Powder Coating at home

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Hey guys just wondering if anyone is doing their own powder coating at home?? I was going to have my intake and valve cover powdercoated. Called around and it seems to run around $90-100 total for these items to be coated. Not bad. Then I looked at eastwoods starter kit and I think I may go ahead and try it myself. Heres their kit. http://www.eastwood.com/powder-gun-promo-kit.html Been doing some research and it seems pretty simple. And I have an old electric oven my parents gave me that I used to cook bologna and deer jerky in. So now that will become my powdercoating oven. For the price I cant seem to go wrong. I also have access to a good bead blaster cabinet to clean the parts. So if it fits in a regular oven I will be in good shape. Figured I could do my motor brackets and pulleys too. Any of you guys that have done this let me know your thoughts and helpful hints. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks Kevin

You don't want to use your food oven again after cooking parts and powdercoat in it.

I have a harbor freight gun kit that I'm modifying per some of the internet sites. Modify the internal venturi, remove the tip.

I have a converted baking rack made into my oven. 5 foot high internal by 32 by 26. Insulated sides and door, then it has a movable bottom plate with the burner elements attached and temp sensor. I have electronic controls for temp and timer and am using solid state relays to switch the 220v to the burners. Works like a charm! Put in the powder coated parts, bring up to temp at 400 degrees and hold for 20 minutes then shut the heat off.

Some parts need to be baked first to outgas any chemicals in the metal. If you don't do this, the coating won't come out right.

There are various great sites with powder coat forums to gain insight and great suggestions on powder coating. Powder by the Pound is who I've bought some supplies from and some even have control electronics already built.

Back