I'm making an ebay alternative

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Sportster Project
I've been a member here for awhile now and have always heard the frustration about it and I've even delt with it firsthand. So, I jumped in with both feet.

I bought my domain names and had some software developed, waiting on new pc to arrive. Still finishing legal mumbo-jumbo and hosting and other little stuff like that..

This was also born out of frustration of trying to restore various cars over the years, I got tired of craigslist and chasing all the dead end posts or hearing from scamer's that were out of the country right now. As far as ebay is concerned, aren't you tired of paying fees on top of fees -to list and to sell, to post pics and whatever else? Well I was so I decided to do something about it. Do I want to compete with them? Nope..I'm a car guy. And I just want to make our hobby, be it a hemi or pinto, a bit easier on the pocketbook. What about the forums classifieds you say? Not tryin to beat that either..it's a great source for stuff. I just have this idea to make a better auction style site for all of us in the classic car hobby be it ford-chevy etc..and I think as I spead some word to various forums as well as some marketing, I can make this well recieved and grow.

The site will contain some of the things that first brought you to ebay when it was simple.

Based on a working mans wallet, everything will have a one time flat fee based on an item, plus some other neat things like a barter/trade feature.

For example; to list a car on the site, it would cost $15 only. Got just a single part? Just 5 bucks..No charge for pics or anything else. And definitely nothing on the backend from your profit. And of course 71-73stang members recieve a discount.

There will also be alot more payment gateways than just paypal too! The site is totally safe and encripted and I will absolutely not share, or sell private info which seems to be the norm...Like I said before, if you guys can think of other helpful ideas, be sure to send 'em my way, or just let me know good or bad if I'm on the right track...

Also, it only deals with cars & parts form the 30's to the 90's. Just classic cars, trucks, muscle cars etc..No more searching on that "other" site for say a piece of hood trim and coming up with two pages of floral seat covers and big wings with led lights..

Sounds like a neat idea,I have always hated dealing with e bay & c-list.

How did a company like e-bay succeed?

What steps did it take to get it's recognition?

With all the negative feelings, how does it continue to have success?

Just a few questions you'll have to research to make a go of it.

How did a company like e-bay succeed?

What steps did it take to get it's recognition?

With all the negative feelings, how does it continue to have success?

Just a few questions you'll have to research to make a go of it.
I know Steven, and you hit it right on the head. Sometimes it feels like an uphill battle with all the software, the hosting..the legalities of it all. But I'm determined to make a site for all us car guys.. We need to have a site with just a flat rate fee base for this hobby. We all work a 40 hr week and have to balance time with families as well as the checkbook. The last time I looked, due to the economy, our hobby is on the back burner. How many of you go out in the garage and think .."someday". I want to see those dreams realized for all of us. I still have such great memories of my pop teaching me to change the oil in the buick..didnt you enjoy showing your son or daughter?

We don't need all these crazy things that ebay does to make a profit. Nor do we have to put up with it.

I'm just a car guy..I'm not trying to "take on" those big guys, get rich or anything else. Cars are my hobby, I look at and oodle over cars of every make. I've built up everything from Z28's to a 73 Torino with a battering ram of a bumper and loved every busted knuckle and ramen soup-dollar saving moment. That's the spirit of this site..because everyone of you have been there...and it's time to bring that spirit back..

Just to make everyone feel alittle safer, I am an LLC, and there will be all of the same terms on my auction site as ebay for protection for the buyer, and the seller, as well as myself. There will be a end user license agreement just like ebay -and boilerplate seller contract just like ebay. Of course there will be feedback and rebuttal. Again this is a ebay "clone" if you will, but is however a site built with the integrity of most people being honest hot rodders out there. And yes there will be a bad apple here and there...but you also take that risk everywhere else.

I have set up accounts with the reg gateways of Visa/MC, Paypal and Goog checkout. These are the 3rd parties to help manage the transactions, and you will have the protection of their services should you use them in your payment options. I have decided not to put in the barter option. That is (as I'm finding out) a really grey area.

Just to make everyone feel alittle safer, I am an LLC, and there will be all of the same terms on my auction site as ebay for protection for the buyer, and the seller, as well as myself. There will be a end user license agreement just like ebay -and boilerplate seller contract just like ebay. Of course there will be feedback and rebuttal. Again this is a ebay "clone" if you will, but is however a site built with the integrity of most people being honest hot rodders out there. And yes there will be a bad apple here and there...but you also take that risk everywhere else.

I have set up accounts with the reg gateways of Visa/MC, Paypal and Goog checkout. These are the 3rd parties to help manage the transactions, and you will have the protection of their services should you use them in your payment options. I have decided not to put in the barter option. That is (as I'm finding out) a really grey area.
Sounds like your are doing it right. Keep us posted.

Back