be responsible for the flooding of gas out of it???

see the pictures of the missing part

parte faltando carburador.jpg

parte faltando carburador 2.jpg

Back