Finally coming home with money for the car!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armyfox

Reaction score
ft. campbell, ky (originally from Missouri)
My Car
1973 Mach 1 'Q' Automatic, Future Daily Driver!
Hey everyone,

I should be leaving Afghanistan in a couple of weeks or less! I got a budget of around 3000-3500 for my 73 mach that I havent seen in person yet :). I am sure I will take a few pics and post them up. I already play on new rims/tires, exhaust, radio/speakers, fuel tank/lines, and anything the brakes need (probably almost completely new). Hopefully I can stay within my budget...if not the wife said I could maybe go over :D. I do have questions on the items I am wanting. Main one is I was trying to find a flowmaster exhaust setup for my car but couldnt find a setup already made for the 71-73 cars. Am I just being silly and looking in the wrong places? What have you guys done for an exhaust setup? I almost bought a set of 15x7 and 15x8 magnum 500 rims with 225x60 and 275x60 tires on them from CJPonies. Is that a good setup? I almost went with the original rims b/c I love them to death, but I think I am just going to keep them as a spare set since they are only 14". Any advice and opinions is much appreciated! Thank you :)

Thanks for your service. If you're going the header route, I would buy the headers, mufflers and X or H pipe and let the muffler shop cut and weld the rest to get the best fit. Good luck and get home safe.

:salute: The way I went on my exhaust was to have a local shop build mine. I went with an H pipe the first time and during the tranny swap had to have some rework done to clear the new cross member and went with an X pipe. The X is twice as quiet on the inside of my car. Many arguments on which is better, just do some research and choose the best for you. My buddies says the car sounds the same on the road from the outside. Plenty of good parts out there just make yourself a plan being your on a budget and make priorities. I once had a budget till the project started then all H$%^ broke loose with going overboard:D Now I just throw the receipts in a folder and maybe one day I will have the nerve to look/add them all up.

Hey everyone,

I should be leaving Afghanistan in a couple of weeks or less! I got a budget of around 3000-3500 for my 73 mach that I havent seen in person yet :). I am sure I will take a few pics and post them up. I already play on new rims/tires, exhaust, radio/speakers, fuel tank/lines, and anything the brakes need (probably almost completely new). Hopefully I can stay within my budget...if not the wife said I could maybe go over :D. I do have questions on the items I am wanting. Main one is I was trying to find a flowmaster exhaust setup for my car but couldnt find a setup already made for the 71-73 cars. Am I just being silly and looking in the wrong places? What have you guys done for an exhaust setup? I almost bought a set of 15x7 and 15x8 magnum 500 rims with 225x60 and 275x60 tires on them from CJPonies. Is that a good setup? I almost went with the original rims b/c I love them to death, but I think I am just going to keep them as a spare set since they are only 14". Any advice and opinions is much appreciated! Thank you :)

Good luck on that build.

as for exquast....Usualy you have to take your old original muffler in a muffler shop and pick out the size of tube you want "if you havent got them already" And they will bend the flowmaster to fit your original bends...You can buy a proper h or x pipe cross over too from cj pony or im sure don from ohio mustang on here has one...That is made for 71-73 mustangs

And i dont blame you on liking the original rims...i still slotted originals on the front and a little wider slotted on back..still runing 14's.....Im planing on getting the spendy raised letter firestones for her.

Happy you are coming home safe! Thanks for your service.

Good luck with the Mach 1. +1 on the slotted factory wheels on the 73's!

Ray

I'm glad to hear you are on your way back to the world. Thank you for serving the people of the United States. If you don't want to use a custom muffler shop, or don't have access to a good shop, this is one option. http://www.mustangbarn.com look on page 46. It is a quasi-custom exhaust system that comes with Flowmaster mufflers. They seem to be willing to mix and match parts to get you what you want, in case you decide on different mufflers. Good luck and thanks again. Chuck

Great news on returning home. Make sure you spend some quality time with your family before jumping too deep into your car. Keep us posted.

Good luck on a safe return. I too love the slotted wheels. I believe American Racing offers them in 17x8. I would like a wider wheel/tire in the rear. I'm actually going 245 in the front and 275 in the rear. Just me.

As for exhaust, I agree with an X-pipe. You can get them from Bassani. I'm sure other places offer them as well. I took my X-pipe and my Magnaflows to a local exhaust shop and had him bend/weld me up a full length exhaust.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
15x8 Ansen Sprints. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-a695865

IMG_15101.jpg

I installed a pair of Headman headers and a dual exhaust kit from Summit racing. It took an entire day to install everything, it wasn't the easiest install, but I completed it myself and was cheaper than using a muffler shop. I even ordered the stainless tips and welded them on after measuring a few times. If you are handy and have time, and want to stretch your money do it yourself. If you don't mind spending an extra 200 take it to a shop. Rims are always a hard choice to pick something you'll like and not regret later on, so if you must just wait until you are sure. I also purchased my magnums from Summit, it is hard to beat their prices. I just don't care for the center caps. (The push on style kinda suck).

There always the Torque Thrust style wheels. I just bought some from wheelsforless.com

Thank you all! I am leaning towards just polishing up the old 14" originals and slapping some new tires on them. I am going to look up on a tire calculator what I can possibly go. As far as exhaust sounds like I just need to pick some mufflers up and get a muffler shop to hook me up. I appreciate all the advice :)

Good luch with it all. Just remember, if you plan to go with a set of "performance brakes", you'll probably want to go with at least a 16 inch wheel.

Back