Does ETHANOL added GAS destroy carbs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hetrickw

Reaction score
My Car
I recently had to clean/rebuild most of my fairly new Holley 4150 carb. I noticed that only after being used very little over 4 years the O-rings/seals on the needle & seats and the diaphragms in the accelerator pumps were deteriorating severely. The (regular) gas I use is fresh with multiple filters and new tank.

All gas now seems to be blended with ethanol. I'm assuming this is the problem. Does anyone use ad additive? Also, what grade gas should I use now. I have a 351W.

If it's the issue, why the heck is NASCAR and every one else endorsing this crap?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Bill

I wouldn't use gas with Ethanol. I would also look out for gas stations with additives, you may notice this too when rebuilding your carb the next time.

I am sure it comes down to money -- more than likely tax payer money -- read about NASCAR's partnership with Growth Energy and National Corn Growers Association. Whenever I ask why, I like to see a Muckety graph showing relationships -- the one for Growth Energy is interesting.

http://www.muckety.com/Growth-Energy/5060670.muckety

Last edited by a moderator:
In my area I would get the highest octane available for 100% Gas (no ethanol) for my 302 Mustang.

Simple answer Bill... yes, ethanol is harmful to most seals and "rubber" components in carburetors. There are some rubber components (butyl) that hold up better to ethanol but consequently are more expensive. If your fuel is no higher than E-10 you are better off. An alcohol tester may be a good idea. Ethanol is also a very good solvent and absorbs water readily, this combimation leads to corrosion of metal parts.

As for why... I don't want to get into politics! :D

+ 1 with Jeff

But the octane you need depends on your compression ratio

With octane the higher rating is not always better for most motors

Does anyone use ad additive? Also, what grade gas should I use now. I have a 351W.

If it's the issue, why the heck is NASCAR and every one else endorsing this crap?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Bill
+2 too above....And i stay away from them snake oil additives...I asked my cousin who is a engineer about them once...And he said they claim to gain 5 too 7 points oct..But thats miss using words.. if you got 91 octang gas in and add that stuff that claims 5 or 7 points you would thinking..wow 96 octane.......Nope...it will be 91.5 octane...even the best ones your lucky to gain a point...Your better off adding racing gas or finding higher octane fuel.

But i would stay away from any of that stuff if your not built for it "seals and old gas lines"

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info. I live in South TExas and ALL the gas stations down here have 10% corn in them. I guess I'm going to start consistently adding STABIL. So no harm in g oing to higher ocatane gas? I have a stock 351W no upgrades on the block.

Thanks again for ANY input.

Bill

Depending on this summer/winter blend b.s. excuse for oil companies to raise prices, you may not be able to find ethanol free gas, depending on location and time of year.

Would not use any gas with ethanol. I ran non-oxygenated no ethanol gas in my 66 stang for over 10 years with no carb problems. My son ran "regular" 92 octane in his 66 and had numberous problems with everything from the carb to fuel pumps. I left non-ox no ethanol gas in my outboard boat one time for six years and it fired right up and ran good. To find ethanol-free gas in your area go to; www.pure-gas.org.

The latest Federal push is E-15, lots of debate on both sides of the issue. Bottom line those with newer cars tend to be OK with the increase to 15% ethanol but those of us that have older cars tend not to accept it's "OK" for our cars.

The EPA, in support of E-15, claims the fear of damages is a false arguement against ethanol. They have coomunication out explaining the use of E-15 is "fine" in older cars if appropriate additives are used, which are readly avialable in any auto parts store. They don't mention what those additives are and I question that additives would counter the effects ethanol has on our older engines. I'm thinking who ever prepared the EPA response confused ethanol damages with decreasing octane concerns.

If you live near an ocean, lakes or rivers, try buying gas at a marine station, as they typically sell non-ethanol gas. I only use 91 Octane ethanol-free in my '66 and all of my small engines (lawn mowers, etc.).

I had to rebuild my Quadrajet carburetor on my boat motor last summer. It was pretty bad inside. I've was told it was because of the ethanol.

EPA and truthfulness are not synonymous. They have an agenda and they believe the end justifies the means.
+ 100
EPA has NOTHING to do with efficiency or what is factual. It is purely a political regulation arm of the Executive branch, and will write new legislation to fit the agenda of whatever the current administration happens to be. Unfortunately I have no pure gas around me.

My carb is about one year old now and I think it was designed to handle ethanol.

The only gas around here non-ethanol would be the 100 octane racing gas available

at the pump from a couple of local gas stations, but $8 a gallon. No doubt the 4V

quench Cleveland I bought from Don a little over a year ago would love it.

Will need to contact Holley about the ethanol issue.

mike

Texas has requested waivers from the increasingly burdensome ethanol mandate but has been denied by the EPA. Go figure! Governor Perry doesn't get along with B.H.O.! So, no stations in my town of a couple million. I'll just have to use additives and hope they work. Here is a little something I found w/in the last few months..... your town to come next over the next 4 years......

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/268453-epa-rejects-bids-to-waive-ethanol-mandate

Thanks all,

Bill

You may be able to find the nearest station that sells pure gas here: http://pure-gas.org/

The are just a couple stations in the entire Denver metropolitan area. I guess I'm lucky to find one at all.

My 71 is all original. I'm the second owner. It sat a long time before I bought it -- it has less than 40k miles -- but the original owner had recently had the Ford dealer clean it up. Per the service record: "internal carburetor components varnished over" so they rebuilt the carb, removed and cleaned the tank, and the rest of the fuel system.

That wasn't too long before I bought it, but it had normal pump gas in it. I filled it with pure gas and it definitely runs better, and starts a LOT easier.

Back