Austin Vert's Floor Console Resto Saga.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

There's a wise old saying. If you want something done properly, you do it yourself. That saying applied to me, in regards trying to get hold of a decent center floor console for myself. I wanted to put one in my '73 convert as the car did not have one X factory. My first mistake was to buy last year before i joined the forum.That would have been a great help to me in regards proper pricing and availability. Since there are no repros made for '71 - '73's yet, my only option was to try Ebay. I came across one for sale and it looked quite good, so i pulled the trigger and that's where the fun began.

Part1.(The Rip)

The buy it now price on Ebay was $450.00 American:( and was being sold on the basis that it had been completely restored. It did seem expensve to me but being restored was a big plus, and i thought it is hard to get hold of one of these things as well.Also, it was being sold from around Florida way,and had to be shipped to California so it could come by boat to Australia.That meant extra money as well. When it arrived, i checked it over carefully, and discovered the so called resoration was very second rate. It stared it's factory life as a Ginger Colored console from what year i don't know.Basically, it had been given a wham bam make over and attention to detail was very poor.For example, nothing had been stripped down or taken apart, bad rust was on all metal surfaces, a quick coat of matt black spray enamel was put over the whole thing, rust and all, the lid was old and stuffed with bad cracking in the vinyl,the ash tray was badly rusted and pitted and had a coat of siver paint sprayed over it, the chrome trim was in worn average condition, the original inside box liner was worn and old looking, and the clock didn't work, and had a stuffed lens as well.The only thing decent about this console was the main plastic body of the console was in good condition without any cracks or breaks or chunks missing, except for bad gouges on one side where the passengers seat had rubbed into the side of the console. Sadly, i had been ripped off, payed way too much, and realised i would have to start from scratch, and restore the console properly myself at added expense. (Mustang Masters):dodgy:

Part2. (The Resto)

I took the whole thing apart completely.I used 2 pak reducer to wash the body to get rid of the lousy matt black enamel paint that had been sprayed on the shell.That didn't affect the grained plastic finish thank God, and i refinished the shell with a good quality satin black acrylic lacquer.It came up very well.

I fully took apart,and restored the ash tray compartment, which had bad surface rust everywhere.The box lid hinge was stripped and refinished properly.All wiring and bulbs and bulb holders were cleaned and fixed.The storage box was retrimmed with a lovely black felt lining and reinstalled.To complete the resto, new parts were bought. New console plate, new ash tray, new clock lens, new console lid. The clock was professionally restored to original working condition.I even threw in a plug and chug for drinkies.Now here's the part that's hard to swallow - the costs.

Plug & Chug - $42.00/ ash tray - $28.00/ console plate - $150.00/clock lens - $20.00/ console lid - $53.00/ buy original console - $450.00/ clock repair - $180.00/ paint materials - $50.00/ liner for storage box - $25.00

Total material costs = $998.00. Total shipping and handleing costs =$271.00. That's a grand total of $1,269.00 (Oh my God! What have i done!):rolleyes:

I would have put around 35 hours labor into the project. Can you imagine what that would mean if i was to pay to have the work done instead of doing the resto myself! Anyway, i enjoyed the resto, it's the expense that's the frustrating part, and being ripped off of coarse. The end result looks great and was worth the effort i put into it.

See my photos on photobucket. Press any photo to start slide show.

And now it's off to my next resto adventure!:p

http://s1295.beta.photobucket.com/user/gregsladen/library/Center%20Floor%20Console%20Photos

Many Thanks,

Greg:)

Last edited by a moderator:
First off,nice looking job !Wished my console looked that nice! 2nd thing , I feel your pain,hard to buy stuff online when you can't see it (would"nt it be nice if everyone was truthful),it's hard enough to find these parts when you live in the same country.Why does'nt someone start reproducing the big console as well?

First off,nice looking job !Wished my console looked that nice! 2nd thing , I feel your pain,hard to buy stuff online when you can't see it (would"nt it be nice if everyone was truthful),it's hard enough to find these parts when you live in the same country.Why does'nt someone start reproducing the big console as well?
Thanks K,

How very, very, very, very, very, very, very RIGHT you are!

Wow that's pricey.

Hey Austin how did you restore the lid? I'm about to start one of these also and the lid seems to be a softer material and not sure if regular interior paint will work on it. It's a soft plastic.

It does look brand new. Nice attention to detail in your work. Kudos!

Thank you, Mark, 73 Stang, & Steven for your kind words and positve feedback. It means a lot.

Regards,

Wow that's pricey.

Hey Austin how did you restore the lid? I'm about to start one of these also and the lid seems to be a softer material and not sure if regular interior paint will work on it. It's a soft plastic.

It does look brand new. Nice attention to detail in your work. Kudos!
Hi Cole,

Thanks for your words of praise. In my case, i bought a new lid for this restoration. Well worth the money i think. Painting flexible plastics has always been a tricky business. I am a pro auto spraypainter, and if you decide to definately end up spraypainting the lid yourself and not buy a new one, and want some practical painting advice, send me a private message, and i can give you some good tips to help you along.

Very nice job.

Did you mean to say you bought from an outfit called 'Mustang Masters' in Florida? If that's the outfit I'm thinking of, they are really bad news. For years no one on any Mustang site has said anything positive about them. You're lucky you got something you could work with...

Very nice job.

Did you mean to say you bought from an outfit called 'Mustang Masters' in Florida? If that's the outfit I'm thinking of, they are really bad news. For years no one on any Mustang site has said anything positive about them. You're lucky you got something you could work with...
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your kind words. Yes Bill, i did buy from them. From what you say, it would seem that i have been lucky indeed to get something that i could work with.Can you imagine me receiving the console, and finding that it had really major problems. Trying to return the product back to America and getting your money back would be a logistical nightmare that would drag on forever. On the Ebay site, it stated that this seller had a top rating. Really?

I guess it rienforces the point i made in my thread, that being a member of this forum can be very important in being protected from dodgy dealers and the like.There is definately a brotherhood in the forum, where

members are looking out for you and watching your back.I can only give praise and thanks to the founding members and good forum members for that.

As i mentioned, if i had connected with the forum before i purchased this console, i would have been spared the agony of my situation.When i joined the forum, i said you never stop learning. How true that is!

Many thanks,

I hope you gave negative feedback once who got a good look at the console they sold you!

Your console looks great now.

Hello Mike,

I hope you're keeping well.Thanks for your kind words. By giving negative feedback i assume you mean did i contact Mustang Masters and complain straight after i opened the delivered box and inspect the console.

No, i didn't. In this particular case, i figured the best option was to cut my losses and run. I felt that they would shun me and / or make it very hard to try and return the console. It took around three months by ship to get delivered to Australia in the first place. Paying them initially for the purchase of the console, was an ordeal in itself, and showed me that they were slippery to deal with, and going to be a problem. In other words, the whole thing gave me warning signs of a bad omen.

The only satisfaction i got was to decide never to to business with the company again, and of course, warn others via the forum of what to expect.

I hope you're enjoying your Mustang, and it's running well. Right now, i'm giving my '73 a big interior make over and upgrade plus installing a new Classic air conditioning system. In the future, i hope to post more bits and pieces of the interior project with lots of photos.

Take care Mike and all the best,

I hope you gave negative feedback once who got a good look at the console they sold you!

Hello Mike,

I hope you're keeping well.Thanks for your kind words. By giving negative feedback i assume you mean did i contact Mustang Masters and complain straight after i opened the delivered box and inspect the console.

No, i didn't. In this particular case, i figured the best option was to cut my losses and run. I felt that they would shun me and / or make it very hard to try and return the console. It took around three months by ship to get delivered to Australia in the first place. Paying them initially for the purchase of the console, was an ordeal in itself, and showed me that they were slippery to deal with, and going to be a problem. In other words, the whole thing gave me warning signs of a bad omen.

The only satisfaction i got was to decide never to to business with the company again, and of course, warn others via the forum of what to expect.

I hope you're enjoying your Mustang, and it's running well. Right now, i'm giving my '73 a big interior make over and upgrade plus installing a new Classic air conditioning system. In the future, i hope to post more bits and pieces of the interior project with lots of photos.

Greg, In your first post it appears you made the purchase on eBay, so I was referring to the eBay system where where buyers and sellers can leave feedback about the transaction. I was just curious if you left negative feedback for the seller on eBay.

Nice job indeed.
Many thanks for that sir!

Hello Mike,

Greg, In your first post it appears you made the purchase on eBay, so I was referring to the eBay system where where buyers and sellers can leave feedback about the transaction. I was just curious if you left negative feedback for the seller on eBay.
Mike,

I see what you're getting at now. To be honest, doing that never occured to me. I must confess i really don't use Ebay much at all, and i've never sold anything on Ebay as well.But yes, that would have been the logical thing to do at the time, and now that you've mentioned it, i'm sorry i didn't take advantage of the situation at the time.

Oh well never mind:blush:

Greg.

I sure hope my hundred dollar dash comes out that nice. I drove 400 miles this morning to get it and I could not be happier. No cracks, clock lens clean. I will study this to make sure I get the stripping right because it looks to me like someone sprayed at some point in the past. Hope the plastichrome is still there so I don't have to mess with it.

What finish is the paint, satin?

Back